Question on ATV's /Utility Vehicles

Discussion in 'Social Club 2011' started by MoBowman, Jun 2, 2009.

1. MoBowman

MoBowman New Member

Dec 16, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    I have an opportunity to buy a Polaris Utility vehicle at a unreal price. Guy that works for me, dad bought it from someone and has since passed. Not sure if there is a title or where it may be or even if he retitled it. Do these things have to be titled or registered, does it matter and what may I run into down the road? If the title is lost and not retitled, how would I go about applying for a new one without knowing who the original owner is? Before you ask, I am pretty darn sure it it NOT stolen.

2. Refuze2falo

Refuze2falo Plain White Cracker

Aug 13, 2008
    We are neighbors
    Mike
    My Kubota UTV never had a title
    I got a bill of sale when I purchased it used
    Got a partial loan and the bank just took the serial #

3. CoHunter

CoHunter New Member

May 19, 2007
    Colorado
    [rquote=1283967&tid=89815&author=Refuze2falo]

Got a partial loan

[/rquote]

He will not need a loan, he is loaded with money.

4. Refuze2falo

Aug 13, 2008
    We are neighbors
    Agree I could tell when I met him last weekend he is a walking bank....:peepwall:

5. MoBowman

MoBowman New Member

Dec 16, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    THat what I was wondering, if just a bill of sale would work. THe only thing it would be used for is on the farm and hunting, unless I decided to sell it for something a bit more convenient.

6. MoBowman

MoBowman New Member

Dec 16, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    [rquote=1283973&tid=89815&author=Refuze2falo]Agree I could tell when I met him last weekend he is a walking bank....:peepwall:[/rquote]

:hysterical::rof2::hysterical::rof2: Sure have you guys fooled, I have a wife (that loves diamonds) 3 daughters and 3 granddaughters. :whinging:

7. Ginger

Ginger Administrator Staff Member

Nov 23, 2003
    Chariton County
  8. pinwheel

pinwheel Jenny's Lackey

Jun 17, 2006
    middle of nowhere
    I don't believe we have a title for our mule. Seen them sell at auction & never heard an auctioneer mention a title yet. Usually, if a vehicle has a title, the auctioneer will tell the bidders it's with the clerk before they start bidding.

9. knockemdeadd

knockemdeadd Active Member

Feb 3, 2007
    Arnold(St Louis)
    I just bought one. Was told, that if I was going to ride it in a park, etc, it would need a sticker, you need a title to get the sticker from DMV.

Also, when transporting on public roads, title is required. On your farm? no problem, no title required. BTW, if under $3,000, no sales tax is charged.

My buddy had a title "issue", he wanted o ride in parks etc. He had to pay the original sales tax on it, in order to get it titled. That cost a pretty penny. Dont know if he applied for a lost title or what.

10. rat

rat Legbone

Dec 13, 2005
    If your going to insure it, I bet the insurance company would want a title.

11. knockemdeadd

Feb 3, 2007
    Arnold(St Louis)
    [rquote=1284031&tid=89815&author=rat]If your going to insure it, I bet the insurance company would want a title.[/rquote]

dont know, greenhead or buddy would though.

12. FiremanBrad

FiremanBrad New Member

I titled my Polaris 4wheeler back when I bought it, and got the sticker, which also lets you use it on gravel, for farming uses, I believe? Plus, if you take it out west, at least Wyoming requires a current sticker.

13. rat

rat Legbone

Dec 13, 2005
    I only got the sticker right at first and its way expired now.
    Guess I might have to get a current one...
    Did you guys get checked fireman?

14. Jeremy

Jeremy REGULAR MEMBER

Dec 22, 2006
    you dont need a title to be in possesion of it, or purchase it, bill of sale will suffice
    you will need a title if you plan on riding it at a state park or state lands (however, with all the times i have gone to st joes or finger lakes, they dont even bother to look due to aftermarket plastics and race built vehicles)

15. huntforfunnfood

huntforfunnfood New Member

Jun 30, 2003
    new bloomfield mo
    a bill of sale will work to get a sticker
    you can take the serial number if it was titled in MO at one time and have DMV run it and tell you who last had the title

now do you need a sticker...well 90% of folks that own one should have them...but i can promise you that not 90% of them do....

whats legal and what you can get buy with are totally two different things

16. rat

rat Legbone

Dec 13, 2005
    I heard that if you are trailering it and get pulled over by the HP, they can ticket you for not having a sticker cause it is technically on a public roadway.

17. Jeremy

Jeremy REGULAR MEMBER

Dec 22, 2006
    [rquote=1284103&tid=89815&author=rat]I heard that if you are trailering it and get pulled over by the HP, they can ticket you for not having a sticker cause it is technically on a public roadway.[/rquote]

not entirely true, my first atv was customized to the hilt, there wasnt any way to get a sticker for it after i was done as it was a custom built quad.
    if that were in fact the case, all of these guys that haul scrap cars would be getting tickets left and right. 90% of the scrap cars they drag out of barns and stuff dont have titles.

18. knockemdeadd

Feb 3, 2007
    Arnold(St Louis)
    [rquote=1284103&tid=89815&author=rat]I heard that if you are trailering it and get pulled over by the HP, they can ticket you for not having a sticker cause it is technically on a public roadway.[/rquote]

19. Refuze2falo

Aug 13, 2008
    We are neighbors
    I am a law breaker:peepwall:

Just Sayin

20. Rebel2

Rebel2 Well-Known Member

Dec 16, 2003
    Ozark, MO
    [rquote=1284107&tid=89815&author=knockemdeadd][rquote=1284103&tid=89815&author=rat]I heard that if you are trailering it and get pulled over by the HP, they can ticket you for not having a sticker cause it is technically on a public roadway.[/rquote]

x 2[/rquote]

nope cuz them tires aint touchin the road...

nothin a dang thing they can do