Related to turkey nesting and other Gallinaceous birds

Discussion in 'Turkey Hunting General' started by watermen, May 14, 2018 at 9:58 PM.

1. watermen

watermen Active Member

Dec 22, 2011
    Rolla
    henry, killmode, rat and 1 other person like this.
  2. birdman

birdman Active Member

Jul 31, 2014
    Thanks for posting. This is exactly what I've been advocating for a number of years, including since I started posting on MWT. Despite what some claim, there is plenty of science to support this approach.

henry and watermen like this.

3. hazelvillebucks

hazelvillebucks Well-Known Member

Oct 28, 2014
    all Timbers recommends doing a predator survey or index on
    [​IMG]

Place 1 fatty acid tablet (FAS) in the center of each station. Researchers have shown that FAS tablets elicit a good response from coyotes, gray foxes and raccoons. We have good visitation rates from armadillos, bobcats and other mammals as well. Be careful handling the FAS tablets (please read the label!). -Courtesy of Tall Timbers Research Station

your lands. You can find more about how to do this on their website (http://talltimbers.org/measuring-the-predator-context-on-your-land-to-manage-predation-of-bobwhites/), but in a nutshell, they use a mineral oil and sand mix and place sand rings along roads, trails throughout their properties. They alternate sides of woods roads and trails about 500 yards apart. When the index reaches 20% or greater (meaning 1 out of 5 sand rings has fresh predator tracks in them) they recommend intense predator trapping.
    With the historic data collected by mdc IN THE ANNUAL BAIT STATION SURVEY the quantification of the variables can be explored in even grater detail. mdc has the data bases that would allow one to know the reproductive potential of the wild turkey by only knowing the predator density.
    VERY GOOD INFO.

4. Hawk

Hawk Well-Known Member Sponsor

Oct 15, 2009
    Trapping thru february in a more southern area.... hmmmm.... it *MAY* create a window... hmmmm

Cant do that in MO.

And again. Theres been no study where people trapped on small acreage, stopped on jan 31, and had a significant increase in populations. NONE.

What has been shown, and I have personally seen and done is SIGNIFICANTLY, from virtually none to THRIVING quail populations thru improving habitat in North MO. We havent trapped or shot a SINGLE nest predator in years and we have 6-7 LARGE coveys on 160 acres along with several pheasants and a great turkey population. If predators were the issue we wouldnt have had the success we have.

5. EZRA

EZRA Well-Known Member

Jul 8, 2016
    Hawk u are wrong, way wrong

BC-Buck likes this.
  6. Hawk

Oct 15, 2009
    Prove your statement.

7. Steelman

Steelman Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2009
    Hmmm...I wonder how many more coveys your place would have if you trapped????

Have you ever done something "yourself" over a period of time, saw an improvement, and came to the conclusion that it helped with what you are trying to accomplish?

As Ezra said, you're wrong....again. The article proves this statement or if you won't accept that (which I'm sure of) it at least proves that all biologists don't agree with you.

20' and Maddog3355 like this.
  8. rat

rat Legbone

Dec 13, 2005
  9. Hawk

Oct 15, 2009
    This guy is fringe. An outlier. Notice he has no ACTUAL proof.

The article also doesnt name the author so we dont know his credentials.

10. bajabill

bajabill BDR529

Feb 16, 2012
    East Central MO
    one old retired janitor from NASA is now an expert in biological studies....because he worked at NASA.

Im joking of course, just be careful in betting on absolutes in the animal kingdom.

Hawk likes this.
  11. rat

rat Legbone

Dec 13, 2005
    If this guy is some fringe hack I'm very surprised that the U of T would host is AND that it would get sponsorship from National Bobwhite Conservation Initiative.
    He is advocating a LOT of habitat work as well as predator control.

12. Hawk

Oct 15, 2009
    Funny thing is, thats the only place i can find predstor control mentioned.

I see that there are some interesting names on the board... maybe Ill contact them and see what they say....

Im thinking this trapping may be an "isolated habitat" issue.

13. rat

rat Legbone

Dec 13, 2005
    I think its some combination of both, and probably heavier on the habitat mgt but definatly a predator component doesnt hurt.

14. callaojoe

callaojoe Máistir an pointe hocht.

Jan 21, 2004
    N/C Missouri
    Here is how it works....

Hawk finds a study that agrees with something he agrees with.....

From that point forward, this is the only "study" that holds any merit. Any study, or person that disagrees with his thought is incorrect, because it doesn't agree with a study he found. The fact that there are additional "studies" that don't agree with what he's saying is irrelevant, as the only studies that matter, or the ones that agree with his position....

Brilliant, eh? :D

I am just happy waterman brought us another gift that will keep on giving. We needed another turkey discussion like this.... :D

Carry on! :btt:

killmode, 20', henry and 1 other person like this.
  15. Hawk

Oct 15, 2009
    Go ahead and find that study.... ni one has and ive been asking for a few years.

16. Hawk

Oct 15, 2009
    Ill ask a few questions and report back

17. Vikestand

Vikestand Over There

Says the guy who never cites any of his material.

18. callaojoe

callaojoe Máistir an pointe hocht.

Jan 21, 2004
    N/C Missouri
    Christmas comes in May to MWT. :tup:

Hawk and Vikestand like this.
  19. Hawk

Oct 15, 2009
    Im sorry, I guess I wasnt under the impression that your whiny arse needed a properly cited research paper on a hunting forum. Again, got off your butt and do some research of your own if you think what Im posting is wrong. Otherwise your just another whiny millennial thats never satisfied.

20. hazelvillebucks

hazelvillebucks Well-Known Member

Oct 28, 2014
    THE POINT IS THAT ALL OF US WITH OUR VARIED LIFE EXPERIENCES , SKILL SETS ARE PART OF SOLUTIONS. The story of the biologist is the story of him being able to see beyond the BINDERS OF HIS PRECONCEIVED BIAS.