Report from the woods...

Discussion in 'Turkey Hunting General' started by Wooddust, Apr 27, 2006.

1. Wooddust

Wooddust Active Member

Jul 26, 2003
    Day One...well it was ok, lots of early gobbles...had 6 jakes surround me ...fun to watch...didnt shoot

Day two....rain...still birds were talking and active. Seems I pick every spot they walk away from...

Day Three...silence...cold....every gobbler gobbles once, dead for the rest of the day...

Day 4...Gobbles gobbles gobbles from 620 to 930....had 5 birds I was working at once....never saw one of them. Hens cackling and carrying on like mad...

So far:

Camp food...Excellent
    Camp Company: Good to excellent..better when sober
    Hunting success: Turkeys are winning
    Morels: found 3

2. Rebel2

Rebel2 Well-Known Member

Dec 16, 2003
    Ozark, MO
    Thats what really matters :cheers:

3. Mo/Tx-Hunter

Mo/Tx-Hunter New Member

Let's see,
    Day one (Mo.) Warm, lots of gobbles, but no interest.
    Day two (still Mo) Still warm, one bird gobbled. flew down. All I could see was his head at 50 yds as he walked off all alone. When he made it to the bottom and gobbled one more time (sort of a kiss my :ass: sound) I figured I didn't have anything to lose so I gobbled back at him (pvt land, no other hunters) He did NOT like that. He came back and gobbled the whole way. Stopped at 70 yds and put on a show for the next 40 minutes but wouldn't come any closer.
    Day 3 (Indiana) Opening day, not a peep. Saw one gobbler fly up the night before but no dice on him this morning. Cold, about 35. Saw 6 deer come out of the timber about 400 yds away acting funny. Then saw what made them that way, 3 'yotes came out and moused in the tall grass.
    Day 4 (Ind) #$@#$% alarm clock failed on me and I got up too late. Went out and listened and heard one bird. I'll be back for him in the AM.