Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
301 - 320 of 340 Posts

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Whatever it is, you just can’t argue that mature bucks are more weary and more careful, more averse to risk or just lucky as hell to make it that far. Just think about all the orange guys and gunfire at first light on opening day.

·
Registered
9,654 Posts
yeah when you have 40 does and 2 4.5 or older bucks in a patch of woods and fields it will surely be easier to kill a doe just by a numbers standpoint.In MS the deer are so alert and pick up on the slightest predator cue to hit their noses that it’s a challenge to kill any deer with a bow.Hunting Missouri compared to hunting deer in the delta of Mississippi is almost like hunting free range vs pen deer it’s insane the difference.I guess it’s because of so much farm work taking place in the Midwest that the smell of humans isn’t as powerful of a predator sign to them as it is deer down here plus the rut is more intense making all deer act strange for a few weeks

·
Super Moderator
27,712 Posts
sure, righttttt, they dont become more wary as they get older...hmnn. Do mature bucks wander aimlessly about like 1.5 and 2.5, even 3.5 year olds do...all season long??? Those older bucks dont just lay down anywhere, they must reason a bit to know to lay with the wind at their back and scan down wind with their eyes (utilizing two defenses) and then swap sides of the ridge when the wind changes. Bucks absolutely use reason and logic, just not in the same manner as humans.

agian, a 5.5 year doe is likely just are saavy as a 5.5 buck!

·
Super Moderator
27,712 Posts
yeah when you have 40 does and 2 4.5 or older bucks in a patch of woods and fields it will surely be easier to kill a doe just by a numbers standpoint.In MS the deer are so alert and pick up on the slightest predator cue to hit their noses that it’s a challenge to kill any deer with a bow.Hunting Missouri compared to hunting deer in the delta of Mississippi is almost like hunting free range vs pen deer it’s insane the difference.I guess it’s because of so much farm work taking place in the Midwest that the smell of humans isn’t as powerful of a predator sign to them as it is deer down here plus the rut is more intense making all deer act strange for a few weeks
How are the hunter number in MS compared to MO?

·
Registered
9,654 Posts
How are the hunter number in MS compared to MO?
Not a clue never looked up MS numbers except deer and I think MS has like 3 million deer or something crazy but don’t remember but not a whole bunch of hunters where I’m at cause it’s large land owners/farmers in my area.Good many duck hunters tho,they are serious about ducks in the delta.Ducks just don’t do it for me

·
Super Moderator
27,712 Posts
Not a clue never looked up MS numbers except deer and I think MS has like 3 million deer or something crazy but don’t remember but not a whole bunch of hunters where I’m at cause it’s large land owners/farmers in my area.Good many duck hunters tho,they are serious about ducks in the delta.Ducks just don’t do it for me
Interesting, I was always under the impression that MS had about as many hunters as they do deer. I was thinking that may be a reason a reason they tend to be on edge Llike i would assume public land deer are.

How many bucks can you kill in MS each season?

·
Registered
9,654 Posts
Interesting, I was always under the impression that MS had about as many hunters as they do deer. I was thinking that may be a reason a reason they tend to be on edge Llike i would assume public land deer are.

How many bucks can you kill in MS each season?
They have about 1.75-2 million deer and deer harvest is about 280k a year with 300,000 license holders it says in the info I looked up

you can kill 3 bucks and 5 does in the zone I hunt and there is a beam an spread minimum but nobody shoots them that small most people shoot 3.5 or older deer and typical deer is 125” 8pt all the way to 160” class bucks. 130s are common

·
Super Moderator
27,712 Posts
They have about 1.75-2 million deer and deer harvest is about 280k a year with 300,000 license holders it says in the info I looked up

you can kill 3 bucks and 5 does in the zone I hunt and there is a beam an spread minimum but nobody shoots them that small most people shoot 3.5 or older deer and typical deer is 125” 8pt all the way to 160” class bucks. 130s are common
Sounds like you are in a great area!!!! Is your rut about to kick in, or is the peak still a bit away?

·
Máistir an pointe hocht.
74,340 Posts
Whatever it is, you just can’t argue that mature bucks are more weary and more careful, more averse to risk or just lucky as hell to make it that far. Just think about all the orange guys and gunfire at first light on opening day.
Agree, all I have said is that old doe, just as smart/clever/wary/witty however you want to say it. Bucks might seem like they are, because for every 5.5 year old buck in the woods, there are probably 5 or more 5.5 year old doe. If they were really smart, they'd bust their antlers off, and act like a doe, because the doe seem to have better odds of reaching old age. :D

Reactions: tri-lakes bowhunter

·
Registered
9,654 Posts
[/QUOTE]
Sounds like you are in a great area!!!! Is your rut about to kick in, or is the peak still a bit away?
rut is about mid December- New Years usually.MS has some really good deer but it’s all due to QDM.Most bucks killed in MS are 3.5 or older

·
Super Moderator
27,712 Posts
rut is about mid December- New Years usually.MS has some really good deer but it’s all due to QDM.Most bucks killed in MS are 3.5 or older
[/QUOTE]
not sure how a state with that many ******** can embrace QDM and MO cannot!

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
[/QUOTE]

I was looking to see if there was anywhere down that direction to do a rut hunt during that time period...you have any suggestions? I'd possible look into a guided / semi-guided for a hunt.

·
Registered
9,654 Posts
Because believe it or not more southern hunters are diehard deer crazy and spend Oct1st - Jan 31st hunting every chance they get.Whereas in Missouri rifle season is 2 weeks and majority of people only hunt those two weeks.It’s season structure,the way the tags are with gun tags and rifle tags and all that stuff.If you ever took the time to meet a lot of actual hunters from the south and not just cast blanket judgement cause you seen somebody on public land kill a dink you see a majority of them hunt harder than even you do and when you have 4 months to kill a buck vs 2 weeks it takes a lot of pressure off a guy to have to kill a buck.Rifle season is 2.5 months long down here.I don’t think y’all realize how serious deer season is to people down here,people quit jobs,get divorced,and shut down their businesses for deer season lol

·
Registered
9,654 Posts
I was looking to see if there was anywhere down that direction to do a rut hunt during that time period...you have any suggestions? I'd possible look into a guided / semi-guided for a hunt.
Not real sure I have never been on a guided trip anywhere.I mean I always hear about Giles Island and Tara Wildlife down here but I have never been so I can’t recommend anything

·
Under appreciated
92,929 Posts
Gosh dangit Rat, I agree with all that..... I used the term "smart" as it relates to a deers survival instincts. If it's technically not smart, well antlers aren't horns either, but I have no problem referring to them as such.

But, an adult doe who has the ability to successfully raise to adulthood, as many as 3 fawns in a single year, has some wits about her.

And, you hit nail on the head, when you say there are more of them, so of course they are easier to kill.
I wasnt singling you out as I thought someone else said they were "smart"... at any rate, age/sex/easier to kill is very subjective. What exactly is easier to kill, harder to kill?

I mean we have already determined that 150" bucks are common, so a buck like that would certainly be easier to kill in my book :)

·
Under appreciated
92,929 Posts
sure, righttttt, they dont become more wary as they get older...hmnn. Do mature bucks wander aimlessly about like 1.5 and 2.5, even 3.5 year olds do...all season long??? Those older bucks dont just lay down anywhere, they must reason a bit to know to lay with the wind at their back and scan down wind with their eyes (utilizing two defenses) and then swap sides of the ridge when the wind changes. Bucks absolutely use reason and logic, just not in the same manner as humans.

agian, a 5.5 year doe is likely just are saavy as a 5.5 buck!
Nobody said they dont get more wary as they get older, just that it doesnt matter if a deer has antlers or not, at a certain age they both become wary.

Bucks cannot use reason, they do not have that power. They are reacting to external stimuli. The power of logic is to examine all the different variables in a given situation and reason the most logical solution. Just because they are scanning the wind, looking around doesnt mean they are saying to themselves "there might be a hunter here, I should go there"... I think you are giving them way too much credit. Sure, they have higher sensory levels than us, hihger levels of perception etc than us.
I think higher learning and cognition is saved for certain species and found in primates.

None of this means an older buck is easy to kill as we all know that not to be the case. Just dont expect to be sitting next to a 5.5yr old buck in your next learning annex math class.

Reactions: nastyjack63

·
Registered
9,654 Posts
Nobody said they dont get more wary as they get older, just that it doesnt matter if a deer has antlers or not, at a certain age they both become wary.

Bucks cannot use reason, they do not have that power. They are reacting to external stimuli. The power of logic is to examine all the different variables in a given situation and reason the most logical solution. Just because they are scanning the wind, looking around doesnt mean they are saying to themselves "there might be a hunter here, I should go there"... I think you are giving them way too much credit. Sure, they have higher sensory levels than us, hihger levels of perception etc than us.
I think higher learning and cognition is saved for certain species and found in primates.

None of this means an older buck is easy to kill as we all know that not to be the case. Just dont expect to be sitting next to a 5.5yr old buck in your next learning annex math class.
They get hit by semi trucks blowing train horns at them for Christ sakes lol

·
Super Moderator
27,712 Posts

They get hit by semi trucks blowing train horns at them for Christ sakes lol
so do people!

Just because they are scanning the wind, looking around doesnt mean they are saying to themselves "there might be a hunter here DANGER THERE, I should go there"

I have seen seen look up into empty stands before checking them out to see if I was in them.....what do you call that? They certainly somehow retained that in their memory banks.....not sure if that deer thought I was a hunter or danger or just trying to see what brand of hang on it was in the tree. Again, not syaing they smart, but definitely smarter than Joe & Hunter Biden!

·
Registered
9,654 Posts
I think we over think deer hunting and mature deer are hard to kill because there is less of them but if we hunted a well managed place with an awesome age structure it’s a lot easier to kill a mature buck.I think deer mainly use their nose and sight and if they smell something off then see something move unnaturally to their surroundings then I’m sure they do have memory to remember that spot in the woods I mean they navigate the woods so they obviously know where they are.But big mature bucks get killed everyday so obviously they don’t have enough sense to not return to a place just because they had a bad encounter.Hell a few years back I shot an wounded a 150” MS buck and then 2 months later killed him out the same exact stand eating in same exact foodplot.I guess I’m saying they have enough instincts and senses to pick up on stuff but not enough to do something rational like not return to a spot where you got shot through both shoulders with a .300winmag

301 - 320 of 340 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.