Rattling

Discussion in '2011 Whitetail General' started by doedumatch, Oct 29, 2010.

1. doedumatch

doedumatch New Member

Sep 13, 2009
    Washington
    Do you think it's too early to rattle???

2. Meller

Meller Well-Known Member

Sep 5, 2008
    nope, heard 2 little ones fighting last week

3. doepee

doepee Senior Member

Sep 17, 2004
    STL
    i have had 3 different ones come into rattling this week.

4. KCCyclone

KCCyclone New Member

Dec 7, 2006
    KCMO
    We've been rattling for nearly two weeks now! We rattled in a KS giant last weekend (shot at 10 yards) with this own sheds. Last night I had a fight going on about 100 yards south of me and rattled in another good buck right at last light but hung up and never got a good look to see if he was a shooter or not. We've started to rattle every 20 - 30 minutes and will be banging them together hard and often this weekend! :cheers:

5. Hayzer

Hayzer New Member

6. ckbuck

ckbuck New Member

Feb 24, 2010
    How do you go about rattling? How long?

7. Gutpile

Gutpile Cooler Semi-Elitist

Aug 22, 2003
    St. Charles
    This is primetime until 2nd weekend of gun season IMHO.

If on the ground I usually rattle while rustling leaves and makign a ruckus. In the stand I like to do some grunting, snort wheezing, and then start slow and build up to a finale. I also follow up with some grunting. Somethign along those lines.

8. KCCyclone

KCCyclone New Member

Dec 7, 2006
    KCMO
    [rquote=1869665&tid=130149&author=ckbuck]How do you go about rattling? How long?[/rquote]

I think everyone does it differently, but if I'm able to move around a little bit, I like to rattle with decent sized sheds and rake the tree/branches as I'm rattling. If you're on the ground, this is much easier. I like to throw in a couple of grunts while rattling as well. Knight and Hale makes a great tool called a Pack Rack. Very small and compact and sounds great! During this time of year, I'll rattle for 30 - 60 seconds, break for a minute or two, hit them again, break, rattle again.

Some people like to tie sheds to a rope, lay them on the ground while you're up in the tree, and pull the rope up and down so that antler hit eachother and also stir up the leaves.

9. rybec2

rybec2 New Member

Oct 15, 2009
    Give it a try..

10. Curtis

Curtis Active Member

The only thing I've ever done rattling was scare deer away :thinking::pop: