Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
5,021 Posts
Doesn’t sound like the common 700 problem. It would usually go off when the safety was flipped.
Could be dry gummy firing pin. Also could be ammo. I have seen more ammo problems in the last 12 years than ever before.

·
5,021 Posts
I just bought a trigger tech Independence Day trigger to replace my daughters. Only custom trigger I own. But it is flat out awesome.
If you want help let me know. I could at least let you see the trigger tech and give you some info.

·
Full Fledged Member
4,882 Posts
If it does fall in the range of serial #s that Remington recalled, I would highly recommend dropping in a new trigger assembly. “They” say its pretty straight forward to do. Mine went back to REM for a free one under that program. 2 other recalls came within that one but mines been exempt and functioning perfectly so far.

·
5,021 Posts
Yes it is pretty easy. Two pins push out and the trigger assembly drops down and two pins put the new one back in. I did have to use a Dremel and polish my daughters newer 700 groove that the trigger sits in to get it to drop in east. I could have pushed it in but I wanted no pressure squeezing on the trigger housing.

·
5,021 Posts
I just bought a trigger tech Independence Day trigger to replace my daughters. Only custom trigger I own. But it is flat out awesome.
If you want help let me know. I could at least let you see the trigger tech and give you some info.
My broth in laws son in law has 7 of these trigger techs. They really are “bad” triggers. Makes all your others seem like junk. LOL

·
Registered
751 Posts
Best solution is a new trigger. Timney or Trigger Tech and cleaning the bolt assembly would be my move… in fact I have a 700 I need to complete this on now. Just in no hurry.

·
Quack
5,379 Posts
Best solution is a new trigger. Timney or Trigger Tech and cleaning the bolt assembly would be my move… in fact I have a 700 I need to complete this on now. Just in no hurry.
Youve got too much on your plate.
Id be more than happy to buy it off you.

·
Registered
345 Posts
I know a few years ago there was a lot of talk about the trigger mechanism and safety mechanism on some of the Remington 700 rifles. Mine has always worked flawlessly, and I never really paid any mind to the whole situation.

Until today.

I went to test fire couple shells to make sure my scope’s zero was still on, and what happened next was not good.

Got my target in my scope. Shouldered my weapon. I flipped the safety off and squeezed the trigger. I heard a soft, but audible click. The rifle did not fire. Took my thumb up to the safety to check if I got it all the way pushed up. As soon as I did this, the gun fired. I did not have my finger near the trigger at all.

This obviously scared the jeepers out of me.

I decided to see if I could replicate the situation again, and the second shell did the exact same thing.

Where do I go from here? Obviously I won’t be firing this gun again until something is done to it.

You can run your serial number on the Remington website to see if it is involved in the recall.
I put timney triggers in them. Easy to do.

·
Registered
751 Posts

You can run your serial number on the Remington website to see if it is involved in the recall.
Just go with a new trigger. Recall or not Remington has been sued for faulty Trigger/Safety mechanisms many times before the recall. In 2002 they settled a wrongful death lawsuit over a trigger and there are other suits going back into the 70's and 80's.

·
Registered
157 Posts
So I can confirm that BustinBucks has a doe down with the backup rifle! I heard the shot.....This is the same rifle used by some other guy (who will remain nameless) that had to shoot a deer upwards of 8 times with that gun to kill a buck a few years back.
8 shots hit the deer before it died?
That might be some kind of Missouri state record. Never heard of more than 3 shots. 2 is the maximum number of shots I have put into a deer.

·
Team Trapper and the STFUs
17,212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
8 shots hit the deer before it died?
That might be some kind of Missouri state record. Never heard of more than 3 shots. 2 is the maximum number of shots I have put into a deer.
It got real western for dad that day…

·
17,212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
I’d say so, isn’t that 270 a 4+1??? Was he dropping in singles after 5 or just reloading the whole Mag???
Back up rifle is an M77 .25-06

I’m not sure he had any bullets left in his pocket when it was all said and done.

·
17,212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Font Number Screenshot Document Parallel
Font Number Screenshot Document Parallel

My serial number didn’t fall within the range.

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
If you have the Walker trigger, it won't show up as a recall, they were replaced as part of the class action lawsuit, that recall was for the X Mark Pro triggers. If the trigger shoe is serrated you have a Walker trigger, smooth and it's an X Mark.
I replaced 3 walker triggers with the X Mark Pro under the class action suit, I wasn't about to drop $3-500 on triggers.
A friend of mine had the exact same thing happen twice this deer season, pulled the trigger, nothing, touched the bolt and it fired. Pretty sure his was a combination of a gunked up trigger, cold weather, and the snaked up firing pin spring on the stupid J-lock bold shroud that drags inside the bolt. A new trigger and firing pin assembly are on the way for that.

21 - 37 of 37 Posts