Questions on logged property

Discussion in '(MDC)General Wildlife Habitat Management' started by River rat86, Aug 10, 2017.

1. River rat86

River rat86 Active Member

Oct 26, 2012
    St.charles mo.
    I bought 25 acres this summer that borders my farm , and it was heavy logged about 4 years ago. It is thick and by thick I mean u can step off the logging roads because of the 8 foot of regrowth and thorns! I know deer use it but almost seems that it is getting to thick. What should I except in the years to come? Is it going to thin out or just get thicker? Deer goin to use it more or less? Should I look into controlled burns or just let it do its thing?

trickm83 likes this.
  2. Maconplc

Maconplc Active Member

Dec 14, 2009
    It depends. I hate that answer but it is the best answer in this case. The best thing to do is to get your PLC (private land conservationist) out to the farm to take a look at it and give you some better advice. If there is good oak regen then you might want to be conservative on the management. If it came back as bush honeysuckle and multiflora rose then you should probably use a combination of herbicide and burning. If there is a good diversity of native vegetation then it should start naturally thinning out as the canopy gets taller and shades out everything below it. It might even be best to do a timber stand improvement (TSI) which will allow more sunlight to the ground but will help get desirable seedlings into the canopy. If it is honeysuckle then it's going to stay thick for a long time. If you need help finding your PLC then u2u me the county the farm is in and I'll get you their contact info.