Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4,615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Season number 6 and still not a deer. Been hunting pretty hard this year had opportunities at some small bucks with gun but let them go. Hunted 8 days of a managed hunt at Rockwood Range, no luck.

I am heading to Reform in the morning. Anybody been there recently? I have not been yet this season. Was wondering if crops were out? I would assume they are. Would it be a good strategy with the cold weather to set up a blind at a cut field or if I should stay in the woods down in the bottoms?

Any reports or advise would be greatly appreciated.

Also I am assuming that there is no huge rush. I figured with the extreme cold the deer would probably not bemoving until the sun is up for a while. I figured that since I have not been there yet this year If it might be a good idea to walk in right at 6:15ish with a bit of light???

Thanks,
MJO

[Edited on 12/5/2009 by MJO21]

·
Registered
353 Posts
Been out there the last couple of days with my brother. He saw 2 this morning around 730, then around 930ish saw 2 bedded 15 yds from the road. All the crops are out, except for what they are required to leave.

I was out there tonight, didn't see anything. Thought it was going to be good, with all the rabbit hunters out, but nothing.

·
Registered
587 Posts
I am a little late, but as far as crops go, some corn is still standing.

Other than that, everything else is out.

Lot's of does left running around as well as smaller bucks, but the big boy sightings have diminished.

·
Registered
4,615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just got home...How cold is too cold?
It was 10* when I got out of my truck at 6:30am. It was 13* when I got back in at 9:00am. At one point I could hear the frost popping on my fleece hood from my body heat!

I only saw 4 turkey. I did go for a nice to warm up. scanned the harvested bean fields at the far south. Lots of beans on the ground but no deer?

Is it too cold? and with the big bright moon they were moving at night?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts