Recurve?

Discussion in 'Archery Hunting' started by Woods, Apr 4, 2006.

1. Woods

Woods Cooyon, Back from NOLA

I'm looking to buy a NEW take down recurve for bowfishing, without braking the bank. I have been looking at the AIM recurves (TD hunter & Trophy hunter). Anyone shooting a AIM?

2. Woods

I'm also open to any take down recurves priced under $200.

3. Bowkil

Bowkil New Member

Aug 4, 2005
    Ozark Plateau
  4. FiremanBrad

FiremanBrad New Member

PSE makes some inexpensive recurves, as does martin.....I would personally buy the Martin...I believe they make one called the X200, or X100 or something...it really zips an arrow!!! Of course, if ya want the best, buy a BlackWidow....mines killed a TON of fish thru the years!!! And as purty as it is, mud don't hurt it any....lol.

Some guys have luck buying them at garage sales too, but all of em I find are way over priced...you should be able to buy an old Ben Pearson or similar bow for 100 bucks...

Also, I bought my takedown in 1999, and have never ever taken it apart...nice to be able to if I need to, but never have...most of the older recurves will be one piece, and they will be less expensive. If you find one without sight bushings, or stabilizer bushing, let me know, I'll hook ya up with a guy who carries bushings.

5. Woods

I have tried finding a decent used recurve, your right, usually they want as much for them as a new one. I'd rather buy a new one and have some kind of warranty. Not interested in the compound, I'ts what I have been using. The biggest problem with it is rusting and having to oil all the moving parts each time I bowfish. Also the recurve I can brake down and travel easliy with it. Thanks

6. FiremanBrad

FiremanBrad New Member

You might try the Martin website, not sure what it is...Cabela's sells some Martins...www.blackwidowbows.com they carry several production recurves also, Martins and others. Good luck!!! Let me know if you need a new string for it, I work cheap!!!

7. Woods

8. FiremanBrad

FiremanBrad New Member

I would say it oughta work for ya...I once pulled back a PSE recurve, at our local store, and the darned thing broke, right at the shelf on the riser!!! I pulled that thing right into, and the top limb smacked me right in the forehead...I always said I shoulda told PSE I wanted a job test firing all thier recurves, but wasn't sure if my head was hard enuff!!!!! So, as you can tell, I'm not a big PSE fan..hehehe...I do know some guys that shoot em though, and they will kill fish, fo sho!!!

9. Woods

I bought a pse nova from Lucky about a year ago. Think i'm going to turn it into a carp killer.

10. FiremanBrad

FiremanBrad New Member

There ya go...it should work just fine!!! Have you used a retriever reel? Best thing goin' in my opinion!!!

11. Woods

The bow I have borrowed for bow fishing in the past was a pse nova with a zebco 808 on it. I'll eventually have a quality recurve setup for bow fishing, after I buy a boat. :D

12. FiremanBrad

FiremanBrad New Member

Yea, I'd like to have a nice boat set up too...Maybe a nice big 18' river john, complete with steering column and livewells....build a big, removable platform up from with lights and trollin motor and a couple of butt seats. Nice quiet Honda generator underneath....maybe I won the powerball last nite...hmmmmmm!!!!