Regulation question

Discussion in 'Turkey Hunting General' started by Bowpredator, Mar 29, 2006.

1. Bowpredator

Bowpredator New Member

Jul 24, 2003
    Licking Missouri
    I know that checking in here is quicker and easier than going to the MDC page and searching so here it goes. Since I'm gonna be hunting public ground mostly this season, I might find myself quite a ways out at 1:00 pm so do you need to have your gun unloaded after 1:00 pm so you are not considered to be "hunting" after the deadline or is it ok to be scouting/shroom hunting with a loaded shotgun on your back after 1:00 pm? In addition to that, if I am on my way back to the truck after 1:00 pm with my loaded shotgun and occasionally hit a locator call to keep from walking up on a tom and spooking him, is that considered to be hunting?

2. 67Firebird

67Firebird Chicken Man

If something else is in season, I don't see why you'd have to unload. I have no idea if anything else will be in season at that time though.

As for blowing a call (of any type), I'd consider that hunting.

These are my opinions, not facts.

3. Original Al

Original Al New Member

just tell the warden you are hunting feral hogs

or since you arent going to be doing shooting after 1 anyway you might as well just unload you gun. No real reason to be carrying a loaded gun around if you aren't gonna use it.

I don't think calling would be considered hunting. I've heard of people using locator calls before the season to help them in scouting

I don't know the official rules though, like GoGop said, these are opinions not facts

4. membergone

membergone New Member

Jan 17, 2004
    It is not illegal to carry a loaded gun in the woods at any time to my knowledge. (Yes, DSG knows about the restrictions during deer season etc.) I don't believe you have to have a reason. (Do you load your gun when leaving the truck, house or camp before daylight and carry it into the woods? Same difference.)

You can scout for birds any time you choose I believe. The gun shouldn't have anything to do with it. Unless you are "attempting to take" out of season/before/after shooting hours.

But DSG ain't a skunk sherrif. :) That second scenario might be cause for a good :ass: eatin' but no way they could issue you a ticket unless you were "attempting to take."

Oh, to answer BOA's question. DSG ALWAYS carries his shells in his gun. Keeps from loosing them thata way. Plus, ya never know when ya might get attacked by a bear or mountain lion. :D

5. huntforfunnfood

huntforfunnfood New Member

Jun 30, 2003
    new bloomfield mo
    bowpreadtor

i would encourage you to think about this from the agents point of veiw
    i cant find any thing in the regs saying you can't carry a loaded gun and can't blow calls when ever
    but think about it this way if i was an agent and find some one walking in the woods blowing turkey calls or owl calls or what ever has a loaded shotgun maybe even carrying a few decoys

if i don't know you your going to have a hard time convincing me that your not hunting birds. it would be your word against his and right or wrong i would be willing to bet he will win. I think your pushing your luck to be honest. I don't see any reason to be carrying a loaded gun at least not one in the chamber any way

as for blowing calls turkeys don't always respond to locator calls and there is still a chance you could walk up on a bird and spook it. then the bird will associate humans with the locater call you just educated the bird.

if you just walk up on a bird and spook it once thats not that big of a deal you would still have a good chance of using your locator call the next morning and finding him in close to the same spot

6. membergone

membergone New Member

Jan 17, 2004
    So you don't load your gun in the morning until you get to your "spot?" And you wait till after shooting time opens to do so? Like I said while a go, same difference.

HFFF, that dog don't hunt! ;)

And to answer your question. DSG "carries" his shells in his gun. He hasn't bought one of those stupid :ass: "vests" and doesn't have a pocket that he wants them rattling around in. What in the HAIL is wrong with carrying a loaded gun in the woods? Nothing.

7. Poor Valley

Poor Valley Active Member

Mar 14, 2003
    Rolla, Mo
    Seems to me that only a fool or dummy would knowingly push the limits of the regs. If an agent shucks a turkey load out of your shotgun under these circumstances you'r gonna get a citation.:horse:

8. membergone

membergone New Member

Jan 17, 2004
    And this "fool" or "dummy" would beat it every time if it came to that CP. There isn't an agent in their right mind that would write a citation for simply walking through the turkey woods with a loaded weapon after shooting hours, blowing a locator call or not. :)

9. BIG OL AL

BIG OL AL New Member

Oct 1, 2003
    High Ridge MO
    Bowpredator, What are you thinking. You will be back at the truck before 1:00 carrying a huge Tom. You won't have to worry about it! :dancin:
    Personaly I always unload my gun at 1:00. I mean what's the difference if it's loaded or not. I'm not gonna shoot anything with a turkey load except a turkey and I'm not shooting one after 1:00. After I start hunting shrooms I may not get back untill 3:00 or so. No need to have it loaded if it doesn't need to be. If I was hunting public ground I would make sure the gun was empty just in case you would run into a conservation officer. No need to have your hunt ruined because you have shells in your gun. I would imagine it would depend on the CO if he considered it hunting or not.

10. membergone

membergone New Member

Jan 17, 2004
    BO AL, again, DSG axes the question. When do you load your gun in the morning? Do you wait till after shooting time? :confused:

11. BIG OL AL

BIG OL AL New Member

Oct 1, 2003
    High Ridge MO
    I load my gun after I get to my spot. Why load it in the dark before you get where you are going? You can't shoot a turkey in the dark! And this is just something I feel comfortable with. I have had an accident with a gun fireing when I didn't want it to and know one other person that had the same thing happen. So it is really a safety issue for me.
    I also do this while deer hunting before and after hours.
    I have no idea what the state's rules are on this. These are more less rules I go by.

12. Mark Twain

Mark Twain New Member

Jul 15, 2003
    St. Charles
    It can't hurt to unload at 1pm. You never know when you're gonna get an agent who had a bad cup of coffee that morning.

On the other hand, keeping it loaded can be a good thing. Back when I was at Mizzou, I hunted the MT Forest south of town each spring. Was hunting one morning with a buddy who forgot to put the plug back in his shotgun after pheasant hunting in Nebraska.

Sure enough, we were met by an agent at the parking area on our way out. He asked to see our permits and to check our guns. I thought for sure my buddy was sunk, but when he unloaded and only three shells came out, the agent gave him a pass. :cool:

Neither of us have made that mistake again. :bangin:

13. Hatch

Hatch New Member

Jul 17, 2005
    OFallon MO
    I ALWAYS unload.

14. Poor Valley

Mar 14, 2003
    Rolla, Mo
    No other game is legal in Mo during turkey season.

15. membergone

membergone New Member

Jan 17, 2004
    CP. Some folks won't get it no matter what is said. :) They will however call those who disagree with them "fools" and "dummies." :)

(1) DSG carries his shells in his gun when out of the truck. Always. DSG is no less safe than the next person.

(2) Guns don't fire themselves. If someone has an accidental discharge they were being careless, period. (With the one in 10 million case of a defective weapon being the exception.)

(3) There is NO Missouri law that says you can't carry a loaded weapon openly when no hunting season is open.

(4) Bowpredator, This topic should be proof that you should NEVER ax for advice on an internet message board. :D

16. FiremanBrad

FiremanBrad New Member

Did DSG catch any fish today???

17. membergone

membergone New Member

Jan 17, 2004
    fireman...not many. IT was tough!

OK Peoples. I know this guy that shoots a Muzzle loader during turkey season. So he is an unsafe and illegal hunter for carrying it in and out of the woods LOADED before and after shooting hours?

ANd THEN, what about Muzzleloader hunters during deer season.

This should be interesting. :wink: But my bet is no one will answer the question without :dancin:

18. Poor Valley

Mar 14, 2003
    Rolla, Mo
    An the agent says well judge these these boyz are charged with hunting or attempting to hunt turkeys out out of season cause I caught them in the woods after shooting hours and they were in full camo with shotguns full of turkey loads walking around and occasionally blowing on a turkey locator call.....

The judge asks--did either have in his posession a Poor Valley turkey call? To which the agent answers-- Yes sir the short one, it was in a pouch on his belt with the striker fully exposed. Judge exclaims There's no doubt about it!! Guilty!!!!:wave::wave::wave::wave::wave::wave:

19. Bowpredator

Bowpredator New Member

Jul 24, 2003
    Licking Missouri
    I'm with ya DSG. My gun is loaded on the way in and out of the woods normally. Just because I'm not hunting, doesnt mean it might not come in handy. Case in point, I was walking down a forest road a few weeks ago in the area I plan to hunt and a large dog surprised me. he wasnt too happy i was there and let me know it. No people were with him so i dont know if he was a wild dog or what but my hand was on my pistol and the thumblatch was flipped off. He made the right choice and went off another direction.

20. JMAC

JMAC Senior Member

Aug 31, 2005
    Cole County
    Whatever, BP, you were deer hunting and we all know it! :D:smiley: