Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had to make an emergency trip to BASS PRO and thought I would treat myself to a sit down lunch . I went in to the lone star and ordered a rare serloin with chips and sour cream . They brought this thing out and it looked pretty good . Took a bite and damn near puked . THEY PUT SEASONING SALT ON MY STEAK AND CINNAMON IN THE BUTTER . I don't know about you but in my world a steak gets nothing but salt and fresh ground pepper . These Texans ain't right . I let the waitress know that this is an unexceptable way to treat a dead cow and if the holstine that donated her good cream to make that butter found out about that cinnamon trick , she would probably boycott the milking parlor .
I asked the Korean waitress with the " don't mess with texas " T shirt , that kept calling me " hun" & "sweety" and kept touching my shoulder , that when she was done line dancing in the isle with the boy from New Jersey , that she could truck that ruined piece of cow back to the kitchen and cook me another and while she was at it , bring me some unadulterated butter .
This may be the way Texans treat their steaks but this is Missouri . We know better .
Most people don't know this , but Missouri has more cattle , horses and cowboys than Texas . This is cattle country and we know our steak . Those poor Texans don't even have white oak or hickory to cook with . No wonder they do wierd stuff to their food . They got this big tall weed called meskeet that makes your meat tast like it was smoked with grocery bags . I shudder to think that they may be doing these horrible things with OUR beef ......................... anyway .................. When I finally got my replacement lunch . It was a very common steak . Nothing unusual . Just a piece of meat with frozen fries .
I do not reccomend the LONE STAR and have lowered my opinion of texans in general .
I don't like their bar-b-que either . They bury it in a hole and steam cook it . Oh well , what else you gonna do if you dont have hickory .

·
Under appreciated
92,120 Posts
I had a similar experience at the same location, different food but prolly the same waitress. Slow service, bad food, ect.

They got guts to claim Texas roots... couldnt be further from the truth.

·
Super Moderator
7,792 Posts
Well, I can't anything good about the place either. My family went there to try it out, there were 5 of us and a baby. They had 2 girls holding the doors open (and that's it) and then 5 more standing at the hostess counter to say welcome to lonestar and do nothing else. They told us it would be 10-15 minutes. We waited 10-15 minutes as they seated some other smaller parties, then went to see, and they said it wouldn't be much longer. We waited another 30 minutes and they still hadn't seated us, but all the while had been seating groups of 2-4 people with no problem. One of the "special" door holders told us that the problem was that they hadn't been trained to handle parties of more than 3 or 4, and this wasn't even during a peak time. I can't comment on the food because we left and went to the Catfish Corner instead.

·
Registered
70,470 Posts
In Independence there is a Lone Star and a Longhorn Steak house just a couple blocks from each other on 39th St. and 291 Hiway. I will not eat at the Lone Star at all. At the Longhorn they put what they call praire dust on it. I always ask them to cut the praire dust in half. It does give it a good flavor. I have eaten at the Lone Star 4 times just in case I got a bad waitress or bad cut of meat. Each time the service sucked cause the sassy little filly spent most of her time flirting with the two young studs at the next table. All four times my steak had a huge grissle running clear through the steak and it wasn't cooked right. I will never go back. Longhorn isn't the best in the world but it beats the heck out of Lone Star.

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Originally posted by Ginger
They had 2 girls holding the doors open (and that's it) and then 5 more standing at the hostess counter to say welcome to lonestar and do nothing else.
Now isn't that the truth! We expierienced the same thing at Outback. Two holding the door and three of four leaning over the hostess stand snaping gum and giggling with each other.

Unfortunatly, we were not smart enough to walk out. We we finally sat down about an hour later at a table not FOUR INCHES apart from another couple. Now I am a social guy and we got along fine with the couple--even laughed about it with them. Buy when I bring my lady out to dinner it is to be with HER.

We later recieved our mediocre, overpriced, overseasoned meals and vowed never to return. That was over two years ago!

·
Registered
193 Posts
[/quote]

Now isn't that the truth! We expierienced the same thing at Outback. Two holding the door and three of four leaning over the hostess stand snaping gum and giggling with each other. [/quote]
Both franchises owned by the same company. steaks are equally as good in texas or down under. Same crappie seasoning on both just minus the peanut halls in Australia.:hysterical:

·
Under appreciated
92,120 Posts
Bout like a Ponderosa with a liquor liscense....

·
Registered
8,772 Posts
Originally posted by rat
Bout like a Ponderosa with a liquor liscense....
:hysterical::hysterical::hysterical::hysterical::hysterical:

Yeah but ya know what to expect in a Ponderosa.;)

Jack

·
Registered
13,832 Posts
Montana Mike's, that's a pretty good steakhouse, at least, the one in Lawrence, KS is. They are opening one here in Louisville pretty soon, and my old belly is getting worked up over it. The VERY BEST steakhouse I've ever been to, was Cliff Hagan's Ribeyes, but they couldn't make a go of it.

·
Registered
8,772 Posts
Glenn I get over to Lawrence every once in awhile so I'm gonna have to try that place.:dancin:

Jack

·
VECtor Custom Calls
41,499 Posts
Shoulda gone to Longhorn! :D Ate 3 steaks from two different Longhorns in the last week! (Thanks for giving me that steak hankering Clansey!)

Parker

·
just a no body
15,625 Posts
thats the thing about food..everybody likes it their own way..place would'nt be in buisness unless some one liked it

I have found tho that..these places have nothing to do about Texas & the cooking its all about decour.
I wil concur tho ..Longhorn is good stuff ..lone star is just golden coral grade food

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
Lets hope that the new Colton's Steakhouse and Grill in Jefferson City is a little better than the experiences described at Lone Star.....

Anyway,I'm anxious to try it out!!

·
Registered
13,832 Posts
Ponderosa needs a better grade of shoeleather, maybe real leather instead of that "pleather" stuff.

·
Registered
197 Posts
I agree about the salt...sometimes pepper. I like mine barely cooked, can freak other people out if they haven't seen it before.

BUT...I'm pretty sure MO is second to...Texas in cattle production.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.