Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Banned
24,572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone tried refilling the small propane cylinders. I saw a fitting at Harbor Freight that would allow you to refill these cylinders, but without a way to release the excess gas and get the cylinder full of liquid, I wondered how long it would last.

[file]83584[/file]

·
Banned
24,572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, that is the one. How full can he get the cylinders? right now I have my camping bbq hooked to a 10 lb cylinder.

·
Trapper Groupie
7,725 Posts
Im not sure,he only fills the green camping ones.He saves a buttload of money and he refills from a 10 lb as well.I noticed there was no gauge or anything and asked him if it was possible to overfill and possibly blow the smaller tanks up and his response was never really thought about it I just hook it up and come back in a little while and unhook it.I am gonna get one myself.

·
Registered
13,245 Posts
[rquote=1505696&tid=105025&author=Big L]Im not sure,he only fills the green camping ones.He saves a buttload of money and he refills from a 10 lb as well.I noticed there was no gauge or anything and asked him if it was possible to overfill and possibly blow the smaller tanks up and his response was never really thought about it I just hook it up and come back in a little while and unhook it.I am gonna get one myself.[/rquote]

Famous last words

·
Trapper Groupie
7,725 Posts
[rquote=1505697&tid=105025&author=MellerAM][rquote=1505696&tid=105025&author=Big L]Im not sure,he only fills the green camping ones.He saves a buttload of money and he refills from a 10 lb as well.I noticed there was no gauge or anything and asked him if it was possible to overfill and possibly blow the smaller tanks up and his response was never really thought about it I just hook it up and come back in a little while and unhook it.I am gonna get one myself.[/rquote]

Famous last words[/rquote]

Exactly my thoughts.:hysterical:Maybe I will just let him fill mine for me

·
Trapper Groupie
7,725 Posts
Myth: larger propane cylinders generate more pressure than small tanks. This is false, they all generate the same pressure

·
Registered
4,091 Posts
When I cleaned my Dad's motorhome out after he died I know there were tanks in there that had been to Alaska and back at least 6 times. Some had rolled around so long that there wasnt much paint left on them. He used the needlenose method of getting them full and occasionally one would leak and he would dispose of it.

·
Registered
13,245 Posts
you can get a hose to connet your appliance (coleman camp stove, buddy heater, etc...) to a 20lb tank. That would be handy for camping, bring a small gas grill, for dinner then hook up the camp stove to the 20lb tank to cook breakfast.
[file]83593[/file]

Other than that for portable use lanters, etc I'll just buy the little bottles.

·
PURE KILLER
38,022 Posts
been using one for at least five years and havn't had any problems at all.best way to me is put the empty ones in the freezer overnight and then refill them.

·
Retired
9,541 Posts
Ive learned that they CAN be refilled. The reason you dont hear much about it, though, is that these cylinders arent DOT-approved for refilling. This means that you cant take your cylinders to the local propane-equipped service station and have them refilled. Thats against the law. And refilled cylinders cant be sold commercially. And commercial operators cant transport refilled cylinders across state lines. There are all sorts of limitations and potential liabilities associated with refilling these cylinders.

Its perfectly legal to refill them for personal use, however.

:cheers::cheers:

This can be bought from several sources------

[Edited on 12-10-2009 by Plasticman]

[file]83594[/file]

·
Banned
24,572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I have that hose for my bbq and camp stove, but I was thinking of taking my stove to a deer blind and I didn't want to carry the 10 lb cylinder or leave it there.

Thanks to everyone who responded

·
Registered
5,389 Posts
[rquote=1505715&tid=105025&author=Big L]Myth: larger propane cylinders generate more pressure than small tanks. This is false, they all generate the same pressure[/rquote]

Very true, only difference is the volume.

·
Registered
5,389 Posts
[rquote=1505791&tid=105025&author=Plasticman]I’ve learned that they CAN be refilled. The reason you don’t hear much about it, though, is that these cylinders aren’t DOT-approved for refilling. This means that you can’t take your cylinders to the local propane-equipped service station and have them refilled. That’s against the law. And refilled cylinders can’t be sold commercially. And commercial operators can’t transport refilled cylinders across state lines. There are all sorts of limitations and potential liabilities associated with refilling these cylinders.

It’s perfectly legal to refill them for personal use, however.

:cheers::cheers:

This can be bought from several sources------

[Edited on 12-10-2009 by Plasticman][/rquote]

Yep, regulations got a little tighter after Praxair went cablewy.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.