Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
321 - 340 of 340 Posts

·
Máistir an pointe hocht.
73,037 Posts
I have seen seen look up into empty stands before checking them out to see if I was in them.....what do you call that? They certainly somehow retained that in their memory banks.....not sure if that deer thought I was a hunter or danger or just trying to see what brand of hang on it was in the tree. Again, not syaing they smart, but definitely smarter than Joe & Hunter Biden!
If you are not in the stand, how do you know they are looking up at it? :D Any deer will look up at things that are maybe not meant to be there. Especially if they've seen weird shiiit there before, like you for instance. :D

• Haha
Reactions: antlercrazed

·
Super Moderator
25,588 Posts
I think we over think deer hunting and mature deer are hard to kill because there is less of them but if we hunted a well managed place with an awesome age structure it’s a lot easier to kill a mature buck.I think deer mainly use their nose and sight and if they smell something off then see something move unnaturally to their surroundings then I’m sure they do have memory to remember that spot in the woods I mean they navigate the woods so they obviously know where they are.But big mature bucks get killed everyday so obviously they don’t have enough sense to not return to a place just because they had a bad encounter.Hell a few years back I shot an wounded a 150” MS buck and then 2 months later killed him out the same exact stand eating in same exact foodplot.I guess I’m saying they have enough instincts and senses to pick up on stuff but not enough to do something rational like not return to a spot where you got shot through both shoulders with a .300winmag
Pressure is the absolutely key IMO. If you are able to hunt low pressures areas and have enough land tand few hunters that never hunt stands with marginal winds it makes a hinge difference. If most spots are like ones most hunt, the deer are high alert and pattern hunters more than normal. Another big difference is the bow to firearms, deer can and do elude firearms hunters, but many times they just can’t elude those broomsticks for long enough

·
Super Moderator
25,588 Posts
If you are not in the stand, how do you know they are looking up at it? :D Any deer will look up at things that are maybe not meant to be there. Especially if they've seen weird shiiit there before, like you for instance. :D
Good question, and the reason I know is because I thought they may have been onto me and and brought my climber and moved 60 yards, that or I just made it up and you caught me

·
Super Moderator
25,588 Posts
And she looked it over for 10 minutes, head fakes, a few steps for a different angle….it just shows that they have the capability of some sort of memory…..

·
Máistir an pointe hocht.
73,037 Posts
And she looked it over for 10 minutes, head fakes, a few steps for a different angle….it just shows that they have the capability of some sort of memory…..
She? :D

·
Under appreciated
91,825 Posts
You have no idea what she was “thinking” (reacting to) when she looked up.

Talking yourself in to thinking what she was “thinking” is ludicrous… we just don’t know what you don’t know.

And yes, people do walk out in front of vehicles. I counted the number of deer and people along the side of the road dead on the way to the farm.

Deer 7, People 0. Lol

·
Super Moderator
25,588 Posts
You have no idea what she was “thinking” (reacting to) when she looked up.

Talking yourself in to thinking what she was “thinking” is ludicrous… we just don’t know what you don’t know.

And yes, people do walk out in front of vehicles. I counted the number of deer and people along the side of the road dead on the way to the farm.

Deer 7, People 0. Lol
sure, she wasnt checking for something in that stand, okay! you win the internet today, have a blessed day!

·
Under appreciated
91,825 Posts
sure, she wasnt checking for something in that stand, okay! you win the internet today, have a blessed day!
She was inspecting her surroundings just like she always does.

Tell me, if she looks in a tree that doesn’t have a stand, what exactly is she looking for?

If she looks out into a field before she crosses, is she looking for hunters? Predators? A dog groomer? Just what exactly is she thinking when she is looking around?

We have all had deer walk right past us when we are in a stand without looking at all. And sometimes they do. Why don’t they always look up when they see a stand?

Again, its impossible to know what she was looking for if at all. They are always looking around. No way of knowing why other than they are always on the look for danger.

·
Máistir an pointe hocht.
73,037 Posts
Do bucks reason that if they stay mostly nocturnal that they have a better chance of avoiding humans?
No, it’s just what they do. In part, they are wearing their winter coats so moving around at night is more coolerer.

Reactions: 421sd

·
Under appreciated
91,825 Posts
Do bucks reason that if they stay mostly nocturnal that they have a better chance of avoiding humans?
Reason it or have an instinctive tendency?

Cognitive reasoning and instinctive behavior are two different things In my book I guess.

Reactions: 421sd

·
Part-time malcontent
7,944 Posts
Reason it or have an instinctive tendency?

Cognitive reasoning and instinctive behavior are two different things In my book I guess.
Eye Toy Pink Fawn Beak

·
Registered
4,570 Posts
After reading how amazing Mississippi deer hunting is I can't imagine why anyone from out of state comes to Missouri. Next year I'm going to Mississippi. And I'm bringing a bunch of folks with me. Those folks are gonna think the Hmong done moved in.

Reactions: 20'

·
Super Moderator
25,588 Posts
She was inspecting her surroundings just like she always does.

Tell me, if she looks in a tree that doesn’t have a stand, what exactly is she looking for?

If she looks out into a field before she crosses, is she looking for hunters? Predators? A dog groomer? Just what exactly is she thinking when she is looking around?

We have all had deer walk right past us when we are in a stand without looking at all. And sometimes they do. Why don’t they always look up when they see a stand?

Again, its impossible to know what she was looking for if at all. They are always looking around. No way of knowing why other than they are always on the look for danger.
Wrong again, she 100% was looking for someone or something to be in that stand. I doubt she was pondering if I had slept in or even considered I was 69 yards to her north, doubt she even knew I had a bow or gun….but she knew enough from a recent encounter that was clearly fresh in her mind to check that tree over for a long time before preceding. It was actually pretty amazing to witness.

·
Super Moderator
25,588 Posts
After reading how amazing Mississippi deer hunting is I can't imagine why anyone from out of state comes to Missouri. Next year I'm going to Mississippi. And I'm bringing a bunch of folks with me. Those folks are gonna think the Hmong done moved in.
I’m sure there are areas on MS that are strong, but I have never once heard anyone say let’s go travel to MS and hunt public ground! For deer that is

·
Under appreciated
91,825 Posts
Ok, how do you know she was looking for someone in that stand? How did you determine this?

If she thought there was a possibility of a person in that stand, why the heck would she even walk by there in the first place. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
4,570 Posts
I’m sure there are areas on MS that are strong, but I have never once heard anyone say let’s go travel to MS and hunt public ground! For deer that is
Why not? Evidently deer hunting in Mississippi is amazing. And the hunters there are amazing. It's all amazing, so amazing that it gives the word amazing a new definition. I'm all in...

·
Super Moderator
25,588 Posts
Having seen some of the MO orange army it wouldn’t take much for MS to have better, and more informed hunters that care about the resource and grow as hunters at a much faster rate than those the MdC has conditioned to get their buck! Welcome to 2021, guessing MS hunters aren’t stuck 60 years like the MDC and many of or hunters still are!

·
Registered
983 Posts
The good thing about the internet- without it, I would not know or care about management. I’d kill the first legal buck I saw every year and be happy about it. It’s the influence of others on the internet that opened my eyes. I bet I’m not the only one.

321 - 340 of 340 Posts