Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
81 - 91 of 91 Posts

· Registered
9,785 Posts
There are a lot who feel this way, no doubt. Honestly there is a broad spectrum of hunters here in MO. Most who participate in archery season, are dedicated deer hunters, Rifle season you will have those dedicated deer hunters, guys who just want to be at camp, and those who just want to kill a deer, any deer. While at a base level I agree with 20's sentiments on deer hunting..... I just don't feel it's very realistic. Because, there are more than just the dedicated deer hunters to make happy. So, while I would actually support some of the changes he has proposed, I just don't see it happening, because I firmly believe MDC deer regs are more about population control, than enything else. Keeping the population in check is their no1 goal..... it is, what it is. And, you know what... Mo does have some seriously good deer hunting, and you can do things on the place you hunt, to make it what you want if you make a serious effort.... IMHO :D
Yeah nobody is saying things couldn’t help just that the MDC prolly doesn’t care what a few people think they are trying to keep majority of deer hunters,the public,farmers,and insurance companies,etc etc happy. I wish we could make Missouri like one big managed hunting lease,but not happening lol

· Super Moderator
28,594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #82 ·
Yeah nobody is saying things couldn’t help just that the MDC prolly doesn’t care what a few people think they are trying to keep majority of deer hunters,the public,farmers,and insurance companies,etc etc happy. I wish we could make Missouri like one big managed hunting lease, but not happening lol
It is way more than a few people! MDC probably thinks there are more people than there really are that care is the season was moved back a week. Most firearms hunters I know that are not archery hunters could give a rats behind if the season were knocked back a week or two. How is when I talk to ANY deer hunter from any other MW state they chuckle and mention rifle our long rifle season smack dab in the peak of the rut, many go onto say that your MDC and hunters must hate the deer and hunting quality deer! I just say nah, Missouri MDC is simply the best and everyone else has it wrong!

· Registered
9,785 Posts
It is way more than a few people! MDC probably thinks there are more people than there really are that care is the season was moved back a week. Most firearms hunters I know that are not archery hunters could give a rats behind if the season were knocked back a week or two. How is when I talk to ANY deer hunter from any other MW state they chuckle and mention rifle our long rifle season smack dab in the peak of the rut, many go onto say that your MDC and hunters must hate the deer and hunting quality deer! I just say nah, Missouri MDC is simply the best and everyone else has it wrong!
Just moving rifle back a few weeks isn’t going to do much of anything that’s why they prolly don’t want to do it. Because what they know is probably that if you do that you really need to go to a shotgun season or something to that effect to really gain any real benefit. Most people are scared of change cause we see it all too often from the government. You give an inch that inch usually ends up being a mile. If you stand your ground then you don’t lose any freedoms. That’s why people are scared of change cause usually the government will end up screwing you

· Super Moderator
28,594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #84 ·
Just moving rifle back a few weeks isn’t going to do much of anything that’s why they prolly don’t want to do it. Because what they know is probably that if you do that you really need to go to a shotgun season or something to that effect to really gain any real benefit. Most people are scared of change cause we see it all too often from the government. You give an inch that inch usually ends up being a mile. If you stand your ground then you don’t lose any freedoms. That’s why people are scared of change cause usually the government will end up screwing you
ah, but, but the almighty MDC is revered and surely would always do what is best for the resource, said no one ever.

· Registered
13 Posts
I am a NR hunter and I own a farm in northern Missouri. I wouldn't be upset and would completely understand if they made it harder for NR to not allow same rules as a resident. I get it, it's your state and your taxes even though I pay taxes as well, I dont live there, y'all do. If they told me I could only kill one buck I would completely understand. I also hunt Ohio yearly and it is a one buck state, I can tell you from experience of 12 plus years in Ohio, the one buck rule makes a absolutely no doubt difference. I live in Michigan. The deer in Ohio are tanks, and I'm not just saying that to sound like I know more than you. The age structure in Ohio is incredible. I wouldn't even be upset if they started making me earn preference points like Iowa, I bet most guys would be fine with it. Have a great evening.

· Super Moderator
28,594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #89 ·
I am a NR hunter and I own a farm in northern Missouri. I wouldn't be upset and would completely understand if they made it harder for NR to not allow same rules as a resident. I get it, it's your state and your taxes even though I pay taxes as well, I dont live there, y'all do. If they told me I could only kill one buck I would completely understand. I also hunt Ohio yearly and it is a one buck state, I can tell you from experience of 12 plus years in Ohio, the one buck rule makes a absolutely no doubt difference. I live in Michigan. The deer in Ohio are tanks, and I'm not just saying that to sound like I know more than you. The age structure in Ohio is incredible. I wouldn't even be upset if they started making me earn preference points like Iowa, I bet most guys would be fine with it. Have a great evening.
Do you think the firearms season placement has a little to do with Ohio’s incredible age structure? Or, do they have an 11 day season in early to mid November?

· Registered
13 Posts
Do you think the firearms season placement has a little to do with Ohio’s incredible age structure? Or, do they have an 11 day season in early to mid November?
Yes indeed I do believe that and see it with my own eyes, they really have a great set up for growing older deer structure. They commence on the Monday after Thanksgiving, I have participated in several Ohio rifle openers and it is not easy hunting. Very little to no buck sightings in several years on prime deer ground outside of the Columbus area. Archery season is absolutely fantastic but that secrets been out of the bag for several years now. As I stated, in Michigan we also hunt right in the smack of the breeding phase, I cannot stand it. My wife and I will retire in Missouri in approximately 9 years, we bought our Missouri farm there about a year ago, cannot wait to leave Michigan lefty politics and the deer hunting is less than desirable.

· Registered
9,785 Posts
Yes indeed I do believe that and see it with my own eyes, they really have a great set up for growing older deer structure. They commence on the Monday after Thanksgiving, I have participated in several Ohio rifle openers and it is not easy hunting. Very little to no buck sightings in several years on prime deer ground outside of the Columbus area. Archery season is absolutely fantastic but that secrets been out of the bag for several years now. As I stated, in Michigan we also hunt right in the smack of the breeding phase, I cannot stand it. My wife and I will retire in Missouri in approximately 9 years, we bought our Missouri farm there about a year ago, cannot wait to leave Michigan lefty politics and the deer hunting is less than desirable.
Sounds like Ohio opener isn’t as fun as Missouri rifle season. You obviously enjoy Missouri as you are moving here so the Missouri season must have its appeal. If they ever went to a one buck rule I don’t think people will be dying to also change the dates of the season so their hunting is worse to boot. Missouri is somewhere between decent hunting and really good bow hunting,it’s in the middle of that in an area of hunting experience where it’s not the best for anything but it’s pretty good for everything when it comes to deer hunting. I think that is why it is setup the way it is,every kind of hunter should be able to enjoy hunting. Some areas better than others but that’s hunting anywhere not all areas are created equal

81 - 91 of 91 Posts