Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
281 - 300 of 340 Posts

·
Super Moderator
25,703 Posts
Mature bucks are more difficult, but they throw caution to the wind during the rut, especially when they're on a doe. Sight, smell, it doesn't matter.
Agree with that, when they are on a doe. But, they don’t stick around the other 340 days to try and alert the youngsters around.

·
Registered
682 Posts
It not which is smarter, but Does create a target rich environment, spend enough time in a tree no matter how bad you suck and you’ll kill one. 4.5 yo bucks are like hens teeth in Missouri.

·
Registered
983 Posts
I am all about killing a doe. Except I have to use my any sex tag on it on most conservation areas so I am saving that.

Can I buy two any sex tags? Google says I can but I can’t find that in the MDC website.

·
Registered
817 Posts
I am all about killing a doe. Except I have to use my any sex tag on it on most conservation areas so I am saving that.

Can I buy two any sex tags? Google says I can but I can’t find that in the MDC website.
Assuming you are referring to Archery tags, you actually received 2 any deer tags and 2 turkey tags when you purchased it. You cannot buy a 2nd buck tag, but you can buy additional antlerless tags. If you put one of those initial ANY DEER “archery” tags on a doe then you can now only kill 1 buck with a bow this year.

·
Registered
4,577 Posts

What you want is antlerless bonus tags. They are $7 each and unlimited for archery.

·
Under appreciated
91,935 Posts
Assuming you are referring to Archery tags, you actually received 2 any deer tags and 2 turkey tags when you purchased it. You cannot buy a 2nd buck tag, but you can buy additional antlerless tags. If you put one of those initial ANY DEER “archery” tags on a doe then you can now only kill 1 buck with a bow to this year.
It always pays to triple check what tag you are using before you notch it. It’s easier than one would think to make a mistake using the app and telechecking.

Reactions: swat1018

·
Registered
6,315 Posts
On many of the CA's you can't use antlerless tags, only any deer. Makes shooting a doe a tough decision. Several of my friends and I used to take a week long trip to various CA's to hunt some different scenery but when they implemented the no antlerless tag rule we quit. Why drive half way across the state to burn your any deer tag on a doe. And yes we would gladly take a doe prior to the change. Had a lot of fun on those trips.

·
Registered
817 Posts
It always pays to triple check what tag you are using before you notch it. It’s easier than one would think to make a mistake using the app and telechecking.
Agreed, I haven’t personally done it, but my dad did one time not to long ago. Reality for us is neither of us kill more than 1 buck a year, but I could still see and feel the pain all the same.

·
Registered
4,577 Posts
Good Lord, the more I read about how messed up the rules and situation is in the northern part of the state the happier I am to be a rebel and live in southern Missouri. Yankee's are some screwed up people.

·
14,451 Posts
Good Lord, the more I read about how messed up the rules and situation is in the northern part of the state the happier I am to be a rebel and live in southern Missouri. Yankee's are some screwed up people.
before they emplemented the No antlerless rule at one of the CA's I use to hunt, it was hard to find a doe to hopefully have a buck following her during the 3rd rut

·
Máistir an pointe hocht.
73,093 Posts
Personally, in response to some of the comments made here about deer smarts Doe vs Buck.....

I don't think there is a smarter deer in the woods, than a 4 or 5+ year old Doe who has successfully raised sets of multiple fawns over the years. She may come across as not as smart as a reclusive buck, but that's only because the reclusive buck doesn't have 2 to 3 children to keep out of harms way, that often get her into a place she'd just as soon not be. See it all the time, those old baby makers are smart as heck..... But, they have different responsibilities that can get them into trouble.

·
Super Moderator
25,703 Posts
Personally, in response to some of the comments made here about deer smarts Doe vs Buck.....

I don't think there is a smarter deer in the woods, than a 4 or 5+ year old Doe who has successfully raised sets of multiple fawns over the years. She may come across as not as smart as a reclusive buck, but that's only because the reclusive buck doesn't have 2 to 3 children to keep out of harms way, that often get her into a place she'd just as soon not be. See it all the time, those old baby makers are smart as heck..... But, they have different responsibilities that can get them into trouble.
I believe that is exactly what i said, but is being responsible actually smart in Nature?

·
Registered
983 Posts
I believe that is exactly what i said, but is being responsible actually smart in Nature?
rhetorical? Sure it is

·
Super Moderator
25,703 Posts
I think we forget that does usually don't travel as much as bucks do, so a does would be more in tune with their woods 365 days a year, and a buck is dialed in like those does until he starts roaming...so likely they are equally as smart.

·
Under appreciated
91,935 Posts
A deer cannot be smart. They lack the power to reason.

Reactions: callaojoe

·
Máistir an pointe hocht.
73,093 Posts
A deer cannot be smart. They lack the power to reason.
This can't be right, have you never been on hunting forums on the internet, or watched a TV hunting show.... Blasphemy!!!

·
Under appreciated
91,935 Posts
This can't be right, have you never been on hunting forums on the internet, or watched a TV hunting show.... Blasphemy!!!
They can have acute senses, they are reactionary, they become reclusive and thus harder to kill, but "smart" indicates to me that we are insinuating that they have problem solving skills. They. Just. Dont.

There is absolutely no reason whatsoever that a deer can be just as wary the older it gets regardless of whether it has antlers or not. I would also argue that an old doe is maybe even more wary just because they are protecting young year after year and have to keep a more acute inventory of their surroundings.

To say an older buck is harder to kill than an older doe is just poppyco ck. Older does are more plentiful perhaps and more likely to encounter, but I'd like to see one shred of proof or research that indicates something regarding this.

Difficulty to kill is not a measure when we are talking about bucks and does that have differing abundance. Of course you are more likely to encounter an older doe than an older buck. There are more of them.

·
Máistir an pointe hocht.
73,093 Posts
Gosh dangit Rat, I agree with all that..... I used the term "smart" as it relates to a deers survival instincts. If it's technically not smart, well antlers aren't horns either, but I have no problem referring to them as such.

But, an adult doe who has the ability to successfully raise to adulthood, as many as 3 fawns in a single year, has some wits about her.

And, you hit nail on the head, when you say there are more of them, so of course they are easier to kill.

281 - 300 of 340 Posts