Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The last couple of years the # of red foxes have increased drastically on our land and our turkey # keeps decreasing every year. It is not uncommon to set on the back porch in the middle of the day and see 1-3 foxes within a couple of hours. One day i pulled in the driveway and drove up to one of my food plots and there were 4 big red foxes playing on a dirt mound. I always see them out running around in the middle of the afternoon. My question is this, I'm not sure when fox season starts, but what is the most effecient way to decline there population in my area? Can I call them in with a predator call when season opens? If so what predator call works best? Our should i try to trap them? Any advice would be appreciated.

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Nov 15th -- Feb 15th
Set a game call and :sniper: would be my sugestion...I'll even help you if you need.

Otherwise I'm sure there are some trappers on here who would be willing to help you out.

·
Registered
5,424 Posts
just me but I'd rather trap them, but if you are more concerned about getting rid of them quick hunting would be the the way to go. I believe furbearer season starts on 15 november. my suggestion is a mouse squeaker or rabbit distress call is the way to go.

·
Registered
13,810 Posts
www.varminthunters.com/ggvg/html

, and ask for PH. Pete is the most knowledgeable guy I know on red foxes, he gets them to come REAL close, for pictures or bullets:D Actually, those guys are a pretty knowledgeable bunch, as are some of those guys on
www.predatormasters.com. Sounds like fun to me!

·
Registered
77 Posts
The best way I can think of would be to trap them. Use 1 1/2 leg hold traps in a dirt hole set. You will need to boil the traps and dye them. if u have eney ? about it let me no.:)

·
Registered
575 Posts
Man,If you were only closer I'd be more than happy to take care of them.I'd trap them.
Years ago we used to hunt them at night.We used a red fox pup in distress,and a red lensed light,12 gauge with #2s in the face. Reds take a little longer to come in and will usually sneak in as compared to greys that will come running at you immediatly.I don't think you're allowed to hunt at night with a light here,BUT,read the regs carefully,I think theres a loophole for landowners.
With the amont of coyotes we have I'm surprised you have that many reds.
Where exactly are you located? Now you got me stirred up.
If I can help you in any way let me know.
If easier let me know and I'll send you my phone #,I don't type well and some things are easier to explain live.
Mike

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.