Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
will they land on a pond with pintail deeks? i never heard of a teal call, will they come in with a regular duck call???
sorry for the dumb questions, but duck hunting is all new to me!

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
Teal may land with pintail decoys and they do make a call its a whisle type call. Thay may also land with as regular quak callto. My experience is you have to be where the teal are and don't use to many decoys. just my $.02

·
Registered
9,684 Posts
Yep I have never had to use many decoys either. Sometimes even 1/2 dozen will do just fine. If possible get out and do a little scouting before the season starts and find which water sources they are using. I jumped around 50 of them off of our pond yesterday. Can't wait to get in some shooting at those fast little suckers.

·
Registered
3,698 Posts
Ditto what RBH stated.

Early season I have had better luck just using a half dozen or so hen mallard decoy's and a jerk string if the water's calm. Get out and do some scoutin' especially with this cooler weather, should start seeing some good group #'s, I'm hopin'.

·
Registered
17,011 Posts
i just want to see one:whinging:

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
I use 6-12 hen mallards.

There are a few companys that make teal calls; duck commander, haydels, big guys best. You blow them similar to the way you blow a mallard call. It's got a real high pitched sound, it almost sounds like a little kid laughing.

Teal also whistle, which is an easy call for most people to duplicate. They'll come in to mallard hen calls too.

If you got anymore questions don't hesitate to ask, it's the best way to learn. :cheers:

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks gentlemen. ill be out oopening day with a few pintail deeks out on my pond. i got a whistle, with the pea out. hopefully one of those little ducks will whistle so i can hear what they sound like.
thanks again. thats why i like this forum. striaght, solid, and honsest answers. no BS.
Good Huntin-
Bran

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.