Reloading Die Question

Discussion in 'Reloading Tips & Tricks' started by Heeler75, May 23, 2009.

1. Heeler75

Heeler75 Confirmed Bachelor

Feb 10, 2008
    Over Yonder Way
    Say a guy buys a set of RCBS dies. Do they have to be used in a RCBS loader? Or are they "universal" with other makes?

2. htredneck

htredneck Well-Known Member

Dec 9, 2008
    Cass County, MO
    Nope - most all loaders made use the same size dies.
    Lee, RCBS, Lyman, Dillon, Hornady - all take the same size...

3. Heeler75

Feb 10, 2008
    Over Yonder Way
    Sweet....Thanks for the info. Are Lee dies pretty decent? Long story short, bought a scope from a guy today, got to visiting, he had some dies/bullets for 338-06 also. Told him I had a 338-06 Encore barrel on order. Said he'd sell me the bullets (Nosler and Hornady Interlock) along with the dies. So, bought the dies and bullets also.

4. yankee

yankee Senior Member

i believe all dies are 7/8 16 thread, no experience with lee dies, but id bet they will do ok for ya, are they carbide dies???

5. htredneck

htredneck Well-Known Member

Dec 9, 2008
    Cass County, MO
    If you are buying regular steel dies, you are starting a Ford-Chevy arguement. Lee is usually the best value and most plentiful. You can't go wrong with RCBS Carbide dies. If you really want to go all out, the cadillac of dies is Dillon. They are hands down the best in my opinion, but you are going to pay for them!

6. Heeler75

Feb 10, 2008
    Over Yonder Way
    Don't know if they are carbide or steel. It is the Lee Pacesetter 2 piece die set (full length sizing). Cost is about $30 and got it for $15. Figured why not since 338-06 ammo ain't too readily available. Since these dies are special run it won't come with factory crimper.

7. glennasher1

glennasher1 Well-Known Member

Sep 16, 2004
    Radcliff, KY
    7/8 x 14, not to get too picky about it, though;););)

Lee dies are either great, or they suck mightily. I have a set of Lee .221 dies that are outofthisworld better than another set of RCBS dies in the same caliber, same with 9mm dies, the Lee's are much better. Most of my pistol dies are Lee's, but for inexpensive rifle dies I try to find Hornady, as I like the seating system better than all the rest.

I spit on Lyman products every chance I get:mad2::mad2: had lots of trouble out of Lyman junk. Older RCBS rifle dies, like my .221s, are, in my opinion, outa whack on their dimensions, and I won't use them at all but the newer ones are 'lots more better'.
    If I could afford them, I'd buy Reddings, but I can't, most of the time.