Recipe

Discussion in 'Just Good Food' started by Neil, Feb 25, 2006.

1. Neil

Neil New Member

Jan 21, 2005
    Lee's Summit
    I have 2 backstraps sitting in my freezer. The last ones that I had did not turn out too well when I bbq-ed them. So I would like to know how everyone else cooks them. I would like to get as much of the gamey taste out of them as possible. I don't have a smoker, so that is out of the question. Thanks.

2. Chairman

Chairman Senior Member

Dec 2, 2002
    Henry County
    I'm not a chef, by far, so take this for what it's worth...

Soak the backstraps, to rid the meat of as much blood as possible, changing the water when necessary (you'll know when).

Then soak it in your favorite marinade (my wife uses Italian Dressing) over-night, and you're good to go.

That should take care of the gamey-taste.

The rest (grilling; bar-b-q) is up to you...

3. Crappie

Crappie Slab Master

I'm the same way. I'll put in bowl in sink and let fresh water run over it until all blood is gone. I'm a deep fry man. PossumJoe showed me the double dip method. Cut thin dip in milk/egg roll in seasoned flour dip in cool water and then back into the flour again, its kinda messy looking but tis great. With one heck of a crust. Fry fast soon as it floats pull it out. Awesome stuff>>>>>>

4. rat

rat Legbone

Dec 13, 2005
    If your grilling, just dont dont dont cook it too long.. all I can say.

Crappie... I live frying it too.. awsome stuff and even my wife likes!

5. Chase635

Chase635 New Member

Feb 16, 2005
    when BBQ-ing dont cook it to fast!

6. Cburrows_tx

Cburrows_tx New Member

Nov 24, 2004
    Lamar Co. Texas
    Soaking it in milk will really pull the gamey taste out as well.

7. Fla_Guy

Fla_Guy Active Member

Dec 13, 2005
    NC
    I like brining. For backstraps, just do a simple saltwater brine (the sky is the limit - you can add herbs, peppercorns, honey, sugar, etc.) Use about a cup of kosher salt to a gallon of water. Make sure the salt is good and dissolved, and soak the meat in the ice cold brine for 12 hours. It will pull all blood and game taste out and make for real tender tenderloins (like they need help :))

Then marinade or rub as you like, and grill gently to medium!!

8. Crappie

Crappie Slab Master

9. I just soak mine good in salt water and then take a bowl of flower and mix in salt pepper garlic salt and lemmon pepper. I take the meat and roll it straight in the seasoned flour and then fry it slow in a skilet and keep the skillet covered.

chad

10. mobiggerbucks

mobiggerbucks New Member

Jul 21, 2005
    lake of the ozarks
    Be sure and remove ALL of the fat . That stuff is horrible .

If you are going to cook it " well done" then you will need all the maranading and enjecting you can get . For me and my bunch . Just wrap it in bacon and grill it on a very hot grill . It should be seared on the outside and red on the inside . What other people call " gammy" we call delicious .
    Pardon the pun , but I guess , it is a matter of taste .

11. beanpile

beanpile just a no body

preach it Mobiggie

medium well -well done venison is shoe leather. If you cant stand red in your venison put it in a crock potor fry it. I dont "soak " mine in anything..put some pepper on it wrap it in bacn & have at it.. just like mentioned previously

Woman break out a back strap!! I'm hungry for one now:cheers::dancin:

12. Mailman

Mailman Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2005
    Blue Springs Mo
    I put mine in a bowl of water and put it in the fridge for two days draining it twice a day and ad fresh water. The third day I replace the water with milk. The key to the gamey taste is getting rid of the blood. The only way my wife will eat deer meat other than burger is to cube it into 1 1/2 inch cubes and wrap in bacon. Great on the grill or if to cold outside use a cookie sheet in the oven. I coat my half of the serving with Sweet Baby Rays BBQ sauce but leave the wifes plain. Great either way.

13. Chairman

Chairman Senior Member

Dec 2, 2002
    Henry County
    That's it ~ I'm heading to the freezer, and gonna grab me sum backstrap.

It's what's for dinner... :D

14. rat

rat Legbone

Dec 13, 2005
    I posted this the other night, but I guess to re-iterate the point, see pic below.

15. Mailman

Mailman Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2005
    Blue Springs Mo
    That settles it.......Digging into the freezer right now and firing up the grill for tonights dinner.

16. Bronco Brian

Bronco Brian New Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Georgetown, MN
    Backstraps are meant to ate right away-I dont like to freeze mine, If I do they are vac packed. I think that somehow the blood gets rancid or something in the freezer when exposed to oxygen?

17. rat

rat Legbone

Dec 13, 2005
    Vac pac all the way, I agree.

18. shortmag

shortmag New Member

Feb 22, 2006
    The blood factor is 100% the ticket. The most important aspect beyond that is not overcooking the strap. It is a very tender cut of meat as we all know, the worst thing you can do is allow the meat to start to dry to an extint that it begins to toughen. When that happens the flavor is lost. Rat's photo is about perfect.

I'm still salavating from the other night. You have to tell me Rat are those potatoes cooked or were you just kicking a man when he was down? lol

19. rat

rat Legbone

Dec 13, 2005
    Naw... I just threw the taters in the photo so those strappers didnt look so lonely.

I did cook and smash some new potatoes that night though with a bit of butter and sour cream and also fresh greenbeans. I dont miss too many meals! My wife works late on thursdays so she has been calling it "deer meat thursdays" lol. :cheers:

20. Neil

Neil New Member

Jan 21, 2005
    Lee's Summit
    I tried the pan frying method last night. It was great. I soked it in water all day, changing it several times. Then sliced it up, dipped it in egg, then seasoned flour, then into the frying pan. Now the second strap is still in water, I have to pick a second recipe to try. I thought there was only one strap per package since I got 2 packs of straps, but there are 2 in each package. The processor must have given me someone else's backstraps by accident. Sucks for them, but lucky me.