Quotas

Discussion in 'MWT Community Bulletin Board' started by rat, Mar 24, 2006.

1. rat

rat Legbone

Dec 13, 2005
    At the risk of getting this post pulled, I am gonna speak my mind!

I got the newsletter from my college today and there was a picture of 20 or so MDC wildlife agents on the cover. The college I attended (in the early 80's) had a program that was intended for folks that want to be a conservation agent. Nice mix of biology and criminal justice... I will not mention the school.

Anyway, I graduated with the afformentioned degree with a minor in criminal justice to boot. I struggled to get on with the dept as an agent for bout 6 yrs. In each agent class, about half of what they hired were either women or minorities or both which left ME in the minority. Alls well that ends well I suppose cause that was 20yrs ago.

My gripe is, that on the cover of that newsletter, as I mentioned, there were 20plus conservation agents... NONE of which was either female or of minority status. :mad2::mad2:

What do you think about these dang quotas that eliminate good candidates in favor of folks that dont even hold that job for more that a year or two? :soapbox::soapbox:

2. membergone

membergone New Member

Jan 17, 2004
    What do you think we think rat? ;)

Think also that 20 years ago the department was in catch up mode. They had to get their percentages right which were WAY off up to that point.

3. Keith

Keith New Member

Dec 13, 2002
    Springfield, MO.
    I agree.

4. rat

rat Legbone

Dec 13, 2005
    Problem is that 2/3 folks listed there joined from between 1975 and 1988...

why wouldnt they have a good mixture of folks in that picture if that were really the goal? Where are all the minorities that they hired back then to bolster their ratios?

5. Rebel2

Rebel2 Well-Known Member

Dec 16, 2003
    Ozark, MO
    well, i cant speak my real opinion on it.. but to sum it up, i think its a big load of "stuff" :soapbox:

who freaking cares about a "mixture" you got to hire the best qualified candidate regardless of age, sex, marital status, race etc........................... unless your the govt :peepwall:

6. JarJar

JarJar New Member

Sep 27, 2005
    HERE HERE! Sometimes I think that people get all mixed up in "getting the right ratio" that this point is over looked, which is a shame.

7. Mike911

Mike911 New Member

Apr 21, 2003
    Affirmative action has been proven to not work time after time it never has it never will. In the words of Forrest, Forrest Gump " That's all I have to say about that"

8. JMAC

JMAC Senior Member

Aug 31, 2005
    Cole County
    Right on my brother.

You don't get rid of racism by institutionalizing it.

9. cfdjay

cfdjay New Member

Sep 5, 2004
    Welcome to the world of hiring in the fire service. Right Brad?

10. FiremanBrad

FiremanBrad New Member

No doubt about that!!!!

11. Nicholas

Nicholas New Member

Oct 5, 2005
    Saint Charles, MO
    My father was Filipino, and my mother Puerto Rican, so speaking from a minority point of view; I think Quotas are a bunch of *^#@! If you don't make the grade, you don't make the pay!

12. cfdjay

cfdjay New Member

Sep 5, 2004
    Nicholas, My girlfriend is Latina. She feels the same. :cheers:

13. Marine95

Marine95 New Member

Feb 21, 2006
    Fenton
    White, Black, Green, or Purple the most qualified candidate should get the job. My 2 cents.

14. Outdoorsfool

Outdoorsfool New Member

Jul 14, 2003
    Central Missouri
    Rat - I got that same newsletter! PM your way.

Quotas? We don't need no stinkin' quotas! Unfortunately it seems to have become the American way to require hiring of folks based on gender or race, rather than qualifications.

15. rat

rat Legbone

Dec 13, 2005
    You got it bud... same newsletter.

16. Outdoorsfool

Outdoorsfool New Member

Jul 14, 2003
    Central Missouri
    I think I owe you for some of the drinks you served me....but not sure if I owe you a :cheers: or a :bangin: . :wink4:

17. Gutpile

Gutpile Cooler Semi-Elitist

Aug 22, 2003
    St. Charles
    This topic for most is a slam dunk...IMO its a case of good intentions gone bad. I can't imagine anyone wanting to get a job because of the color of their skin or something other non-skill related reason. I feel sorry for those passed over due due to the fact their a white male.

18. shortmag

shortmag New Member

Feb 22, 2006
    Affirmative action, like most things government involves itself in, was a movement for political control in Washington. If you look at this great country we live in, you will notice that most major legislation is passed immediately prior to or during an election year. The common good of the American people is often overlooked. I do not have a racist bone in my body. I have many friends of different nationalities, color, and religion. I have equal respect for hard working, honest, God fearing people man and woman alike. However, often times in a desperate act for political control and a swing of a demographic vote something like affirmative action is created. Much like most things created for the good of people (e.g. unions) they look great on paper. When put into action they are abused, become over used and do just the opposite as they were intended. Rat I understand you're frustration.

I am certain, based off your postings here and your personality, you would have made just as good or better C.O. than the persons chosen. Big government, and political bureaucracy kept you from fulfilling that dream. The greatest thing that saddens me is the fact I have 4 children who are going to have to deal with even more b.s. than we have had to. That's just my opinion. Right or Wrong.

19. PMan

PMan Retired

Dec 3, 2002
    Shortmag Nailed it to a tee-------

Affirmative Action hit real hard in the early 70's------Lots of folks were hired for jobs that they didnt earn nor were they qualified for them . This was due to their race ONLY---at least the actions that I had first hand experiance with were. Hire the minorities or loose your federal monies-----simple as that. :stickfight:

The bottom line to it all was it did an injustice to lots of people on both sides of the fence.:confused: