Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Started this process on my 40 acres years ago and it is on going. My 40 acre home site sets with a hollar and creek with field right down the midle as well as a 1 acre pond. Pond is really dependent on if the beavers feel up to maintaining their dam. On the sides of the valley are rock outcroppings with little to no soil on the shelves. Remenats of their open grassy nature are still visable but were numbered in days as cedars had almost closed them in and crowded out most of the post and chinquupin oaks that once thrieved. Let me just say cedar trees are really quite remarkable in the placed they can grow and density. I've cut many a large cedars groing on nothing but bed rock and been overwhelmed by just how many post sized cedars can grow in a 20x20 area. Iv left cedars attached at the cut by the littlest sliver and come back a year later to see their branches turned into new trunks. If cedars ever develop fire resistance and ability to sprout from stump i doubt any other tree could ever compete. Seeing the gladed that could be once again opened with dominat chinquipin oaks underaid with wildgrasses and flowers made me start cutting. Habitat improvement. Apart from a bit of thermal cover from young cedars they offer very little benefit of any kind in the state they had gotten. Pics to follow

·
Registered
3,260 Posts
@vauxz do you have any common buckthorn coming in? I’ve done quite a bit of glade restoration and on my land common buckthorn is trying to take over. I’ve burnt it once and going to do it again in the next month or two but I’m thinking I’m going to have to spray it.

·
Registered
486 Posts
This is great! I'll be clearing most of the cedars off my property this winter and thinning out the oaks. My property was logged years ago and has some decent mast but lots of under story that needs to go. I'm going with the hack & squirt method on the oaks and will slowly clear them out this spring once everything else greens up. I had 2 acres completely cleared out last summer and will be seeding that next month with clover and rye.

·
Slayer of $$$ Birds
7,802 Posts
I have a 21 acre glade we have been working on for about 3 years now. It's 1/2 way finished, and I'm hoping to run a fire through it this year. It's pretty amazing to see the woods open up like it has. 3 years ago you couldn't get 10 yards into the place. Now you can get back about 600 yards. Keep after it.

·
Under appreciated
92,618 Posts
I have a couple of areas in mind as well. I'll do some before and after but I am going to start removing some small trees, treating stumps etc in a few areas.

Anxous to see what takes over in those areas.

Reactions: vauxz

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
What is the biggest benefit from doing this
? Once cleared, do you burn once a year to keep unwanted growth from coming back?
Biggest benifit is it opens up the ground for grasses and flowers shrubs and more desirable tree starts. It also eliminates the oaks competition for nutrients and especially water. The soil is thin and rocky not alot of moisture retention so when its dry the oaks just cant compete with the cedars and die off. The grasses flowers and shrubs provide alot more food sources and cover for deer turkey rabbits pretty much everything. In theory it should also help increase nut production in remaining oaks since they have less competition. Ya i burn quit a bit. Usually every other year. If im trying to really kill brush to favor grass ill burn 2yrs in a row with second burn being in growing season in spring. Seems to kill more when they are completely greened up. If you every do burn do research and plan ahead and pay close attention to relative humidity

·
Registered
1,627 Posts
Biggest benifit is it opens up the ground for grasses and flowers shrubs and more desirable tree starts. It also eliminates the oaks competition for nutrients and especially water. The soil is thin and rocky not alot of moisture retention so when its dry the oaks just cant compete with the cedars and die off. The grasses flowers and shrubs provide alot more food sources and cover for deer turkey rabbits pretty much everything. In theory it should also help increase nut production in remaining oaks since they have less competition. Ya i burn quit a bit. Usually every other year. If im trying to really kill brush to favor grass ill burn 2yrs in a row with second burn being in growing season in spring. Seems to kill more when they are completely greened up. If you every do burn do research and plan ahead and pay close attention to relative humidity
I have done a few burns but still a rookie. I have been slowly removing cedars on our place but it's been a slow process.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts