Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

· Máistir an pointe hocht.
75,067 Posts
I'll just keep my 38/55 Winchester 1894.... Not sure what the point of another straightwall cartridge like that is, when you can already get .375 and 38/55....

But hey, if you want one, have at it. :D

Reactions: fishshooter

3,083 Posts
I’ve already gotta pair of 444’s myself. I’m guessing states like Ohio and Indiana , that used to be shotgun only, are fueling the new interest in new straight wall rounds . But I’m afraid that newer calibers might eventually make my 444 ammo harder to find. I wish Henry would have come out with a 444 instead 😂 🤷‍♂️

75,067 Posts
I would embrace MO allowing open sighted straight wall cartridge rifles over alllowing Machine Pistols in the ML season... I'll say that much. A lot of states have Straight Wall rules now, although I think those are just as absurd as only allowing slugs and ML's like IL does.... But, then again... I'm not a communist.

· Registered
1,112 Posts
Missouri is already ML or archery only in the vast majority of public grounds. Most guys on public ground don’t like it. It’s a matter of time before private grounds follow suit. Get ready to raise hell, or prepare for the communist bs

· Registered
32,993 Posts
Missouri is already ML or archery only in the vast majority of public grounds. Most guys on public ground don’t like it. It’s a matter of time before private grounds follow suit. Get ready to raise hell, or prepare for the communist bs
That's not accurate at all.

Reactions: MOGC

· Registered
1,112 Posts
That's not accurate at all.
based on my limited experience. I have hunted public ground in central, west central, and southeast Missouri and they all had signs “ muzzle loader and archery only for whitetail deer”. I’m pretty sure you can still use a high power rifle on coyotes outside of deer season out there.

Ten locations within reasonable drive of my home, all archery/muzzy or archery only.

I assume there is still public ground where you can hunt deer with a high power rifle, but haven’t seen it.

· Former Leader in Warning points!
10,987 Posts
I would embrace MO allowing open sighted straight wall cartridge rifles over alllowing Machine Pistols in the ML season... I'll say that much. A lot of states have Straight Wall rules now, although I think those are just as absurd as only allowing slugs and ML's like IL does.... But, then again... I'm not a communist.
IL has even passed regulations now allowing straight wall handgun cartridges in single shot rifle for hunting but, in true IL style have a list of approved cartridges that don’t make sense. 45-70 and 44mag are allowed but 30-30 is not. 🤷‍♂️

· Don't mind me
10,379 Posts
I assume there is still public ground where you can hunt deer with a high power rifle, but haven’t seen it.
Mark twain national forest alone has 1.5 MILLION acres in MO that you can rifle hunt. Add in 16k acres of Irish wilderness, thousands of acres of corps ground(over 100,000 acres at truman and mark Twain alone), and lots of large conservation areas open to high powered rifles and there’s no shortage of places to go wound deer with your 30/30’s.

75,067 Posts
IL has even passed regulations now allowing straight wall handgun cartridges in single shot rifle for hunting but, in true IL style have a list of approved cartridges that don’t make sense. 45-70 and 44mag are allowed but 30-30 is not. 🤷‍♂️
That's just ridiculous..... 45-70 is a hand gun cartridge? What about 38/55 or .375 Win?

· Super Moderator
28,538 Posts
I’ve already gotta pair of 444’s myself. I’m guessing states like Ohio and Indiana , that used to be shotgun only, are fueling the new interest in new straight wall rounds . But I’m afraid that newer calibers might eventually make my 444 ammo harder to find. I wish Henry would have come out with a 444 instead 😂 🤷‍♂️
IL is allowing them this coming season

· Registered
32,087 Posts
Is it because the 30/30 isn't straight walled?

10,987 Posts

10,987 Posts

10,987 Posts
Also, any rifle is considered a “single shot” as long as it is modified to disable any repeat fire methods, so an AR with a wooden block in the magazine slot would be fine if it was legal to own…🤷‍♂️

75,067 Posts
1 - 20 of 51 Posts