Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 20 of 91 Posts

· Super Moderator
28,539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It has likely been the best late season action I have ever had, but the end result is still squat!

I crowded a well know bedding area (sanctuary) that I believe to be unmolested all season, was able to gain access from a different enrty location to minimize my impact. First morning had a big shooter within 50 yards for close to an hour, but as he closed to 35 yards the lanes were just not there. I tried him a couple mornings later and nothing. Set-up about 15 yards further to the North the 3rd sit and I spied him and a couple dinks within about 60-80 yards feeding, he bedded up 40-50 yards and I was able to keep eyes on him for a couple hours and then he got up as did I, but he moved a bit closer to 30 yards and bedded with tons of brush and a big tree between us. Two hours later around 1230 they got up as did I and they feed off, then a dink headed my way into my patch to about 8-10 yards away, I was up and ready, but no signs of the shooter, about 2-3 minutes later here he comes, bad news is the dink has me pegged.....shooter walks right to him, but there is no way to draw without blowing the area and even if I wanted to chance drawing as he approached (knowing the dink would reupt) they stop in 10-20 yards the area is too thick for fast acting holes to shoot through. Shooter calmly walks into thick stuff a few yards away and the dink walks back the way he came and the shooter follows. Good news is the 150 class 10 will be likely be a giant this Fall, assuming he doesn't perish this Winter, get poached, break up, blue tongue, CWD, etc.......hunted a different piece maybe 3/4 mile if that and busted him out with his crew easing in an afternoon sit!!!! Oh well, seemed to learn some things watching him for 5 hours bedded, more related to wind and how they chose their beds and directions they face!!!

Had a recent afternoon sit at a completely different area and sure enough the mini buck parade started about 20 minutes before dark, 2.5, 2.5, 3.5 busted 10 I have had two close encounters with and then here comes a bigger 8 I am thinking it is on.....binos say he is my guy, but I put the binos down and give him the eye test and i decide shooting this 125-130' buck would just be selfish, and as he walks through my 3rd window at 20 yards I spy more movement and I am like yes here we go.....well not so fast, another damn 2.5 yo buck!!!! Solid sit anytime, but really good for the last couple days of the season!

This afternoon is not happening for me, so I am down to the final two days to get it done....I have a feeling some does are going to get the business!

Good luck to anyone getting out!

I only slightly wish there was more time, but there isn't!

· Máistir an pointe hocht.
75,067 Posts
A 150" class 10 point can't become a booner if you kill him when he's a 150" Class 10 pt.
For years on here, you have lamented not having a booner. If that is truly your goal, you have got to pass on 150" deer, unless you just "luck" into one.

I personally, have no desire to ever pass on a 150" and will leave the booner to dumb luck some day. :D

75,067 Posts
This especially true for a 150" deer that has lasted until Jan13 without getting itself killed....

He just might be the buck of your dreams, but not this year. :D

· Super Moderator
28,539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
A 150" class 10 point can't become a booner if you kill him when he's a 150" Class 10 pt.
For years on here, you have lamented not having a booner. If that is truly your goal, you have got to pass on 150" deer, unless you just "luck" into one.

I personally, have no desire to ever pass on a 150" and will leave the booner to dumb luck some day. :D
I passed him:rolleyes:

You honestly don't think I understand what he would likely grow to next year???? Some of you cannot comprehend (and try and deflect/slander ;)) that l want more MATURE bucks for EVERYONE to HUNT, period! The byproduct of having more mature bucks in the Missouri woods...sure,would be more booners, but more magnum, TOP END studs, like 200+ - 230" inch deer.

· Super Moderator
28,539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
This especially true for a 150" deer that has lasted until Jan13 without getting itself killed....

He just might be the buck of your dreams, but not this year. :D
He won't be the buck of my dreams next year either (but he would certainly be awesome and likely be 168ish), although he would be my biggest!!!! But this year or next he would be one I would be extremely happy to give a truck ride! I am not hunting Drury controlled type ground, nor are most deer hunters in North America. Maybe I am wrong, maybe deer hunters don't like the idea of having more top end or even world class deer around and are just happy killing a forky and never think anything bigger is possible.

75,067 Posts
My comment was meant to be construtive criticism, and provide to you and example how all of us as hunters can make the hunting better all on our own, I don't need MDC to mandate what everyone else does, when the best thing I can do, is take care of my own business. :D

If the 150" had presented a shot, would you have taken it?

· Super Moderator
28,539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My comment was meant to be construtive criticism, and provide to you and example how all of us as hunters can make the hunting better all on our own, I don't need MDC to mandate what everyone else does, when the best thing I can do, is take care of my own business. :D

If the 150" had presented a shot, would you have taken it?
100% I was going to shoot him and zero qualms about it!!! The fact he left unscathed bothers me a little, but not too bad since he only needs to survive 1 week from that encounter. 4.5 yo+ bucks are a go for me every time, unless I have pictures of a hammer.

MDC already mandates everything we do as hunters, a little better byproduct or effort with their season decisions is all many would like to see! Unlike the MDC, many hunters don't consider a 2.5 yo mature, but many firearms hunters consider it a trophy, especially those NR from the southern states!

I will give the MDC credit, when they okie doked archery hunters eliminating a 3rd any deer possibily, they knew what they were doing when including crossbows for any able-bodied hack,! Although, for the best :ROFLMAO: conservation organization in the country, they were not upfront and honest with the why!

75,067 Posts
Just saying Bob, if you truly want to kill a 170" plus buck some day, you have to let a deer like that walk.

Ya, you might get lucky and encounter one while still killing 130-150" every chance you get, but it's a lot more likely if you let the bucks with the potential to reach 170" walk.

I am in no way preaching this to anyone. I personally will be happy with every buck I ever kill that is in the 130-150" class, but I also do not bemoan the fact I have never killed a 170" buck. If it happens, great I'll be happy. If it doesn't happen, I'll still be happy. With the regs in place today, we have plenty of opportunity to kill bucks like that. changing a bunch of regs in hopes of marginally increasing the odds of a 170" don't make sense to me, when the best thing I can do, if I really want that, is to lay off the 130-150" deers. IMHO. Take it for what it's worth, I get your passion, I just think it's a wee bit misdirected.... one again, IMHO.

Best of luck got 2 more days to get it done. I have yet to kill a whitteee this year, that hasn't happened since the 1990's.... :D But, still happy, as I saw my wife have a banner season. :D

Reactions: 20'

· Super Moderator
28,539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
again, there aren't a bunch of regs that need to be changed!

The point of this post was not further share my disdain for the spinless and seemingly incompetent MDC decision makers!

It was to merely to share that deer are moving during daylight.

· Registered
3,677 Posts
"able bodied hack".....is there any other ethical and legal ways to hunt you want to gripe about or people you'd like to insult?

I mean, as long as you're on your high horse, might as well go for the long haul.

· Super Moderator
28,539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
"able bodied hack".....is there any other ethical and legal ways to hunt you want to gripe about or people you'd like to insult?

I mean, as long as you're on your high horse, might as well go for the long haul.
nope, IMO (and I said IMO) crossbows are as etchical for archery as ARs are for traditional season!

Just in case you missed it over the years.....I was against full inclusion, supported an age to for crossbow inclusion - pick and age for crossbow use during archery 55-60???? bodies wear out and I have NEVER suggested anyone not be allowed to participate in archery, as the MDC allowed medical releases! I even supported them after firearms for everyone!

If I live long enough there will be a time when I need a crossbow during archery, but it certainly won't be because I was too much of a hack to participate because it was too difficult to actually use a bow!

I would also support a traditional archery season, be great Sept 1-15th!!!!

Don't be so sensitive Steelman:)

· Registered
3,677 Posts
So, my son has harvested 3 deer in the last two years, 2 doe last year and this year a 10pt buck, using his AR-10 in .308 that he built himself, with a 5 shot magazine all with 1 shot each. He is rightfully proud of himself and I'm proud of him too. I'd say one shot kills are pretty ethical.
I'm curious, what do you find unethical about this?

What's the difference between a semi-automatic AR rifle and a semi-auto hunting rifle? The actions are the same.

You're right you will need to use a crossbow someday, I'm living proof. IMO

Don't be such an a--hat 20':)

· Super Moderator
28,539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
So, my son has harvested 3 deer in the last two years, 2 doe last year and this year a 10pt buck, using his AR-10 in .308 that he built himself, with a 5 shot magazine all with 1 shot each. He is rightfully proud of himself and I'm proud of him too. I'd say one shot kills are pretty ethical.
I'm curious, what do you find unethical about this?

What's the difference between a semi-automatic AR rifle and a semi-auto hunting rifle? The actions are the same.

You're right you will need to use a crossbow someday, I'm living proof. IMO

Don't be such an a--hat 20':)
that is awesome, he built it and used it to kill the deer!!!!!!!!! The ARs in traditions is silly

· Registered
3,677 Posts
Are you talking about the alternative methods season? I don't have an issue with folks using a single shot pistol like a Contender, as long as they don't have a problem with me using my .44 Rem Mag Blackhawk. :LOL:

6,956 Posts
want more MATURE bucks for EVERYONE to HUNT, period! The byproduct of having more mature bucks in the Missouri woods...sure,would be more booners, but more magnum, TOP END studs, like 200+ - 230" inch deer.
Y’all need to read this till it soaks in. Be a lot more big bucks in the MWT deer contest

· Registered
64 Posts
Are you talking about the alternative methods season? I don't have an issue with folks using a single shot pistol like a Contender, as long as they don't have a problem with me using my .44 Rem Mag Blackhawk. :LOL:
The AR’s that have the pistol brace that you can put up to your shoulder and fire like a rifle during “alternative” methods season are legal and they are what I have an issue with. Muzzleloaders are what the season was designed for. Next thing you know slug guns will be added to it.

1 - 20 of 91 Posts