Rebel's first Droptine buck

Discussion in 'Blood Trailing.....OPT IN>>>>>>>' started by Army SGM, Oct 30, 2016.

1. Army SGM

Army SGM Mid-Missouri Gun Dogs

Jan 5, 2013
    Auxvasse, MO
    This deer was a hawg. He was gut shot and got to see him up close and personal at <10 yards when he got up and trotted off after we found him bedded down 20 hours after he was shot. Went back out the next day and helped the hunter find him.

Attached Files:

2. beanpile

beanpile just a no body

Rebel is getting quite the resume. Congrats to the hunter.. thats a very impressive animal and of course congrats to Rebel and you too SGM for facilitating another happy ending.

3. killmode

killmode Deplorable member

Great that you were able to get it done:eek::

4. venatic

venatic ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Glad he was able to track him. Nice looking buck!

5. Deeraholic

Deeraholic Great White Buffalo @*%!

Good work Reb & company!

Pay attention folks.....this joker was still alive 20 hours after being gut shot!

Can you give us details on the track job, where exactly the deer was hit, and how far he traveled?

6. Army SGM

Army SGM Mid-Missouri Gun Dogs

Jan 5, 2013
    Auxvasse, MO
    Yeah and Rebel didn't want anything to do with this big guy when we jumped him. She took a decent size 8-point down by the throat last week (the one in my avatar), but she just looked at this guy as he trotted away. Could have been a scary situation if he turned on us since MO stupid tracking laws don't allow for carrying a weapon even for self defense.

You can see the entrance wound above the hunters knee in the top pic. Only went about 150 yards after shot and bedded right next to water. Was there 20 hours later. We found at least 3 beds with blood within a 10 yard area. Thinking he periodically got up to drink and then bedded right back down.

After we pushed him he went another 300 yards, a lot of it was uphill and he was found about 40 hours after shot on a hill about 75 yards above a large pond. He probably died around 24-30 hours after the shot. He was pretty ripe when we found him so he had been laying out in the heat for 10-12 hours.

Lesson: A gut shot deer is going to die, but it will take a while. If it happens, they will not go far if you do not push them, but it may take a long time for them to become septic and die. If you push them adrenaline will override the pain and they may run a ways.

7. DonJuan

DonJuan Well-Known Member

Jan 30, 2012
    S.E. Mo.
    Awesome, when my kids are grown I'd like to find a good dog to work with. Very informative info you can pass along as you continue your and rebels experiences

8. doepee

doepee Senior Member

Sep 17, 2004
    STL

Thanks for the details! We can all learn a ton from the experience you gain on these tracking jobs.

9. 421sd

421sd Part-time malcontent

Dec 23, 2012
    Ozarks Plateau
    I'm mildly confused here......is Rebel the tracking dog and not the hunter?

10. beanpile

beanpile just a no body

Rebel is the dog