Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Team Trapper and the STFUs
17,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know a few years ago there was a lot of talk about the trigger mechanism and safety mechanism on some of the Remington 700 rifles. Mine has always worked flawlessly, and I never really paid any mind to the whole situation.

Until today.

I went to test fire couple shells to make sure my scope’s zero was still on, and what happened next was not good.

Got my target in my scope. Shouldered my weapon. I flipped the safety off and squeezed the trigger. I heard a soft, but audible click. The rifle did not fire. Took my thumb up to the safety to check if I got it all the way pushed up. As soon as I did this, the gun fired. I did not have my finger near the trigger at all.

This obviously scared the jeepers out of me.

I decided to see if I could replicate the situation again, and the second shell did the exact same thing.

Where do I go from here? Obviously I won’t be firing this gun again until something is done to it.

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
Has it been adjusted before? Sounds like to me it’s a little out of adjustment. You can go through steps on adjusting it which the steps are easily found on the net. Just need to know if it’s an older walker style or xmark. When your done take some thread locker and put on the threads. If your not comfortable with it you can take it to a gunsmith.

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
Never had a problem with mine, but sent it in for the free repair when Rem had the recall a few years ago. Had it back within a week.

·
Registered
69,942 Posts
I'm a Rem 700 fan. Sounds to me your firing pin is all gummed up with stiff (cold) grease and grit and it attempted to fire (the click you heard) and a few seconds later completed the firing sequence.....Boom!

Have you ever completely cleaned the bolt and firing pin? Take out the bolt and give it a good soaking with a spray gun cleaner....and NOT WD40. Blow out the excess cleaner...wipe it down and drive fire it a few times and listen for a sharp click. Dirt and grit is not your friend. Hope this fixes the problem.

·
Registered
2,369 Posts
Most likely the trigger adjustment threadlocker has come loose and the t
Adjustments have been moving. Usually when this situation occurs the sear isnt completely released thus the light click but the firing pin does not fall, when you move the bolt or safety it WILL then fall and the gun fires. To figure this out the trigger mechanism needs cleaned and adjusted and tested .

·
Under appreciated
90,308 Posts
That sucks. Hoping you have a backup

·
Máistir an pointe hocht.
71,447 Posts
I put a timney in my son’s 700. Never looked back. Figured rem f’d it up first time wasn't giving them a second chance. You described exactly the situation with them. Good luck, keep muzzle pointed in safe direction.

·
Registered
8,833 Posts
Thanks for the suggestions. I’ll have someone more well versed than I give it a good look over.
Idk how close you are to Princeton but if for some reason you don’t have a backup rifle you can use my .35 whelen for the weekend until yours is fixed.Anyway hope you get your rifle fixed

·
Team Trapper and the STFUs
17,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Idk how close you are to Princeton but if for some reason you don’t have a backup rifle you can use my .35 whelen for the weekend until yours is fixed.Anyway hope you get your rifle fixed
Appreciate it buddy. We’ve got backups in the safe, but I just love that sweet shootin .270 BDL.

Gonna tote a 25-06 I think.

·
Quack
5,378 Posts
Your better off just getting rid of it. Interested in selling?

Reactions: jehrbo and WBF

·
Registered
668 Posts
So I can confirm that BustinBucks has a doe down with the backup rifle! I heard the shot.....This is the same rifle used by some other guy (who will remain nameless) that had to shoot a deer upwards of 8 times with that gun to kill a buck a few years back.

·
Registered
19,400 Posts
So I can confirm that BustinBucks has a doe down with the backup rifle! I heard the shot.....This is the same rifle used by some other guy (who will remain nameless) that had to shoot a deer upwards of 8 times with that gun to kill a buck a few years back.
Huh.... You fellas share ground with Valley Oaks? 😎

1 - 20 of 37 Posts