Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
had my real first chance to take some rabbits (really enjoyed it) but have a question. I have read enough and will not have any issues skinning them but how should I cut the meat? Do I just cut the legs off and eat them like chicken legs or cut all the little pieces of muscle off?

your help would be appreciated in this new venture of mine

·
Registered
31,341 Posts
we either cut the legs off, bread them and fry em up, or just toss the whole cleaned rabbit in the crock pot for 6-8 hours and make a mean wabbit stew:D

·
Registered
9,730 Posts
4 legs, cut between the back and ribs. Just like a squirrel.....all there is to it. We eat it all.

Vic

·
Registered
19,796 Posts
[rquote=1565512&tid=108868&author=Barnold1]I pull the fur, use knife/shears to remove the legs and filet out the backstraps, all without ever messing with the guts. [/rquote]

As many rabbits as Ive cleaned(100s if not 1000s), I never thought of that! :2thumbsup:

SURE gonna try it, them guts can flat out make ya barf! :whinging:

·
Registered
3,331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks for the tips. Looks like the easiest is to have fried rabbit legs (4) and straps.....
what cut do they use then for rabbit and gravy and all the other fanciful recipies I see? Do they just put it in the crock pot until it all just falls off, remove bones and go from there?

·
Registered
3,837 Posts
fried then make gravey out of the drippins - or quick browned then wing sauce then into the oven at 300 for 20-30 minutes. crock pot n cream mushroom soup served over rice. lots a good ways to do rabbits

·
Registered
3,331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
final question....then i'm gonna get to cooking so i'll have it ready when my wife gets off work.
love the mushroom soup and fried with gravy but do you leave bone in and eat around it or pull meat off bone?

·
Registered
17,011 Posts
"where's eddy at, doesn't he usually eat these things":D

·
591 Posts
I debone the rear legs and backbone, then bread and deep fry....rabbit nuggets. Only way my wife likes them besides a rabbit stew. And a few ol' boys down in SW Mo really like 'em that way too.

I save all the front legs and soak them in a BBQ sauce all day then throw on the grill, just like bbq wings.

I like the hot sauce idea too!!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.