Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
69,797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I never had a problem with my old boat motor about winterizing it. Only a small 30hp Suzuki. I just ran it dry of gas the last time I used it in October and evaporation took care of the rest. Did it this way for 12 years with no problem of it freezing up with it stored outside.

But......Now that I have a new boat with a 75 hp Mercury on it I think I might have to do a bit more than just run it dry of gas. What do you guys that store your boat outside have to do to your motors for the winter besides just filling up the tank and put in some Stabilt in the tank?

·
Grrrrrrr
29,951 Posts
Make darn sure there is no water in the lower unit.

·
Registered
69,797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
[rquote=1490234&tid=104099&author=archer66]Make darn sure there is no water in the lower unit. [/rquote]

And just how do I do this? Is there a plug of some sorts?

·
Registered
6,852 Posts
There are two vent plugs, one should be towards the top of the lower unit and one at the bottom.
Take the top one out, then remove the bottom one and quickly stick a bottle of 90w in it. Squeeze the bottle until i tcomes out the top plug. Put the top one back in, then pull the bottle and put the bottom one back in. Put StaBil in the gas tank and you are winterized. Clean up your mess and you are done.

Almost forgot - unhook your batteries too!

·
Registered
69,797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
[rquote=1490260&tid=104099&author=htredneck]There are two vent plugs, one should be towards the top of the lower unit and one at the bottom.
Take the top one out, then remove the bottom one and quickly stick a bottle of 90w in it. Squeeze the bottle until i tcomes out the top plug. Put the top one back in, then pull the bottle and put the bottom one back in. Put StaBil in the gas tank and you are winterized. Clean up your mess and you are done.

Almost forgot - unhook your batteries too![/rquote]

Isn't this just for the oil? I thought you had to do something about the water that might be in the lower unit plus a term called "Fogging Your Motor"??? I never did any of that stuff on my old boat motor except for putting stabil in the gas.

·
Grrrrrrr
29,951 Posts
[rquote=1490283&tid=104099&author=Mailman][rquote=1490260&tid=104099&author=htredneck]There are two vent plugs, one should be towards the top of the lower unit and one at the bottom.

Almost forgot - unhook your batteries too![/rquote]

Isn't this just for the oil? I thought you had to do something about the water that might be in the lower unit plus a term called "Fogging Your Motor"??? I never did any of that stuff on my old boat motor except for putting stabil in the gas.[/rquote]

I'm going to get the terminology wrong, but the lower unit of your motor contains the gears (for lack of a better word) that run the propeller.....awww heck...your owners manual for the motor should have all the info you need to winterize, if you don't have an owners manual I'd contact mercury or see if you can get one off their website. That would be the best thing.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
mm if i remember you bought the same boat i have and what i did is change lower unit oil,sprayed the fogger oil in each cylinder, added stabil to gas unhook batteries, and cover it up. i don`t know about you but mine has not been in the water since early oct. so i was not worried about water in it. the fogging oil i got from bass pro.almost forgot after i addded the fogging oil i turned it over for a couple seconds to get the oil worked in.

·
Registered
6,852 Posts
What does fogging oil do?
I have winterized my Dad's 135 Merc for over 30 years now, I had a 90 Merc and now I have a 60 Merc and I have never used it. All I have ever done is what I described above.

By stuffing lower unit lube (aka 90w) in the lower plug until it comes out the top, that displaces all the water from the lower unit. You can drain it all if you want, but I usually wait until I unwinterize them to do that. One thing I forgot to say earlier is to make sure the motor sits vertical when you are done too. Let it down like would if it were in the water.

The only problem I ever had doing this was last year. I forgot to disconnect the gas line from my tank, and the seal went bad on the quick disconnect. Because my 60 is one that has the seperate oil tank, the lack of pressure on the gas side let the pressure from the oil side overcome the mixer and filled my carbs with oil - literally. That one cost me a set of plugs...

·
Registered
31,310 Posts
fogging the engine puts a thin coat of oil on the cylinder walls and valve faces to keep things from rusting, and to keep valve guids from becoming brittle due to drying out. it also keeps the rings from sticking.

MM, you also need to make sure theres no water in the block anywhere. you need to get some antifreeze run through the engine if you have any questions of water being anywhere in the block.

·
Registered
69,797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
[rquote=1490375&tid=104099&author=Muleskinner]I usually add Stabil and just start it about once a month and dry run it.[/rquote]

Dry run it??

Do you mean just enough to push out any water that might be in the block but not enough time to heat up the engine? 10 or 20 seconds maybe?

·
Registered
6,418 Posts
Yes that is what I did with my 19992 85hp Suzuki. I do it also now with my Shoalrunner w/350 chevy. But If it is a late model I think I would refer to the owners manual.
They both were parked inside but do not know if that makes any diffence.

·
Registered
69,797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Mine is outside all the time with a cover on it. As for the owners manual.....I bought the boat used from Hannibal Bowhunter last summer and got an owners manual for everything on the boat except for the big motor. It is a 2002 75 HP Mercury made for Tracker Boats of Bass Pro.

[file]81628[/file]

·
Grrrrrrr
29,951 Posts
Man that's a great looking rig Mailman....not the kind of boat I want for my purposes...but still a beaut.

·
Registered
6,852 Posts
You have a two cycle motor so you should be good to go with the advice everyone has given you.
If you do the dry run part - make very sure, it is for an extremely short period of time. Personally I would omit that part, but that is me. It makes complete sense, but those Mercs will heat up quick with no water to cool them...

·
6,643 Posts
MM-

Those Mercs are a P.I.T.A. to fog. Not sure how yours is laid out, but just getting the spark plugs out of my Dad's 150 Optimax is impossible unless you are a Merc mechanic. Best thing to do if you can't get all the plugs out is to just give a good spray down of the intake while the motor is running with muffs on the lower unit providing water. If you can get all the plugs out after you have run it and sprayed a good coating in the intake you can spray fogging oil in each spark plug hole and then coat the plug itself and put them back in. As for your fuel, I have heard that Sea Foam is better then Stabil so I'm gonna try it this year. Dump the appropriate amount in your fuel tank prior to running the motor with the muffs on. That way you get the mixture all the way up into the motor and not just in your tank. Call me if you need help.

BTW- My Yamaha 150 HPDI is a breeze to winterize!! Just sayin!!

·
Registered
69,797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks guys.....I sent Hannibal Bowhunter (who I bought the boat from) an email last night and he told me that when he lived in Michigan he had to fog the engine but the guys at Bass Pro here in Missouri said all he needed to do was add the Stabil to the gas tank. He has done this since he moved to Missouri and it has worked OK. No problems the next spring each year.

·
6,643 Posts
[rquote=1490752&tid=104099&author=Mailman]Thanks guys.....I sent Hannibal Bowhunter (who I bought the boat from) an email last night and he told me that when he lived in Michigan he had to fog the engine but the guys at Bass Pro here in Missouri said all he needed to do was add the Stabil to the gas tank. He has done this since he moved to Missouri and it has worked OK. No problems the next spring each year.[/rquote]

I would personally fog it. The only time I didn't fog mine was when I lived in TX, but it gets darn cold here and you said it was sitting outside right?? Better safe then sorry and it's not expensive if you do it yourself.

·
Registered
69,797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Weather permitting today I might tear into it after a trip to the boating section of Bass Pro. I'll see how the plugs on the engine are set up. If they are easy to take out I'll do the complete fogging trick...if not...I'll just spray the fogging stuff into the air intake till she starts to sputter or even die. Then add the fuel stabilizer to the gas tank and she should be good to go.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts