Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Super Moderator
25,881 Posts
I understand and respect your perspective on this issue. I would hope there can be some focus on it by MDC though. There is no doubt that Missouri is the "catch all" state that gets the nod when guys don't draw Kansas or Iowa. Most bowhunters would choose Kansas or Iowa over Missouri any day and use Missouri as their backup plan. As for leasing, There are lots more Iowa leases available at resonable rates than Missouri. Check out:

Missouri Hunting Leases | Base Camp Leasing
Iowa Hunting Leases | Base Camp Leasing
Missouri Hunting Leases | Hunting Lease Network
Iowa Hunting Leases | Hunting Lease Network

Pretty sure nonresident pressure is a huge factor in the high price and lack of avaiability of Missouri leases.
Too much truth be spoken here, no one like truth!

·
Super Moderator
25,881 Posts
NR kill about 7.5% of the harvest,deer hunter numbers overall all over the country and of residents of Mo are down cause nobody wants to bow hunt anymore and kids are getting out of hunting an into video games.The harvest has to be a certain level they aren’t changing crap until the harvest model they want gets out of wack and right now there is less deer killed than back in 2006 in MO.MO has way more deer than Iowa.So they only chance of anything changing is MO going to 1 buck and that’s about it
Was wondering when this crap would come up! That is a ton of deer and not much issue with it, but don’t play it off like it is not significant

·
Super Moderator
25,881 Posts
NR kill about 7.5% of the harvest,deer hunter numbers overall all over the country and of residents of Mo are down cause nobody wants to bow hunt anymore and kids are getting out of hunting an into video games.The harvest has to be a certain level they aren’t changing crap until the harvest model they want gets out of wack and right now there is less deer killed than back in 2006 in MO.MO has way more deer than Iowa.So they only chance of anything changing is MO going to 1 buck and that’s about it
Mo hunter numbers are NIT decreasing,

·
Super Moderator
25,881 Posts
Been beating this horse for 10 plus years…..nothing will change other than your frustration level. MDC will not change, nor react timely. ie the 2012 ehd outbreak, mdc kept thing status quo unlike SD which again this year cut tags PRIOR to the current hunting year following a ehd die off.

Nothing will change cause according to mdc Missourians are happy shooting sub mature deer during peak rut.
Ignorance is bliss, and MO hunters are in heaven!

·
Super Moderator
25,881 Posts
14% less bow hunters bought tags last year and 8% less Gun Hunters.They have a quota of deer they want shot they say on their summary and to keep the population where they want somebody has to kill them.They giving away CWD tags like candy at trick or treat and shooting deer after the season over corn piles at night and you worried about a NR killing something.They manage for population if the herd is ever in decline trust me they will limit tags,until then hunt an have fun and quit worrying by about being Iowa who has way way less deer overall.We not biologist but I’m pretty confident the ones who are that run the show know what they are doing and maybe one day you get your wish where a NR has to draw an get 1 buck tag but with CWD an all that crap good luck wishing
In Missouri?

·
Super Moderator
25,881 Posts
So your complaint isnt at all that its too busy with folks and not enough room for you to hunt?
No, he says it is overrun with OIS hunters, don’t be obtuse!

tgere should be some or all state land limited to residents only. If nr wanna hunt, lease, purchase it outfitter’. All he the economy. Or, hunt federal public, solved, next topic!

·
Super Moderator
25,881 Posts
My god that's nuts. For a guy who hunts IL a lot, I do not get this sentiment from you of all people.

I have killed 3/4 of my Mule deer on "public" ground in Montana..... God forbid they do not allow NR's to hunt it anymore.

Now, if they want to control the # of people who hunt it, that's fine, put it under managed hunt status if it's getting too much pressure. But this NR hate stuff, I do not get, not one bit. They spend money on tags, and sporting equipment in this state, money that goes to MDC. Heck, some of them spend a lot more than residents.

Be very careful what you wish for here Bob, it could easily come back to bite you....
I’m not sure how many residents of Montana hunt there, do you think it is close to 500,000.

PS. IL has public lands that are for residents ONLy!

·
Super Moderator
25,881 Posts
Those states don’t have half the deer Missouri does.Like I said it’s based off how limited the resource is.The deer aren’t in danger.The herd has slowly grew actually since EHD was bad back a few years.So if the herd has grew an stabilized then the resource is fine an hunter numbers are fine.If they did anything it be take away a buck tag from everybody or maybe NR hunters and only give everybody 1 or just NRs 1 buck tag.Cause they want the hunters attracted to the state so they will hopefully kill a doe or two while they are here and make them $580 a pop
And Missouri doesn’t have the quality of bucks percentage wise of herd those other states do, hence why they can’t charge a premium! Any smart southern boy if the price of OOS state tags were equal they would be in KS, IA or IL

·
Super Moderator
25,881 Posts
It’s evident in the data every year that the majority of hunters want to kill a buck.Also the higher the cost of the tag the more the desire to not bring it home with you grows.That’s human nature unfortunately. You can lie to yourself and think only NR hunters have that desire and only they shoot dinks in large numbers.But you just lying to yourself and frankly who cares if people shoot dinks they bought the tag and they drug it out the woods.Bout the only thing that would ever bother me is someone shooting a deer cutting out back straps and leaving it in the woods.Somebody shoots one they want and they proud of it,good for them I don’t care if they from Missouri,Canada,Virgin Islands,or Jamesport.Had to get my Amish jab in there lol
Styupid nature, not human nature! Did you really just drive hundreds of miles to kill a oneteen?

·
Super Moderator
25,881 Posts
I see both sides of this coin...and have been on both sides and feel I could argue both ways. So, I won't do that.

One simple action that I do wish they would do is double the price of OOS tags. Even if you left them as over the county, I don't think you'd see much of a drop off in sales...I mean, it's only $275 additional. But, this would increase revenue over $13,000,000....which, if you evenly distributed this across all 114 counties (and yes, I know this is a simpleton / quick way of spreading the money evenly even though it is not) that would come out to around $115,000 per county. Use that $, hire 2 guys or contractors per county, and year around have them doing FSI / TSI / prescribed burning / food plots / NWSG plantings, etc....essentially anything habitat related to those conservation areas in their county. Make the conservation area's the model of what private lands should strive for. It would also be a huge benefit to the wildlife in the area.
AMazing post and that would be good stewards of the money, so it will likely never happen in a govt run agency!

·
Super Moderator
25,881 Posts
I’m talking Missouri I ain’t even talking about Kansas and yes if I spent $500 plus on a Kansas tag and it was getting close to my last day I would shoot a dink and fry him up and eat him.Deer managers don’t hunt public land
no, a ton of jerk-offgs do apparently! If you pass them all week, why shoot last day or two?

·
Super Moderator
25,881 Posts
Because you spent $1500 on a week long trip it ain’t that hard to understand and if you only drawing a tag once in a blue moon to boot and your on public land a nice 3.5 year old is plenty good enough on public land.The only dipchit is anyone who thinks everybody should think like them and only shoot mature deer even on public land lol.Talk to me about managing public land when you have a beam an spread law to protect all bucks under 3.5 years old and it’s bow only
I’m just saying it is silly to pass all week then shoot a dink, stupid may be a better choice of words! At least say it it was a mature warrior on the downside

·
Super Moderator
25,881 Posts
Because you spent $1500 on a week long trip it ain’t that hard to understand and if you only drawing a tag once in a blue moon to boot and your on public land a nice 3.5 year old is plenty good enough on public land.The only dipchit is anyone who thinks everybody should think like them and only shoot mature deer even on public land lol.Talk to me about managing public land when you have a beam an spread law to protect all bucks under 3.5 years old and it’s bow only
Save the $1500 and shoot a dink at home

·
Super Moderator
25,881 Posts
The mentality it is public land so shoot away is dumb, at best. When people say i shot him because I was hunting public…. Dead is dead public or private, no chance to live on if you kill it.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.