Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
261 - 280 of 340 Posts

·
Registered
23,588 Posts
The mentality it is public land so shoot away is dumb, at best. When people say i shot him because I was hunting public…. Dead is dead public or private, no chance to live on if you kill it.

·
Registered
8,852 Posts
I’m just saying it is silly to pass all week then shoot a dink, stupid may be a better choice of words! At least say it it was a mature warrior on the downside
I didn’t say pass I’m saying if you haven’t had nothing in range and it’s getting close to the end and you see a 115” 8pt on public land it starts looking like a good decision.It’s public land and I can tell you people shoot dinks on public ground in Iowa especially during deer drive season just for the record

·
Registered
8,852 Posts
The mentality it is public land so shoot away is dumb, at best. When people say i shot him because I was hunting public…. Dead is dead public or private, no chance to live on if you kill it.
Well I can tell you people ain’t passing young bucks on private so why would they on public lol.You and I’s idea of a trophy ain’t the same for others.Hell I know of die hard bow hunters that get excited about killing anything with their bow they don’t even gun hunt at all.Me personally if I ain’t proud of it or it doesn’t get me excited I’ll prolly just keep my tag for year and be done.I have done it many years already.For some people managing deer and all that isn’t what they hunt for.Believe it or not there are more people that are just happy to hunt an kill a deer then there is people who actually try to only kill big deer.I fall out somewhere in the middle.I try my best to shoot older deer but if I mess up I don’t care cause I don’t want to make deer hunting ever not fun to where I’m scared to enjoy myself in fear I might make a mistake

·
Under appreciated
90,349 Posts
I appreciate all those who have offered advice on things that I can do to avoid hunting on crowded public ground. Truth is though, I already know these things. My whole point to starting this post was to express my opinion that the sale of unlimted NR tags is causing an UNBELIEVABLE amount of pressure on some of our public hunting areas. I made a statement in a prior post that I would not be surprised if 90% of all NR's are hunting north of the Missouri River from the last week of October through mid November with most hunting public CA's. I'm not aware of any way to track that data so its pure speculation on my part based on what I see. At times, you would think CA parking lots were hosting Black Friday sales for Walmart and Best Buy with an extra discount for NR's.

Anyway, this thread has gotten a little off track. Things are kinda crazy in our country right now and we have lots more problems to solve than deer hunting problems. It's Thanksgiving and I'm thankful! I would like to wish everyone a safe and Happy Thanksgiving!
Happy Thanksgiving to you as well. Good luck and keep us posted on how things turn out for you. Having a place to hunt nearby is gold. I worked on a place with a local landowner in STL county and gained access to a farm 9 minutes from my house. I relished that opportunity, killed a buck and a couple does, was really nice to be in a stand 15 minutes after you leave the house. It got flooded and was never the same so I lost that.

Happy holidays man.

Reactions: pmpeaks63

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #265 ·
I started this post and at no time have I mentioned anything about the trophy quality of deer harvested by NR's or Residents. I say if it's legal and you want to harvest it then go for it. I'm happy for you. I've been fortunate enough to harvest several nice bucks with my bow over the years so I'm kinda picky about what I shoot whether public or private land. I'd personally rather shoot does for venison and hold out for a buck that gets my heart pumping good. Most years my buck tags are used for tag soup and I'm ok with that.

·
Under appreciated
90,349 Posts
no, a ton of jerk-offgs do apparently! If you pass them all week, why shoot last day or two?
I heard a LOT more shooting yesterday evening around me than I heard all rifle season and I hunted a lot. Seems that way every year.

·
Under appreciated
90,349 Posts
I see both sides of this coin...and have been on both sides and feel I could argue both ways. So, I won't do that.

One simple action that I do wish they would do is double the price of OOS tags. Even if you left them as over the county, I don't think you'd see much of a drop off in sales...I mean, it's only $275 additional. But, this would increase revenue over $13,000,000....which, if you evenly distributed this across all 114 counties (and yes, I know this is a simpleton / quick way of spreading the money evenly even though it is not) that would come out to around $115,000 per county. Use that $, hire 2 guys or contractors per county, and year around have them doing FSI / TSI / prescribed burning / food plots / NWSG plantings, etc....essentially anything habitat related to those conservation areas in their county. Make the conservation area's the model of what private lands should strive for. It would also be a huge benefit to the wildlife in the area.
I agree that the tag prices are part of the problem.

You hit on a good point tho. On the one hand, people drag the MDC through the mud on “unlimited NR tag sales” and being greedy. But on the other hand, as you demonstrated above, if they raised NR tags, just look at all the revenue they would stand to gain?

If the only thing they were worried about was money, why wouldn’t they raise the tag prices? Those two concepts are diametrically opposed if you think deeply about it.

Anyway, permit revenue (all hunting permits, not just deer) are only 17% of the annualized revenue that the MDC takes in. The meat of their revenue comes from the sales tax that Missourians pay (60%) and various federal reimbursements (15%). Their operating budget does not rely as much on permit sales as one would think.

Reactions: hesseu

·
Registered
32,535 Posts
I have 205 acre of public ground that borders some ag fields and a river 5 minutes up the road. I need to spend some time up there with the bow.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Missouri Hunting mobile app

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
I see both sides of this coin...and have been on both sides and feel I could argue both ways. So, I won't do that.

One simple action that I do wish they would do is double the price of OOS tags. Even if you left them as over the county, I don't think you'd see much of a drop off in sales...I mean, it's only $275 additional. But, this would increase revenue over $13,000,000....which, if you evenly distributed this across all 114 counties (and yes, I know this is a simpleton / quick way of spreading the money evenly even though it is not) that would come out to around $115,000 per county. Use that $, hire 2 guys or contractors per county, and year around have them doing FSI / TSI / prescribed burning / food plots / NWSG plantings, etc....essentially anything habitat related to those conservation areas in their county. Make the conservation area's the model of what private lands should strive for. It would also be a huge benefit to the wildlife in the area.
Better yet, triple the cost of everyone's tag!

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
I started this post and at no time have I mentioned anything about the trophy quality of deer harvested by NR's or Residents. I say if it's legal and you want to harvest it then go for it. I'm happy for you. I've been fortunate enough to harvest several nice bucks with my bow over the years so I'm kinda picky about what I shoot whether public or private land. I'd personally rather shoot does for venison and hold out for a buck that gets my heart pumping good. Most years my buck tags are used for tag soup and I'm ok with that.
I 100% agree with this statement, it describes me perfectly. Killed a nice buck in 2019, not a buck since. I'd rather eat a nice doe, as well.

·
Registered
981 Posts
I'm totally that way here where my tag is $17.I get out there and spend 500-600 why wouldn't I want to fill that tag.Maybe I'm missing something?I filled my doe tag out there first.I take great pride in harvesting does,does most of the time are just as smart or smarter than the bucks your hunting.As far as staying home and killing a dink.....I live in Taney County.....dinks here are few and far between. I'm not hunting corn and soybeans here I'm hunting rock piles and acorns if your lucky and persimmons if I'm lucky.

·
Registered
23,588 Posts
To say a doe is as smart are hard to kill as a 4.5+ yo buck is simply not true! Are they on alert always due to you find being around you bet, but mature bucks never 2nd guess their nose, or even eyes, maybe their hearing. But does while alert, ALWAYS, let their maternal instinct out weigh their survival instinct.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #276 ·
I agree that the tag prices are part of the problem.

You hit on a good point tho. On the one hand, people drag the MDC through the mud on “unlimited NR tag sales” and being greedy. But on the other hand, as you demonstrated above, if they raised NR tags, just look at all the revenue they would stand to gain?

If the only thing they were worried about was money, why wouldn’t they raise the tag prices? Those two concepts are diametrically opposed if you think deeply about it.

Anyway, permit revenue (all hunting permits, not just deer) are only 17% of the annualized revenue that the MDC takes in. The meat of their revenue comes from the sales tax that Missourians pay (60%) and various federal reimbursements (15%). Their operating budget does not rely as much on permit sales as one would think.
I can't win so I'll bow out....
I agree with your comment about smart does but with a minor caveat...the old matriarch doe....the alpha doe...she is the challenge. If she ever gets onto your hunting game she needs to be taken out. Those old girls just are way smart and don't give up. She will pattern you and know where all of your treestands or blinds are located. Kinda fun to see but annoying at the same time LOL.

·
Registered
844 Posts
Next year I am shooting a bow. I think that will save me from sharing the woods with a big crowd. Also allow me to be more sneaky in the woods. Plan to kill the first doe in range and then hold out for a respectable mature buck even if I don’t get to shoot a buck at all.

I plan to use gun season to hunt with a family member, and he/she is gonna be on the same program. Nice mature buck or a doe.

I would be happy shooting a doe or nothing every year for the rest of my life if I could get an opportunity at a 150” buck once in 5-10 years. Especially if I get bragging rights on a piece of public ground, lol. Never gonna see one if you won’t hold out.

Squirrel hunting is the cure for an itchy trigger finger.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #278 ·
Next year I am shooting a bow. I think that will save me from sharing the woods with a big crowd. Also allow me to be more sneaky in the woods. Plan to kill the first doe in range and then hold out for a respectable mature buck even if I don’t get to shoot a buck at all.

I plan to use gun season to hunt with a family member, and he/she is gonna be on the same program. Nice mature buck or a doe.

I would be happy shooting a doe or nothing every year for the rest of my life if I could get an opportunity at a 150” buck once in 5-10 years. Especially if I get bragging rights on a piece of public ground, lol. Never gonna see one if you won’t hold out.

Squirrel hunting is the cure for an itchy trigger finger.
I like the way you think Bryan but hey, in the end we all have do what makes it fun and enjoyable for ourselves...as long as its legal I say do what makes you happy.

·
Registered
844 Posts
Just shooting squirrels makes me pretty happy. Fun to shoot and good to eat. But a big, lean roast of venison or some chicken fried backstraps would be nice too. Or a big rack on the wall.

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
To say a doe is as smart are hard to kill as a 4.5+ yo buck is simply not true! Are they on alert always due to you find being around you bet, but mature bucks never 2nd guess their nose, or even eyes, maybe their hearing. But does while alert, ALWAYS, let their maternal instinct out weigh their survival instinct.
Mature bucks are more difficult, but they throw caution to the wind during the rut, especially when they're on a doe. Sight, smell, it doesn't matter.

261 - 280 of 340 Posts