Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
just a no body
15,873 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been looking at finally getting my rangfinder. It'll be a Buschnell from the Factory Outlet there in Lees Summit. but I called last night to make sure they have some availabe & they got loads,, So I tell him I want one that will read a "soft" target i.e Elk, Deer & possible smaller targets. He said that I would want the "scout" its easier to hold it the hands due to its smaller etc etc. But then he mentioned something about how the "beam" measures differently if you say hitting a reflective target or a "soft" target ..ok I get thats .. but what I guess I'm asking is.. at 400 yrds +/- will it read the same for a yote or ground hog as it will for a deer or elk or even a bail of hay?..and if not why not.

I was just looking in my cabelas catalog & I see that ther is a $50 rebate for the models that I'm considering which would make the cost identicle to the Factory outlet price......interesting

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
I think the reflective target he is talking about is a very large target and you would have a hard time ranging a ground hog @ 400 yds with the Scout.

The question you need to ask him is how big the beam divergence (width of the laser beam) is at 400 yds. If it is 36" then you won't be able to range anything smaller than that. The less expensive rangefinders beams aren't as concentrated as the expensive rangerfinders like the Leica Geovids. The beam spreads out like a flashlight and some rangefinders have better beam divergence than others.

I am no pro on rangefinders, but have read some good articles in the Varmint Hunter magazine about them. I have also used a Leica Geovid and a lot of others and there is a reason they are soo expensive.

I would do a search on beam divergence of different Bushnell rangefinders, if I were you. If you really want to range distant small targets the beam divergence would be very important.

I hope I helped and didn't confuse you further.

·
just a no body
15,873 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thats what I was wondering ..you explained it perfectly.. I wondered if those Rangfiders sent a lasar type beam or a flashlight beam.. I was hoping the former not the later.

only got $200 +/- I'm willing to spend so I guess I'll get what I can get.

·
1,047 Posts
i have the scout 450 and i really like it, its easy to use out to say 350 is the furthest ive ever used it, and i think i meghan paid $250 or so for it. Basspro is offering the $50 rebate so maybe its anywhere that sells bushnell.

·
just a no body
15,873 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks 10 point for the review..the scout is what I got my eye on too. & yes it does seem like Bushnell is giving the $50 rebate regardless of where you buy it...might need that to keep me in the price range

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.