Rebel's First track

Discussion in 'Blood Trailing.....OPT IN>>>>>>>' started by Army SGM, Sep 17, 2015.

1. Army SGM

Army SGM Mid-Missouri Gun Dogs

Jan 5, 2013
    Auxvasse, MO
    Got a call yesterday morning from a hunter who had shot a deer around 7:25 AM. After questioning him about the location of the shot, such as impact point, trajectory from stand, amount of blood, quality and quantity of blood, and deer actions after being hit, I told him I would come out but it would be after work.

The temperature of the day and the heat were not exactly favorable conditions for tracking. We finally got to the location and started about 5:30 PM, 10 hours after the shot.

We tracked/searched for approximately 5 hours with no success. At times Rebel was on the track verified by blood spots but other times she would appear to be on the track but would venture off and we would have to go back to the last blood spot and restart. It was evident that after the sun went down and the humidity and moisture levels came up, she was more consistent and the blood was easier to spot by flashlight. In hindsight, I believe I should have just waited another couple of hours until dark to start. The lack of visibility would have been offset by the improved conditions and been easier on the dog and handler.

The last blood was found 600 yards from where the shot was taken. There was no clear bedding area where the deer had stopped, and even though the blood was consistent, it did not appear to be sufficient to cause death.

All in all it was a good training opportunity. We all concluded the deer survived and not recoverable so I do not look at it as a failed attempt. It gave me and my dog a good opportunity to track real world. I believe if the shot would have been more lethal and the deer had expired, it would have found without a tracking dog. Rebel got some work, but most of the tracking was done/verified by sight.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2015
  2. doctorbrady

doctorbrady Doctorbrady

Oct 21, 2013
    SW MO
    Good job guys! Tell us more about the shot. I think your lessons learned were good ones. Cooler, higher humidity comditions will greatly improve a dogs ability to pick up faint scent even if it is hours older. Early mornings are typically best in my experience. All of us are anxious to get our new dogs on real tracks, however, use some caution on which tracks to take your first year. I have made the mistakes of taking a lot of long shot tracks during a dogs first season thinking any track is better than no tracks. Unfortunately, I think it confused the dog and lowered enthusiasm to track after many unsuccessful tracks with no deer at the end. Now I try to limit tracks to "reasonable" possibility recoveries based on pretty extensive interviews.

3. Vector

Vector VECtor Custom Calls

Feb 11, 2003
    N/C MO
    Having the patience to go back to that last visible blood to start over is the biggest part of the game. Its awesome to watch a dog just 100 percent knock out a gut shot trail, but its even sweeter when its a REALLY tough one for both you and the dog, and it still pans out.

Think about what additional questions you can ask the next person that calls from what you learned on this track.

4. Army SGM

Army SGM Mid-Missouri Gun Dogs

Jan 5, 2013
    Auxvasse, MO
    Going into it, I did believe this was a recoverable deer. The shot was from within 30 yards from a height of ~15'. The hunter believed the shot was behind the crease but low. The hunter did not believe, nor did it appear that the shot was back in the abdominal area. He believed it penetrated through the deer leaving an entrance and exit would. This appeared to be confirmed by the arrow. All three fletching (white and blue) had blood on them. The blade used was a Rage (2 inch I believe.) I believe this was also confirmed by blood on the track. There was a spot on the trail 150 yards from the shot where it appeared the deer had stood for a short period of time leaving two distinct blood spots of 3"-4" about 8"-10" apart. We believed this was evidence of an entrance and an exit would. After this spot blood was found about once every 4'-6' for another 400-450 yards until we called off the search.

5. doctorbrady

doctorbrady Doctorbrady

Oct 21, 2013
    SW MO
    Good for making that much progress!