Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Preferred pronoun-Stud Muffin
10,732 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm gonna plant about an acre of beans. I'll just disc them in, after killing the whatnot.
How many pounds?
I swear every site I looked at gave me bean count, not poundage. I can't count that high... even with my shoes off.
I'm looking to give my bees something to talk about, other than tick trefoil and white clover.
I'm already on the bandwagon of hemp for the pollen (yeah, right).

· Banned
81,617 Posts
Soybeans broadcast and disked like that , I would do a couple bags . They are likely seed count and not poundage. We always drilled 70# .

10,732 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, henry.
Since when did beans go count? I've been out of the loop for a few years, but...
I used to drive to some small town who sold me bin beans. That's a pipe dream now (kinda like the hemp).

· Banned
81,617 Posts
Thanks, henry.
Since when did beans go count? I've been out of the loop for a few years, but...
I used to drive to some small town who sold me bin beans. That's a pipe dream now (kinda like the hemp).
Beans and corn both. Planting equipment has just become that precise would be my guess as to why. Im not sure how long .

· Registered
20,349 Posts
Is there other Ag--beans near your location? 1 acre of beans planted in an area of security (food plot) will be hard pressed to make it through to set on any type of beans for late season.. especially if you have a mid/high deer density. If your just wanting something to fill the space until fall you should be good. Maybe add some soy beans into your fall mix too!

10,732 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Nah, the deer got plenty. I provide cover for about 3 does, and they do the rest.
I quit trying to feed the entire herd.
This is strictly to get flowers for the bees.
I have coops about 45 minutes away.

Reactions: WBF

· Registered
20,349 Posts
Flower Plant Tree Grass Shrub
Plant Ecoregion Flower Tree Grassland
I'd also consider CC Crimson Clover this fall. Being an annual it's going to direct all of its energy into producing above ground instead of below ground (est. A root system) its one of if not THE most cold hearty clovers you can establish and its fairly cheap. A simple hand seeder is all you need. You will have a decent draw for deer late into the season and the bees will get a nice red bloom to feast on come spring. @gurgalunas steered me toward the CC... there's not a fall plot on any of my farms that doesn't have CC planted....

· Registered
32,087 Posts
I usually plant 2 bags per acre and hope enough survive the initial deer blitz to make a plot. It usually doesn't.

Reactions: swat1018
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.