Reloading setup suggestions

Discussion in 'Reloading Tips & Tricks' started by 1FastCam, Nov 13, 2010.

1. 1FastCam

1FastCam New Member

Nov 25, 2002
    CT
    I have ALOT of people up here that shoot alot and only shoot store bought ammo. From what I understand nobody up here reloads. So I might want to get started doing it.

I used to reload alot with my dad, and have been thinking I would like to get into it anyway.

So, what is a good single stage press kit to get? I dont want a progressive press. I'd rather do it one at a time.

It will be used for rifle ammo only.

Will pretty much need a "kit" (I guess you could say) that has the press, scale, case trimmer, etc. etc. Pretty much the whole shootin match.

Any suggestions?

2. Big John

Big John New Member

Oct 24, 2003
    I use 2 presses, an RCBS Rockchucker single and a Lee pro 1000 turret press, I use the turret to decap and size brass only, and I use the Rockchucker to place bullets. I am old school meaning I use beam scales, hand primers, hand powder measure, hand trimmers etc etc. I wouldn't do a "kit" Check out Midway USA for various things......I would suggest a couple manuals Hornady and Sierra their newest ones.

3. sharps4590

sharps4590 Well-Known Member

Jan 7, 2010
    Northern Ozarks
    You won't beat RCBS although Lyman is good too....come to think of it so is Pacific and the old Belding and Mull stuff..if you can find any. I don't care much for Lee products, except for their round ball molds. My opinion is to stick with an O press such as the Rock Chucker or RCBS Reloader 5. Lymjan makes one too but I don't recall the name. I don't know of any one kit that has everything in it but they're a good place to start. Over the years I've picked up a lot of my stuff, used and for a lot less, at gun shows. Might check around on line too. I bought my RCBS Lubrisizer for $30.00 at a gun show back when they were around $100.00.

4. Big_Bullseye

Big_Bullseye Honey Badger Phat Sack

Nov 2, 2004
    Franklin County
  5. 76_michael

76_michael Active Member

Jul 24, 2008
    Lincoln Co.
    RCBS has a good kit that is what I use also another good kit is the Horady kit . They are priced pretty reasonablty

6. htredneck

htredneck Active Member

Dec 9, 2008
    Cass County, MO
    Any good 'O' type press mounted to a very stiff/stable surface will let you load about anything you want.
    Midway is the cheapest place around to buy new. Use them for price comparisons. Craigslist is a good place to watch, garage sales are about the only place to get really good deals anymore. Gun shows used to be good but not so much anymore. Fools buying stuff on eBay will pay more than brand new for well-used stuff.

7. Ellis Prairie

Ellis Prairie New Member

Dec 2, 2009
    Midsouth Shooters Supply's price on the RCBS Rockchucker Supreme Master kit beats Midway USA's price by $33.00 ($289.99 vs $322.99)

8. htredneck

htredneck Active Member

Dec 9, 2008
    Cass County, MO
    Looks like I am going to have to expand my shopping areas!
    I stand corrected - Midway USED to be the cheapest...

9. Ellis Prairie

Ellis Prairie New Member

Dec 2, 2009
    Also no sells tax on orders from Midsouth.

10. ecellitti

ecellitti New Member

Dec 12, 2010
    I have a Lee single stage press. It has worked great over the years and plus Lee's customer service is awsome.