Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
18,520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the December issue of the Missouri Conservationist, it lists a hybrid oak on page 11. The Concodia Parks and Recreation, at 660-463-4277 will hopefully have 25,000 seedlings available in 2010. The tree is a 3-way cross, swamp white oak, chinkapin oak and dwarf chinquapin oak!!! They say that the tree can produce acorns in 3-5 years!!! The story states to just call that number, which I did, and they put me on the list and can send a pdf file on the tree to your email....still waiting for it to come to my email so if anyone else gets it post it up!!! I just called them at 7:30 and there was still someone there to get the info.

The tree naturally only occurs in Lafayette County. :cheers:

Here is the PDF file on the tree. Interesting to say the least!!!

Concordia Oak

The population—which is now known as the Concordia Oak—is located approximately one mile west of Concordia, MO near the north rest area off
I-70, at mile marker 57.6. Samples of the one-of-a kind oak tree population have been put on display at the worldrenowned, National Arboretum
in Washington, DC.

The Concordia Oak is among the nation’s rarest trees. It was
discovered by Paul Thompson in 1974 aiding him in earning a
doctorate degree. As a long-time botanist, Thomas was working on a study of chinquapin oaks and was intrigued when he saw these unusual looking oaks. Thompson made his accidental discovery when his vacationing family stopped at the I-70 rest area just west of Concordia,
Missouri. Thomson’s study of the unusual hybrid was a lengthy process comparing samples of the new oak to more than 10,000 oak
tree specimens from the Missouri Botanical Gardens and universities across the nation. The tree’s scientific name is “Quercus X introgressa†and its common Concordia Oak comes from its proximity to Concordia.
The stand of original parent trees numbered just 13 specimens and is only known to occur in Lafayette County. This unlikely 3-way hybrid took many generations to form and has not been reported from anywhere else in the
world.
Highly Desirable Tree
Concordia residents familiar with this extraordinary tree can attest to its pleasing shape, wonderful shade and distinctive leaf formation. It is also known as a quick growing tree with a remarkable reputation for ruggedness. In late January of 2002 Concordia suffered the impact of an ice storm striking a large area of the state. The Concordia Oak (seen left in the photo below) weathered mother nature’s fury quite well while other species suffered significant damage.

Friends of the
Concordia Oak
With such a small population of extremely rare trees, concerned area residents took action. Marvin Petersen began growing Concordia Oaks on his property west of town. The importance of this action became
evident when expansion of the rest area inadvertently destroyed much of the
original population. Mr. Petersen, responsible for much of the drive to spread knowledge and preserve this unique tree, was joined by additional area residents who take great pride in this effort. Concordia Oaks now grow in Concordia public parks and additional towns in the area. They have been transplanted to memorialize Korean War veterans and as the
official tree of the Missouri State Fair Centennial
in Sedalia, Missouri.

·
Registered
18,520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I just heard that they have some acorns available now....still waiting for conformation from the staff though. I would prefer the acorns over the seedlings anyways. :cheers:

·
Máistir an pointe hocht.
69,865 Posts
I read the article on this in the Conservationist magazine this month... Said something about saplings be available in a couple a years if I remember right....:thinking:

·
Confirmed Bachelor
10,482 Posts
Yeah, I saw that also. He was driving down I-70 at Concordia and noticed it from the highway.

That is pretty cool!!!!

·
Máistir an pointe hocht.
69,865 Posts
Originally posted by letemgrow
I just called them again and they will send you out 6 acorns free now!!! :woot::woot:

This is better than christmas presents!!! :wave:
Hopefully, the squirrels don't dig em up, and eat them.....:sniper:

·
Chiefs FANatic
10,799 Posts
just got 6 myself!! Thanks for the info!!

He said he has gotten serveral calls too. :claphands:

reccomended 6 inch pot to get em started this spring!!

·
Registered
18,520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Originally posted by callaojoe
Originally posted by letemgrow
I just called them again and they will send you out 6 acorns free now!!! :woot::woot:

This is better than christmas presents!!! :wave:
Hopefully, the squirrels don't dig em up, and eat them.....:sniper:
that's why I use 12 inch plastic tree tubes and bury them 3 inches in the ground with a good stake. so far this fall I have planted well over a 100 acorns from various trees and not a single one has been taken. :cheers:

·
Registered
18,520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Originally posted by racks-n-beards
just got 6 myself!! Thanks for the info!!

He said he has gotten serveral calls too. :claphands:

reccomended 6 inch pot to get em started this spring!!
I just wonder how it will work with them being white oaks they should have already started to germinate this fall when they dropped. :confused:

So I hope they are in damp peat and I will just put them in the fridge till springtime.

·
Registered
1,773 Posts
My in-law's farm is only a couple miles from the rest stop. Maybe after the Christmas dinner I can duck out of the "festivities" and go find the tree. :whistle:

·
Registered
18,520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Originally posted by Redonthehead
My in-law's farm is only a couple miles from the rest stop. Maybe after the Christmas dinner I can duck out of the "festivities" and go find the tree. :whistle:
that would be sweet!! They give pretty specific directions as to where the trees are. :cheers:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts