Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Cooler Semi-Elitist
4,906 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now I just wanna make sure I am reading the reg's correctly. My son is 11 and has not taken the Hunter Safety Course. The way I interpret the regs he can hunt on a youth permit as long as I am right there with him and am properly liscensed?

This will be a hunt on private land. I usually don't recommend going to Bulliten Board Sites for info on regs, but I feel I can trust the info from this place.

GP:wink:

·
Banned
81,616 Posts
I have always understood the rule to apply like you have described. The exception would be if you were a landowner and your kid was hunting on your land. Then they could hunt on landowner tags even without hunter ed certification.

:cheers::cheers:

·
Registered
5,362 Posts
Youth only tag & with a certified adult until hunter certified, After certified they can still participate in the youth hunts with any legal tags but must be with a certified adult during the youth only portion..

·
Registered
12,626 Posts
Originally posted by Hatch
Youth only tag & with a certified adult until hunter certified, After certified they can still participate in the youth hunts with any legal tags but must be with a certified adult during the youth only portion..
This is a good explanation, and the way I understand it is that you Gutpile,would have to have the Hunter Safety Certificate to be able to take him out on the youth hunt.

·
Cooler Semi-Elitist
4,906 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
OK Cool, I am hunter certified no sweat there. So I can get him the yute permit and I will buy my permit. Thus making me properly liscensed and certified and in my presence.

·
Registered
397 Posts
.243 seems to be the firearm of choice right? I had my son (almost 9) try is 20 gauge with a slug this weekend. Didn't go so well. The gun is too heavy and the kick was to much for him to handle. I may just wait another year. How would a .243 compare to his 20 gauge? anyone got one to sell?

·
Registered
42,108 Posts
Originally posted by bigredhusker
.243 seems to be the firearm of choice right? I had my son (almost 9) try is 20 gauge with a slug this weekend. Didn't go so well. The gun is too heavy and the kick was to much for him to handle. I may just wait another year. How would a .243 compare to his 20 gauge? anyone got one to sell?
the .243 will kick a whole lot LESS then the 20 guage...

·
Navy/Air Force/Army
17,282 Posts
You can get him in a .243 for a little over $200, if you go the handi-rifle route. That's what I did anyway, and I carry it sometimes just because.
As far as shooting goes, I watched some show this weekend and agree with what he said. That a kid doesn't have to shoot a large caliber to become proficient at shooting that caliber. If the kick makes him start flinching then all is lost. I take my .22 along when we shoot the deer rifle. He will shoot 20 rounds with the .22, and only 1 or 2 with the .243.

·
Cooler Semi-Elitist
4,906 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
My son is 11 and he was shooting my .25-06 this weekend. He was shooting it off a bench and he handled the recoil just fine, and was very accurate with it. Granted he was only shooting at a distance of about 70 yards, but he was doing great! He shot pretty well with my homemade bipod as well. But he is pretty darn big kid for 11.

GP

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.