Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
21,190 Posts
I use a tru fire and love it!!!! I have had a few others that I do not remember the names of and did not like them at all! I would tell you what the names of those were but I mailed them to another member a couple of years ago. Really it boils down to what fits you best and what feels comfortable. For me that is the TRU FIRE!

·
Mountain lion hunter
28,312 Posts
Scott lil goose
Carter Hammer
Carter Just-B-Cuz
Tru-ball bt gold ultra
Scott longhorn

What are ya doing with it? Hunting ? Targets?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks I just didn't want to go through ten junk ones to find a good one. Plus I'm not going to spend 150.00 on any release lmao

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
[rquote=1497686&tid=104530&author=Refuze2falo]Scott lil goose
Carter Hammer
Carter Just-B-Cuz
Tru-ball bt gold ultra
Scott longhorn

What are ya doing with it? Hunting ? Targets?[/rquote]

I will be 3d targeting with it most of next year, but come fall I will be hunting.

I haven't been in to bow hunting for about ten years and just resently picked it back up.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
[rquote=1497710&tid=104530&author=Refuze2falo]Are you wanting a thumb release or a caliper?[/rquote]

I haven't figured that out yet. I have shot the caliper style but not a thumbs release yet.

Any pros to the thumb release?

·
Mountain lion hunter
28,312 Posts
Well it's a personal choice. I'd say most hunters use a caliper. I use the Scott little goose and it's served me well. As Crystal said tru-fire make a good release too

The Scott is about $60 new and it seems most shops stock them and tru fire also

If ya got a shop close to ya I am sure they would let ya try a couple on and get a feel for what fit best.

Many folks talk good about B&B archery up around KC

·
Registered
3,082 Posts
I'm using a Scott Sabertooth dual-caliper release and love it. This is probably my 4th or 5th season w/ it and it's still going strong. :cheers:

·
Registered
6,340 Posts
[rquote=1497823&tid=104530&author=Mailman]I switched from a wrist strap with index finger release to a T.R.U. Ball Pro Diamond Xtreme model awhile back. Really like it once I got used to shooting it. Here is my post from when I first got it.

http://www.missouriwhitetails.com/forums/viewthread.php?tid=60276#pid822435[/rquote]

X2

I have had them all and I really like the thumb release's. Watch on archeytalk.com, you can pick used ones up there for a good price. I am thinking my next one will be a tru-ball chappy boss

·
Registered
31,310 Posts
i use a cheapy cobra wrist strap with finger trigger. its served me well for close to 10 years now..so unless it breaks, i dont plan on changin anything

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I will try the thumb release, but i like the idea of a wrist strap caliper style. Thanks for the input everybody.

·
Registered
903 Posts
I shoot a Carter Chocolate Addiction thumb trigger. I like it because I can clip it on my D-loop and leave it hanging. I like not having a caliper release hanging off my wrist, catching on everything, and clanging stuff. My worry is that I'll accidentally hit the button and it'll fall to the ground, though. I usually carry a backup Scott Mongoose wrist strap just in case but I've had it loaned out the last couple of years.

·
Registered
69,790 Posts
[rquote=1497885&tid=104530&author=Jeremy]i use a cheapy cobra wrist strap with finger trigger. its served me well for close to 10 years now..so unless it breaks, i dont plan on changin anything[/rquote]

Not a thing wrong with those Jeremy. That was my first release I bought and used it for many years. I let it go with my old bow when I sold it.

·
Banned
11,330 Posts
Scott Little Goose is my favorite. Although I have developed target panic bad so I may have to switch to back tension.

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
[rquote=1497961&tid=104530&author=Mailman][rquote=1497885&tid=104530&author=Jeremy]i use a cheapy cobra wrist strap with finger trigger. its served me well for close to 10 years now..so unless it breaks, i dont plan on changin anything[/rquote]

Not a thing wrong with those Jeremy. That was my first release I bought and used it for many years. I let it go with my old bow when I sold it.[/rquote]
I've used Tru fire & Cobra,Both have worked well for me. Right now I am using a Tru-fire, never used a Scott but I intend to try one.

·
Registered
903 Posts
[rquote=1498060&tid=104530&author=Jeremy]stupid question...whats a back tension release?[/rquote]

Basically, it's a release designed to be shot with "back tension". It is designed without a trigger. The release fires because it "rotates" as you pull through with your back muscles. The idea is that by not knowing EXACTLY when the release will fire, you avoid any nasty flinching that you would have when you anticipate pulling or pushing a trigger with your thumb or finger. You focus solely on aiming and pulling through the shot. In reality, just about any release can be shot with back tension, but there are some designed to be shot exclusively that way.

I shoot my Carter thumb trigger that way for 3-D/Spots and it makes a BIG difference. It takes a while to get used to, but when you get it, it's really cool. Now, when hunting with that release, I just punch it. :D

[Edited on 12-4-2009 by droptine]

[Edited on 12-4-2009 by droptine]

1 - 20 of 36 Posts