Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
21,514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was talking with the so called experts on it.Asked them if they Blind Rattled? They said no,they have to see the Deer upwind from them before they will,because they say you will get busted everytime.

What is you Guys take on this,I have Blind Rattled and have been busted,but it has worked too.

oneshot
:D The Big Grin gets so excited his teeth Rattle.

·
Cooler Semi-Elitist
4,897 Posts
I have blind rattled before and drew in a real nice buck that my buddy shot. I will rattle in both situations, and I have had luck in both.

This past year I rattled trying to bring buck back that moved out of sight as he followed a doe, and instead of bringing him back I had another buck come in from another direction. Its the one in my avatar.

I love to rattle I have brought in deer that were unseen prior to the rattling, and have brought in bucks that I had already seen that were heading off in another directions.

Plus it breaks up the monotony of a slow morning or afternoon and those few minutes after I am done rattling my senses are especially alert.

GP

·
Registered
640 Posts
I haven't had much luck rattling...it has only worked maybe a couple of times, but I do believe that in certain areas it can work great. I'm just not in those areas.

As far as blind rattling goes, how does the deer know whether or not you can see it? :D

I say your chances of getting busted are bout the same either way.

·
SuperSenior Member
984 Posts
The only time that I have ever had results (that I could see or hear)

Was last year in NE Callaway county I rattled at Noon and heard what sounded like a bus crashing down the hill across the creek bottom only to stop before I ever got a glimpse of him.

I think that our buck to doe ration in MO is too out of whack to see any thing like you see on the videos.

·
Registered
2,780 Posts
I check the wind direction before I hunt and pick a stand placement that gives me the best chance of staying downwind. If my plan comes together, I will get a shot at a more relaxed animal. If I see a deer that’s not going to come within bow range, I’ll rattle, grunt or doe bleat in hopes to “bring him in.†I have shot deer this way, but, some deer will circle downwind and bust you. I found it can be harder to draw your bow if the deer are looking for the other deer; Just my two cents.

·
2,157 Posts
if you want to see what some of your local young bucks look like, then rattle early season but do it very lightly. Simulate two buck "feeling" each other out. Just light tinkling.

I have on film several little bucks I rattled up doing just that. Now once we get closer to "show time" its time to start the heavier sequences. I absolutely believe in rattling, but I also agree with the doe to buck ratio problem therefore I think it explains the 10% success.

In my opinion, the can, and light grunting works best during the chase pase and the peak of the rut.

·
Registered
754 Posts
I never saw these three before rattling and grunting them in for a shot, but I was confident they were in the immediate area.

·
Under appreciated
91,780 Posts
It may be just me but regarding hunting shows and rattling, I think I see lotsa folks down in texas rattling for those goat-sized deer.

Any rhyme or reason to that or is it just me?

·
Registered
18,764 Posts
I'm a big fan of rattling and calling.

Alot of it has to do with the deer herd in your area like was mentioned above...but rattling will work anywhere. I personally think a lot of guys don't have success calling because they are either trying in the wrong type of situation, or they just think if they smack some horns together the deer will come. Just from my personal experience...there are definately certain times and certain ways of rattling that tend to be much more productive than others.
It may not work more often than it does work...but that one time that it does makes all the other tries worthwhile!

·
Registered
405 Posts
I feel that rattling can work anytime from the time the bucks start to clean there antlers, I hunt public land almost all the time and grunt and rattle everytime I,m out there, If I do not see a deer at one spot I'll move to another, its hard hunting and you get to see alot of country but I like it and it's alot of fun, I see a nuff deer to keep me happy and my stand sights are always brand new, anyway theres my 2 cents:wave:

·
Registered
38,393 Posts
I never leave home without my rattlin horns, and grunt tube....like said above, might not work everytime, but that one time it does work makes it all worthwhile!!!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.