quieter bow?

Discussion in 'Archery Hunting' started by mukappa96, Nov 2, 2010.

1. mukappa96

mukappa96 Member

Jan 27, 2009
    st. louis
    what do you like on your bow to try and keep it quiet?

1. rubber dampener/sting leeches

2. cat whiskers silencers

thanks

2. Trad-hunter

Trad-hunter Active Member

Oct 22, 2007
    S W Mo.

3. macon county boy

macon county boy New Member

May 6, 2009
    depends on the bow if its a hoyt you dont need anything

4. joebuck

joebuck New Member

Dec 8, 2008
    St. Peters
    [rquote=1876233&tid=130686&author=macon county boy]depends on the bow if its a hoyt you dont need anything[/rquote]
    x2:D

5. Refuze2falo

Refuze2falo Plain White Cracker

Aug 13, 2008
    We are neighbors
    About a 500gr arrow will hush it up a bit:cheers:

6. dodge

dodge Active Member

Oct 8, 2010
    cedar hill, mo
    I am going to get some limb silencers and string suppressors work great too

7. Catfish Pursuit

Catfish Pursuit New Member

Aug 16, 2006
    Oak Grove, Missouri
    I shoot a 2008 Mathews DXT at 70 pounds, only thing it has is the S-Coil stabilizer, nothing on the string at all. Shot my buck this year with 11 doe's within 20 yards, including 2 under my stand. Shot and the buck ran off fast, and the doe's were all still in the same place, not spooked. I always thought it was noisy, but when a friend shot it it was actually pretty quiet. I think it really depends on the bow. Super string leech's work good, used them on my PSE. Chris

8. JrNation88

JrNation88 Active Member

Jan 2, 2009
    BOCO
    [rquote=1876845&tid=130686&author=ccso640] I always thought it was noisy, but when a friend shot it it was actually pretty quiet. I think it really depends on the bow. Super string leech's work good, used them on my PSE. Chris[/rquote]

I have found this to be so true.... mine has the 'stock' Diamond hush kit and I always thought it was super loud but then heard someone else shoot it and it was much much quieter. I think having your head there makes it seem loud

9. seth_turner_04

seth_turner_04 Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2005
    Owensville, MO
    Heavier arrows and a tuned bow will help you out a lot. I don't have anything on my Mathews Drenalin and shoot a 380 gr arrow which isn't heavy and it is whisper quiet. I do keep it in tune.

10. Squid Hunter

Squid Hunter New Member

Sep 20, 2009
    Winfield, MO
    cat whiskers do a great job. :D

11. Satch

Satch Senior Member

Aug 5, 2008
    Central MO
    Heck, I just cut the tail off my cat and tie it on the string. The cat sure makes a noise for a while though.:eek:

12. Turkeyhunter11

Turkeyhunter11 New Member

Oct 12, 2010
    I put monkey tails on my bow. They seemed to work pretty good. :2thumbsup:

13. icbigiowabucks

icbigiowabucks New Member

Nov 26, 2008
    Knoxville Iowa
    just keep in mind anything you add to the string, takes away on speed... I shoot a 2008 ROSS started shooting 305fps I added string silencers and slowed arrow speed down to 299, took them off and my peep, speed went to 308fps. added a peep that didnt have the tubing to align it and now shooting 306fps, so be careful what you add to string

14. Longbow26

Longbow26 New Member

Feb 5, 2005
    Farmington, MO
    only quiet bow is one that is not shot.

seriously string dampners and limb dampners, but bear in mind those increase the felt recoil in the hand and alter the speed of the bow. And change teh arrow slight since it changes the harmonics of the bow.