Question

Discussion in 'Bass' started by deerhunter365, Jun 1, 2009.

1. deerhunter365

deerhunter365 Active Member

Oct 14, 2008
    Salisbury/Marceline
    What is the best way to clean a bass? I clean channel cat all the time. Last night i caught a couple nice bass and i tried cleaning them the same way but it didnt work out too good.:whiteflag: any suggestions or ideas?

2. Longbow26

Longbow26 New Member

Feb 5, 2005
    Farmington, MO
    you dont ahve to remove teh skin off a bass. Just slit belly open from anus hole up to gillet. Remove the guts and gills and its ready to cook.

or you can fillet out the meet avoiding the gutting proses.

3. PMan

PMan Retired

Dec 3, 2002
  4. thompson

thompson Active Member

Nov 26, 2007
    That is how I clean all of my fish. Except I leave the fillet attached at the tail. That is so I flip the fillet take it off of the skin and all the junk is still attached.

5. Heeler75

Heeler75 Confirmed Bachelor

Feb 10, 2008
    Over Yonder Way
    I completely filet like crappie or bluegill.

6. blevely

blevely White Board Man

Jul 15, 2004
    Here and There
    [rquote=1282373&tid=89727&author=Heeler75]I completely filet like crappie or bluegill.[/rquote]

yep same here,

only fish I don't a lot with is trout and I just gut them and cook em'

7. fishshooter

fishshooter Well-Known Member

Mar 30, 2007
    Reform
    I throw them scale fish back, I USALLY throw the channies back too although that's all there is in a lake :mad2::boohoo:

8. blevely

blevely White Board Man

Jul 15, 2004
    Here and There
    Guess that explains why you is so skinny then I suppose:D

got to keep some some stuff and eat it to get one these cool bellies:claphands::claphands:

9. Heeler75

Heeler75 Confirmed Bachelor

Feb 10, 2008
    Over Yonder Way
    [rquote=1282396&tid=89727&author=fishshooter]I throw them scale fish back, I USALLY throw the channies back too although that's all there is in a lake :mad2::boohoo:[/rquote]

Once again reaffirming your "daftness in the head" if you won't keep bass/bluegill/crappie for eating. :D

:rof2::rof2::rof2::rof2::rof2:

:pop::pop:

10. fishshooter

fishshooter Well-Known Member

Mar 30, 2007
    Reform
    Just wait, I'll be back on the MO soon enough :claphands:

Ain't sure about that lake fishing, the fish in em don't play by the :rules:

11. JustBob

JustBob New Member

i cut em up like that guy but i do not cut the filet off of the fish before i cut if from the skin. i cut towards the tail and then flip the filet over and deskin it. that way theres only one piece of trash and 2 filets.

12. Mailman

Mailman Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2005
    Blue Springs Mo
    This video shows how I clean all of my fish including catfish. As for bass I will not keep anything over 2 lbs. They loose there good taste if they are larger than that. Electric knife is the way to go. I even have one that runs off my boat battery for fish cleaning on the water. I keep a fillet board just for that purpose.

Here is the simplest way to do it...and you can even use a standard fillet knife and achieve the same results but it takes a bit longer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BmYVyuRhM5U

13. Bass Fishin

Bass Fishin New Member

Jun 1, 2009
    Nothern MO
  14. TAB

TAB Active Member

Jun 18, 2007
    Southern Illinois
    Usually let dad do em:D. I have only attmpted em a couple times. We always use an electric knife. Cut em behind gill along backbone to the tail(leaving attached flip it and cut it off the skin. Many great videos on Youtube!

15. rangerdvr

rangerdvr Senior Member

Nov 10, 2008
    Beebe, Arkansas
    I throw them back, rather eat Crappie and Bluegill