Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
11,905 Posts
It is a semi automatic clip fed high powered rifle that the production was stopped on in roughly 1980.

The new model is the 7400 which is a replacement for the 742 which was problem and jam prone.

They are basically a good rifle. It just seemed like once they started jamming there wasnt much you could do about it.

:sniper:

·
Registered
211 Posts
742's were fairly good rifles, but, because of the way they were made they would eventually wear a groove in the receiver that would cause the gun to jam. Remington addressed the problem for a while by offering to replace your 742 with a new 7400 (which is a better design), at a discounted price. They stopped that 3 or 4 years ago. There are lots of useless 742's around, but gunsmith's usually won't work on them once they start to go bad. There are still some good ones that haven't been abused, and if you only plan on taking a couple of shots to sight it in and a couple of shots at deer per year they could last a long time.

·
Registered
4,449 Posts
I don't know who all has actually had hands on experience with a bum 742, but I was around in their heyday and knew a lot of gyys who used them. Only problem that came up was useing 200 or 220 gr bullets. None of the rifles liked them. 150's and 160's worked fine. I have owned two of the rifles since the early 70's and never had any kind of problem with either. I strip mine down and inspect/clean them each year and have never noticed any unusual wear even after running bunches of militaly surplus ammo through them.

Fellow brought one to me 3 or 4 years ago he had run over(the reciever) with a truck. Dug out the plastic dust cover and the rifle functioned fine.

I can't speak to problems with this particular model cause I have never observed any.

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
My dad won two of these rifles in the early '70's. A .308 which he kept for himself and a 30-06 he gave my brother. I now own dad's rifle and it never had any problems. My brother's on the other hand started jamming a few years ago and although he took it to 3 different gun smiths it still would occationally do it. After missing out on a couple of second shots on some bucks he got rid of it.

·
Your Local Know It All
7,020 Posts
Not to jump in or anything, but buy a bolt action. You should only need one shot.

If you are looking for a great gun for the money go to Wallyworld and have them order you a Howa. I promise you won't be disappointed.

BTH

·
Under appreciated
92,881 Posts
I suggest the bolt also but if you do have an affinity for the semi-auto, might I suggest
locktite on the screw to the scope bases.. I have had'em back out due to the bucking that is inherent to that action.

·
Retired
9,535 Posts
Originally posted by Hatch
An old 742 is an excellent rifle a newer 7400 Semi Auto., Pass On IT!!!
I see someone else besides me had attempted to deer hunt with one of the 7400!:stickfight::stickfight::stickfight:

Wouldn't have one if ya attempted to give it to me!:soapbox:

·
Registered
4,005 Posts
I got a 7400 for my 18th birthday, 12 years ago and have never had a problem with it. Thats all I used up until about 3 years ago. I shoot my bolt action .270 a little more now, but occasionally shoot the 7400 with no complaints.

My 2 cents

·
Registered
3,647 Posts
The 742 .06 is an excellent rifle for what it is. It's probably not as accurate as most bolt actions but it shouldn't recoil as bad either. It's also an automatic as we know. Automatic ANYTHINGs sometimes jam. It's a fact of life.

You can only kill one deer at a time which takes one shot. I never have figured out the need for something that will sling lead like a shotgun. Having said that, if your 742 will fire once it should be ok. The clip is just for ammo storage.

·
Under appreciated
92,881 Posts
Originally posted by DShootnstGentemn
The 742 .06 is an excellent rifle for what it is. It's probably not as accurate as most bolt actions but it shouldn't recoil as bad either.

You can only kill one deer at a time which takes one shot. I never have figured out the need for something that will sling lead like a shotgun. Having said that, if your 742 will fire once it should be ok. The clip is just for ammo storage.
One shot may be all you get out of it anyways..
after you look to see that the spent casing is hung-up in the action. :banghead:

·
Under appreciated
92,881 Posts
Originally posted by DShootnstGentemn
Like I edited in rat. It's an automatic, jamming is not something that is unique to a 742. ANY automatic will sometimes jam.
Roger that Kurt..

I only have experience with the 742 and it is my backup rifle only nowadays.

Killed a plenty wiff it but I have one and only one bolt deer rifle simply because
all those yrs with the 742, I never once needed more than one shot.
I have taken immaculate care of the gun, including the action and I still had some
ejection malfuntions at the range.

·
Registered
11,905 Posts
Ive had several 7400s-the only jam I ve ever had with a 7400 was because I was leaning against a tree and the bolt travel was stopped by the tree.

Auto loaders are a great tool. If maintained will give you many years of trouble free service.

The exception to that was the 742. Thats why they introduced the 7400.

It is not a bolt but a bolt will not do what a modern semi automatic will.

Bean field hunting I use a bolt action 270. For all other hunting I use a 7400 30-06. I could not be happier.

I cannot say the same for the one 742 I owned. It was quickly sold many moons ago.

:sniper:

·
Registered
11,973 Posts
I traded a 308 742 to a fella who wanted it way more than I did. I got 2 guns in trade for it and he was like a kid with a new toy. Should I break the news to him that the gun he traded me is now worth between 600-700 bucks? Nah!

·
Registered
13,827 Posts
I wouldn't give a nickel for a river barge full of them, but I never was a good businessman. (The scrap value would be worth something).

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.