Question On Livestock Water Tank Heaters

Discussion in 'Social Club' started by hillbilly, May 24, 2009.

1. hillbilly

hillbilly Senior Member

Dec 27, 2006
    Fulton Mo
    We have a Intex above ground 18x48 swimming pool that I'm gonna to fill tomorrow. Well It takes about 20 days for It to warm up to enjoy. My question is, do you think if i got a livestock tank heater (electric) that would heat the water up? The pool doesn't get alot of sunlight Is my problem and the solar covers don't do alot of good for us either. Any thoughts?:cheers:

2. Heeler75

Heeler75 Confirmed Bachelor

Feb 10, 2008
    Over Yonder Way
    IMHO, you won't get much good out of a tank heater. All those heaters do is keep the water just warm enough to keep from freezing. :cheers:

3. hillbilly

hillbilly Senior Member

Dec 27, 2006
    Fulton Mo
    [rquote=1274263&tid=89211&author=Heeler75]IMHO, you won't get much good out of a tank heater. All those heaters do is keep the water just warm enough to keep from freezing. :cheers:[/rquote]

Brad that's what I was kinda thinking. It's been awhile since I have used one:cheers:

4. Heeler75

Heeler75 Confirmed Bachelor

Feb 10, 2008
    Over Yonder Way
    Kevin, no problem. They work good on a 100 gallon tank but think the pool would be a stretch. :D

5. hillbilly

hillbilly Senior Member

Dec 27, 2006
    Fulton Mo
    Well Brad I guess that's why I'm a HILLBILLY:dancin:Always trying to think ahead of stuff:DHope you are having a great weekend:cheers:

6. venatic

venatic ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

The cold water will be good for your back. It will get the blood flowing!:woot:

7. henry

henry Fan Boy aka Mr Twisty and

If you have some warm sunny days you can circulate the water thru a couple hundred feet of garden hose laying on the ground in the sun,,and it will speed the warming process up dramatically.

:cheers::cheers:

8. hillbilly

hillbilly Senior Member

Dec 27, 2006
    Fulton Mo
    Thanks Henry didn't think of that one.:cheers::cheers:

9. TrackerCasey

TrackerCasey Active Member

Sep 20, 2006
    Mid-Michigan
    My uncle uses the garden hose trick and he runs it on the roof of his garage and wow IT IS ALMOST TOO HOT.

10. hillbilly

hillbilly Senior Member

Dec 27, 2006
    Fulton Mo
    I bet so with the sun on the roof beating down:cheers:

11. fishshooter

fishshooter Well-Known Member

Mar 30, 2007
    Reform
    Well HB way I figure is what harm can it do, you got enough monry to run it all the time and what's it gonna do shrink up smaller.............................................................like I said nothing to lose :roll2:

12. hillbilly

hillbilly Senior Member

Dec 27, 2006
    Fulton Mo
    I ain't got no $$$$$$$$$$$ I told you I'm going to have to come back to the Kingdom and borrow $$$$$$$$$$$ from the banker of Co. Rd. ....:D:D It can't shrink anymore, you wait till your married and you will find out what I mean:cheers:

13. fishshooter

Mar 30, 2007
    Reform
    :D Well let the banker get the 1st paycheck how bout it, and Ya few more months and I guess I will know what you mean :roll2:

14. hillbilly

hillbilly Senior Member

Dec 27, 2006
    Fulton Mo
    [rquote=1274783&tid=89211&author=fishshooter]:D Well let the banker get the 1st paycheck how bout it, and Ya few more months and I guess I will know what you mean :roll2: [/rquote]

Perfect cure for birth control is a wedding cake:whistle::whistle::whistle::whistle:

15. fishshooter

Mar 30, 2007
    Reform
    As long as she's baptist, which she ain't ;) :drunk:

16. atdalake

atdalake New Member

Feb 4, 2009
    Missouri
    I serously doubt you want to do this...and this is coming from personal experience. First off, most of the ones on the market now are temperature controlled...they don't even kick on till freezing.

But the most important reason is I assume you want a "no sizzle" pool. I had one in an lawn pond to keep the fish from freezing into cubes. Also had it covered with chicken wire to keep the neighborhood cats out. One day I see this fish floating at the top, figuring it was dead I reached down to grab it. When my fingers touched the chicken wire and the water it about knocked me to the ground. The heater had shorted out through the wire, water, and/or ground....and it was shocking the fish every time they swam close. :eek:
    I'm going back to something MADE for ponds. :peepwall:

17. lencerpetro

lencerpetro Guest

My neighbor also uses the garden hose trick and he runs it on the roof of his garage and also in other use. And really it is very hot too.