Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a recurve last year to go bow fishing with. Now I find myself taking it rabbitt hunting and everything. When I set it up I got 1/2 dozen arrows to practice shooting. Ok guys here is my question... The arrows that I got were never cut down, they are the actual 31 or 32 inches they come. When I draw the recurve back, there is anywhere from 5-7 inches hanging over the rest. Should I cut these down or will that weaken the spine. Just seems like I am shooting spears instead of arrows. Thanks for any advice.

·
Registered
12,625 Posts
Cut em down to about an inch past your riser at full draw and you will be fine. Shorting the shafts will not weaken the spine, just the opposite it will stiffen them abit. What arrows are you using?

·
Registered
6,274 Posts
What MoBowman said. The shorter any given shaft is the stiffer it is.

·
Registered
3,004 Posts
It will change your point of impact some. Cutting off 5 -7 inches is going to lighten your arrow quite a bit. Thats alot of extra arrow sticking out.

·
Jenny's Lackey
46,684 Posts
Spine on a recurve is just as important as spine on a compound. Stiffening the spine too much will give you poor arrow flight just like it will on a compound. If it's shooting good now, I'd not mess with it. I used to have a program to test arrow spine on recurves, but I don't anymore. Maybe fireman will chime in here with somewhere to help determin arrow size

·
Registered
38,389 Posts
Are you getting good arrow flight with full length arrows??? If it ain't broke, don't fix it!!!! I believe exact arrow spine on trad bows is way more important than on a compound!!! Here's a link to "bare shaft" tuning...it works, believe me!!!

http://www.acsbows.com/bareshaftplaning.html

·
Registered
38,389 Posts
NEVER bare shaft tune with a broadhead, always use a target tip!!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts