Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
241 - 260 of 340 Posts

·
Registered
8,852 Posts
"Die hard hunter" = means be like antlercrazed? Because if you aren't like antlercrazed and don't share his ideas of a trophy and shoot what is legal and makes you happy then somehow you are a lesser hunter.
Yep that’s exactly what I said.I feel like I just got quoted by CNN

what I said was that some people just want to hunt gun season and get back to life and don’t really eat sleep or die by hunting and just aren’t what you would call diehards they just enjoy the outdoors for a few weeks and get back to life and there is nothing wrong with that.But apparently saying nothing is wrong with that is wrong and makes me an elitist my manhood large and a serious big buck assassin 🤔

·
Part-time malcontent
7,610 Posts
Yep that’s exactly what I said.I feel like I just got quoted by CNN

what I said was that some people just want to hunt gun season and get back to life and don’t really eat sleep or die by hunting and just aren’t what you would call diehards they just enjoy the outdoors for a few weeks and get back to life and there is nothing wrong with that.But apparently saying nothing is wrong with that is wrong and makes me an elitist my manhood large and a serious big buck assassin 🤔
Forehead Nose Smile Human Beard

·
Registered
4,468 Posts
If I'm mistaken, I apologise. At face value your statement seems judgemental and biased.

·
13,987 Posts
Yeah pretty much it’s the “I gotta kill a buck” or I’m unsuccessful mentality.
first time I heard that was at the McDonalds in Concordia, mo. 2 guys coming back froma Pike Co Ill. guided hunt, shot 2 6 pointers and pretty much said that.
I have heard the same thing , not sure how many times talking to oos archery hunters hunting public ground in Kansas, twice this year, one was a Alabama 90 inch 8 and the other Luoisana 110 inch 10.. thing is, they showed me pictures of much larger bucks they had seen

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #245 ·
I appreciate all those who have offered advice on things that I can do to avoid hunting on crowded public ground. Truth is though, I already know these things. My whole point to starting this post was to express my opinion that the sale of unlimted NR tags is causing an UNBELIEVABLE amount of pressure on some of our public hunting areas. I made a statement in a prior post that I would not be surprised if 90% of all NR's are hunting north of the Missouri River from the last week of October through mid November with most hunting public CA's. I'm not aware of any way to track that data so its pure speculation on my part based on what I see. At times, you would think CA parking lots were hosting Black Friday sales for Walmart and Best Buy with an extra discount for NR's.

Anyway, this thread has gotten a little off track. Things are kinda crazy in our country right now and we have lots more problems to solve than deer hunting problems. It's Thanksgiving and I'm thankful! I would like to wish everyone a safe and Happy Thanksgiving!

·
Registered
8,852 Posts
first time I heard that was at the McDonalds in Concordia, mo. 2 guys coming back froma Pike Co Ill. guided hunt, shot 2 6 pointers and pretty much said that.
I have heard the same thing , not sure how many times talking to oos archery hunters hunting public ground in Kansas, twice this year, one was a Alabama 90 inch 8 and the other Luoisana 110 inch 10.. thing is, they showed me pictures of much larger bucks they had seen
It’s evident in the data every year that the majority of hunters want to kill a buck.Also the higher the cost of the tag the more the desire to not bring it home with you grows.That’s human nature unfortunately. You can lie to yourself and think only NR hunters have that desire and only they shoot dinks in large numbers.But you just lying to yourself and frankly who cares if people shoot dinks they bought the tag and they drug it out the woods.Bout the only thing that would ever bother me is someone shooting a deer cutting out back straps and leaving it in the woods.Somebody shoots one they want and they proud of it,good for them I don’t care if they from Missouri,Canada,Virgin Islands,or Jamesport.Had to get my Amish jab in there lol

·
Registered
23,588 Posts
It’s evident in the data every year that the majority of hunters want to kill a buck.Also the higher the cost of the tag the more the desire to not bring it home with you grows.That’s human nature unfortunately. You can lie to yourself and think only NR hunters have that desire and only they shoot dinks in large numbers.But you just lying to yourself and frankly who cares if people shoot dinks they bought the tag and they drug it out the woods.Bout the only thing that would ever bother me is someone shooting a deer cutting out back straps and leaving it in the woods.Somebody shoots one they want and they proud of it,good for them I don’t care if they from Missouri,Canada,Virgin Islands,or Jamesport.Had to get my Amish jab in there lol
Styupid nature, not human nature! Did you really just drive hundreds of miles to kill a oneteen?

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
I see both sides of this coin...and have been on both sides and feel I could argue both ways. So, I won't do that.

One simple action that I do wish they would do is double the price of OOS tags. Even if you left them as over the county, I don't think you'd see much of a drop off in sales...I mean, it's only $275 additional. But, this would increase revenue over $13,000,000....which, if you evenly distributed this across all 114 counties (and yes, I know this is a simpleton / quick way of spreading the money evenly even though it is not) that would come out to around $115,000 per county. Use that $, hire 2 guys or contractors per county, and year around have them doing FSI / TSI / prescribed burning / food plots / NWSG plantings, etc....essentially anything habitat related to those conservation areas in their county. Make the conservation area's the model of what private lands should strive for. It would also be a huge benefit to the wildlife in the area.

·
Registered
8,852 Posts
Styupid nature, not human nature! Did you really just drive hundreds of miles to kill a oneteen?
Yes some people only hunt a couple weeks per year and if they spent $500 on gas “Thanks Biden” and $265 on a tag, $400 on a hotel,and only have a week to hunt a lot of people especially in the last couple days of their hunt their size requirement to release an arrow goes way down.It’s human nature when you invest money to want a return.I don’t care I have went home with my tag before but I understand the thought process and have seen people like that.I have seen Amish doing man drives shooting everything,I have seen people hunting out of trucks opening morning on top an hill and shoot first buck they seen,I have seen someone shoot a deer off the road an almost shoot my uncle in the process,I have seen a whole bunch of “I gotta Kill a buck” mentality over the last 12 years or so in NoMo

·
Registered
23,588 Posts
I see both sides of this coin...and have been on both sides and feel I could argue both ways. So, I won't do that.

One simple action that I do wish they would do is double the price of OOS tags. Even if you left them as over the county, I don't think you'd see much of a drop off in sales...I mean, it's only $275 additional. But, this would increase revenue over $13,000,000....which, if you evenly distributed this across all 114 counties (and yes, I know this is a simpleton / quick way of spreading the money evenly even though it is not) that would come out to around $115,000 per county. Use that $, hire 2 guys or contractors per county, and year around have them doing FSI / TSI / prescribed burning / food plots / NWSG plantings, etc....essentially anything habitat related to those conservation areas in their county. Make the conservation area's the model of what private lands should strive for. It would also be a huge benefit to the wildlife in the area.
AMazing post and that would be good stewards of the money, so it will likely never happen in a govt run agency!

·
Registered
981 Posts
I hunt public ground as well in Missouri and Kansas.I hunted Kansas this year and seen multiple good deer and lots of deer.I also seen lots of hunters,its public I know that's the way it is.We eat deer meat in my house,not just snack sticks and summer sausage,I utilize the whole thing.Im a die hard bowhunter,as much as anyone I've ever seen.On that not I paid whatever I paid...$500 something for my Kansas archery tag.Just quick estimates but I spent $500 on the tag,another $1500 in gas and food,$2000 on lodging for close to 3 weeks out there.I hunted hard and on the second to last day I could hunt I filled both tags,my buck tag on a 2 year old 8 point and my doe tag.My point is you can't manage public ground like you can private.The pressure is real when you've spent that kind of cash to kill a deer,I don't feel like I could look my family in the eyes with nothing to show for that kind of hunt.But that could play into the 2 year Olds being killed in my opinion

·
13,987 Posts
You can lie to yourself and think only NR hunters have that desire and only they shoot dinks in large numbers.
You are talking in generalities including both rifle and archery hunters across the country, not to my post.
I do not know of one Kansas archery hunter that will shoot a dink even on the last day of the season, and I was thinkiing, I do not know one Kansas rifle hunter. I did at one time but they all got in trouble for party hunting or a couple guys I knew were hunting on a boy scout camp and got caught etc....all criminals
Just don't show pictures of 4 guys with 11 bucks on the ground, or big bucks that you say I got over here when adjacent land owners know of them, etc....

·
Registered
8,852 Posts
You are talking in generalities including both rifle and archery hunters across the country, not to my post.
I do not know of one Kansas archery hunter that will shoot a dink even on the last day of the season, and I was thinkiing, I do not know one Kansas rifle hunter. I did at one time but they all got in trouble for party hunting or a couple guys I knew were hunting on a boy scout camp and got caught etc....all criminals
Just don't show pictures of 4 guys with 11 bucks on the ground, or big bucks that you say I got over here when adjacent land owners know of them, etc....
I’m talking Missouri I ain’t even talking about Kansas and yes if I spent $500 plus on a Kansas tag and it was getting close to my last day I would shoot a dink and fry him up and eat him.Deer managers don’t hunt public land

·
13,987 Posts
I’m talking Missouri I ain’t even talking about Kansas and yes if I spent $500 plus on a Kansas tag and it was getting close to my last day I would shoot a dink and fry him up and eat him.Deer managers don’t hunt public land
that is the problem and the subject of this post, OOS hunters shooting dinks on public land,,,,

·
Registered
23,588 Posts
no, a ton of jerk-offgs do apparently! If you pass them all week, why shoot last day or two?

·
Registered
8,852 Posts
that is the problem and the subject of this post, OOS hunters shooting dinks on public land,,,,
Naw actually it was just out of state hunters hunting public land at Reform CA.And everyone shoots dinks on public land in Missouri and they do it on private.That’s my point,a state that kills 90-95% of deer 3 or younger don’t need to be concerned with public land hunters they need to change way more than that if they wanted to be Iowa or whatever you all wish it was.It ain’t the public land hunters

·
Registered
8,852 Posts
no, a ton of jerk-offgs do apparently! If you pass them all week, why shoot last day or two?
Because you spent $1500 on a week long trip it ain’t that hard to understand and if you only drawing a tag once in a blue moon to boot and your on public land a nice 3.5 year old is plenty good enough on public land.The only dipchit is anyone who thinks everybody should think like them and only shoot mature deer even on public land lol.Talk to me about managing public land when you have a beam an spread law to protect all bucks under 3.5 years old and it’s bow only

·
Registered
23,588 Posts
Because you spent $1500 on a week long trip it ain’t that hard to understand and if you only drawing a tag once in a blue moon to boot and your on public land a nice 3.5 year old is plenty good enough on public land.The only dipchit is anyone who thinks everybody should think like them and only shoot mature deer even on public land lol.Talk to me about managing public land when you have a beam an spread law to protect all bucks under 3.5 years old and it’s bow only
I’m just saying it is silly to pass all week then shoot a dink, stupid may be a better choice of words! At least say it it was a mature warrior on the downside

·
Registered
23,588 Posts
Save the $1500 and shoot a dink at home

241 - 260 of 340 Posts