Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
38,393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was up in Macon County today, wasn't sure what these critters were, beings all I saw at first were spike bucks....then a few big ones jumped up....some of em had really big racks!!!! Really dark red with summer coats on too, kinda purty, for high fence deer...lol

·
Senior Member Team 19
3,491 Posts
they look like axis deer. Even tho most axis are reddishbrown with white spots there are other hide variations that are dark brown, light tan and red like this.... had to look it all up to make sure

·
Registered
38,393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I wondered that too Dutch, but the bigger racks in the back of the pack there, are structured more like elk, and red deer, with the crown points up top....way more bone than an axis deer....pics don't show it well though, but my nikons did!!!

·
Registered
38,393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Originally posted by Whitemarsh
Are they located over by the elk farm?
WM, not sure, they are in the northwest part of Macon County, nw of New Cambria...Heartland Game Ranches or sumptin like that on the signs...

·
Registered
186 Posts
You must have been lost to wonder into this part of the country:) I own across the road from where you took the pictures and they are Red Deer. You should hear them in September when they are in rut. The have a roar that sounds a lot like an African lion.

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Sparky that must be awsome to hear. I know I got chills down my spine when I heard elk bugle for the first time in ID.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.