Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
Obviously a totally ungrateful out of stater. So as a tax paying citizen of the State of Missouri, I shouldn't concern myself with ungrateful people like you coming here in unchecked hoards, putting a strain on the system? Sorry but I choose to make this an issue and will conntinue to do so. It's out of control in my opinion. Time for change.
What about out of staters that pay more taxes than you? Just curious?

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
Welcome to MO! I feel your pain. It's been a little difficult to have a meaningful conversation on this forum about this subject but it seems that things have settled down a bit. I just wish there was readily avaiable data to measure the true impact of unlimited NR tag sales. It's difficult to try to solve a perceived problem without factual data. You and I think NR access is out of control based on our experience. Others don't see it as a problem. No facts available, just opinion and speculation. I would like to see MDC study this and publish their findings so we can all speak intelligently about it without strong opinion and emotion steering the conversation.
Impact on what? Your inability to kill a deer?

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
So your complaint isnt at all that its too busy with folks and not enough room for you to hunt?
I'm not sure he knows. He pays taxes, when I said I bet I pay more MO taxes than he, then he said taxes doesn't matter. I could complain about St. Louis people leasing the field all around my ground and hunting in the fence, because there are no trees on the farm they leased. What's the point, you have to work with what your dealt.

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
I understand your perspective but I have a question, do the other states you hunt allow unlimted NR tags and unlimited public land access? Are tags sold for specific zones or statewide? Is the process a "free for all" like MO or is it more controlled? I would think that even NR's coming to MO to hunt would appreciate a higher quality experience on public ground.
I'm in Indiana, and yes, NR can all buy a tag.

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
These are real numbers sent to me by MDC on the morning of 11/13/21 and reflect all deer tag sales through 11/12/21. If we are going to talk numbers then we can least all be looking at the same data. I separated it out by RES & NR.

TypeCodeProductNameValidCountTypeCodeProductNameValidCount
60​
RES ARCHER`S HUNTING 120,638
83​
NON-RES ARCH ANTLERLESS DEER
4222​
81​
RES ARCHERY ANTLERLESS DEER 68,972
75​
NON-RES ARCHER`S HUNTING
14558​
64​
RES DMAP FIREARMS ANTLERLESS DEER 370
72​
NON-RES DMAP FIREARMS ANTLERLESS DEER
101​
62​
RES FIREARM ANTLERLESS 154,160
73​
NON-RES FIREARM ANTLERLESS DEER
7870​
65​
RES FIREARM ANY DEER HUNTING 232,073
70​
NON-RES FIREARM ANY DEER
17102​
120​
RES LANDOWNER ARCHER'S HUNTING 48,858
79​
NON-RES MANAGED DEER HUNTING
18​
121​
RES LANDOWNER ARCHERY ANTLERLESS DEER 95,282
675​
NON-RES YOUTH ARCHER'S HUNTING
568​
101​
RES LANDOWNER FIREARMS ANTLERLESS DEER 88,192
683​
NON-RES YOUTH ARCHERY ANTLERLESS DEER
285​
100​
RES LANDOWNER FIREARMS ANY DEER 74,022
673​
NON-RES YOUTH FIREARM ANTLERLESS DEER
1139​
69​
RES MANAGED DEER HUNTING 3,366
670​
NON-RES YOUTH FIREARM ANY DEER HUNTING
2220​
660​
RES YOUTH ARCHER'S HUNTING 9,444
679​
NON-RES YOUTH MANAGED DEER HUNTING
2​
681​
RES YOUTH ARCHERY ANTLERLESS DEER 4,909
108​
NONRESIDENT LANDOWNER FIREARM DEER
805​
664​
RES YOUTH DMAP FIREARMS ANTLERLESS DEER 13Total
48890​
662​
RES YOUTH FIREARM ANTLERLESS DEER 25,137
665​
RES YOUTH FIREARM ANY DEER HUNTING 47,987
669​
RES YOUTH MANAGED DEER HUNTING 314
Total 973,737
Not sure these numbers are making your point. 973,700 res vs. 49,000 NR. NR are 5% roughly, how many need cut to help you?

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
I see both sides of this coin...and have been on both sides and feel I could argue both ways. So, I won't do that.

One simple action that I do wish they would do is double the price of OOS tags. Even if you left them as over the county, I don't think you'd see much of a drop off in sales...I mean, it's only $275 additional. But, this would increase revenue over $13,000,000....which, if you evenly distributed this across all 114 counties (and yes, I know this is a simpleton / quick way of spreading the money evenly even though it is not) that would come out to around $115,000 per county. Use that $, hire 2 guys or contractors per county, and year around have them doing FSI / TSI / prescribed burning / food plots / NWSG plantings, etc....essentially anything habitat related to those conservation areas in their county. Make the conservation area's the model of what private lands should strive for. It would also be a huge benefit to the wildlife in the area.
Better yet, triple the cost of everyone's tag!

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
I started this post and at no time have I mentioned anything about the trophy quality of deer harvested by NR's or Residents. I say if it's legal and you want to harvest it then go for it. I'm happy for you. I've been fortunate enough to harvest several nice bucks with my bow over the years so I'm kinda picky about what I shoot whether public or private land. I'd personally rather shoot does for venison and hold out for a buck that gets my heart pumping good. Most years my buck tags are used for tag soup and I'm ok with that.
I 100% agree with this statement, it describes me perfectly. Killed a nice buck in 2019, not a buck since. I'd rather eat a nice doe, as well.

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
To say a doe is as smart are hard to kill as a 4.5+ yo buck is simply not true! Are they on alert always due to you find being around you bet, but mature bucks never 2nd guess their nose, or even eyes, maybe their hearing. But does while alert, ALWAYS, let their maternal instinct out weigh their survival instinct.
Mature bucks are more difficult, but they throw caution to the wind during the rut, especially when they're on a doe. Sight, smell, it doesn't matter.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.