Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Retired
9,535 Posts
St. Louis Style ribs, also called spare ribs (the chine bone and the brisket bones are removed from the bottom of the rib rack). Aside from ribs, "crispy snoots" are also extremely popular, referring to very well barbecued pig snouts.

Another staple of St. Louis-style barbecue is pork steak. This is probably the one place in the world where you can get pork steaks at any meat market. Pork steak is typically cut from the shoulder part of the hog and is a fairly fatty cut of meat. The St. Louis style of preparing it is quickly char broiled on an open grill over hot coals and to top it with barbecue sauce, preferably Maull's[1]).

The pork steak is usually cooked over over hot coals until done, then simmered in a pan of barbecue sauce that is placed on the grill. This results in the meat becoming very tender until it almost falls off the bone.

Not to even compair with Memphis styel BBQ--:cheers:

·
Under appreciated
92,881 Posts
Rules as p-man has indicated are not hard and fast..

Mauls is spicy catsup, nuttin more IMHO.. Do yourself a favor and make
your own sauce... not that hard to do and you can customize as needed..
Heck, if folks can make drugs out of sudafed and anhydrous ammonia, cant we
figure out bbq sauce??

I hate pork steaks that are simmered to mealiness in bbq sauce...

But I do agree in principle as to your description..

·
2,688 Posts
Originally posted by Plasticman
St. Louis Style ribs, also called spare ribs (the chine bone and the brisket bones are removed from the bottom of the rib rack). Aside from ribs, "crispy snoots" are also extremely popular, referring to very well barbecued pig snouts.

Another staple of St. Louis-style barbecue is pork steak. This is probably the one place in the world where you can get pork steaks at any meat market. Pork steak is typically cut from the shoulder part of the hog and is a fairly fatty cut of meat. The St. Louis style of preparing it is quickly char broiled on an open grill over hot coals and to top it with barbecue sauce, preferably Maull's[1]).

The pork steak is usually cooked over over hot coals until done, then simmered in a pan of barbecue sauce that is placed on the grill. This results in the meat becoming very tender until it almost falls off the bone.

Pman, you are correct to a degree. St. Louis style ribs are not rubbed with dry rub they are cooked over the coals and then slathered with Mauls. If you don't like Mauls you are not putting enough beer in it. Also, the pork steak is cut from the butt not the shoulder. All of us here don't simmer our meat in sauce but many do. I been eating this bbq here for many years. Its ok but I prefer the KC style with dry rub and smoked off the heat for hours. The other bbq favorite in STL is chicken halves cooked over the coals and then slathered with sauce. Not bad but again rub and smoke is better for chicken. Just my .02 worth on this one.

·
Under appreciated
92,881 Posts
Originally posted by rainbow
Originally posted by Plasticman

Also, the pork steak is cut from the butt not the shoulder.
pork butt is the shoulder..
Upper portion of the shoulder is called the butt and the lower portion is called the picnic portion or roast.

·
Registered
366 Posts
If you want good pork steak use a weber kettle. Put all of the char-coal on one side and the meat on the other. Use a dry rub and you can stack the meat 4 or 5 steaks high. Turn once an hour. Do not take the lid off untill your ready to turn the meat. Cook for 3 to 4 hours depending on how many steaks you have. As for the bar-b-q sauce.......don't need it.

·
Registered
8,318 Posts
Come on all... you gotta use SWEET BABY RAY'S BBQ SAUCE on your bbq!!!!

·
Under appreciated
92,881 Posts
Originally posted by Lefty
Come on all... you gotta use SWEET BABY RAY'S BBQ SAUCE on your bbq!!!!
Wiser words were never spoken!! :cheers:

·
Retired
9,535 Posts
I make my own BBQ sauce as well as my own dry rub--took me years to get it to where its just right for my taste buds.

Thats why we have so many good sauces on the market---just think how boring it would be if we all had the same tastes!:stickfight:

The one style that I dont care for at all is the Memphis style taste----way to much vinager taste for me!

:cheers:

·
Under appreciated
92,881 Posts
I'm with ya pman... I like making my own but sweet baby rays is a good base
in a pinch. I rarely use baby rays alone without my own "doctorin" if you knowutimean..

And.. the vinegar based thin sauces arent for me either!

·
Retired
9,535 Posts
Originally posted by rat
I'm with ya pman... I like making my own but sweet baby rays is a good base
in a pinch. I rarely use baby rays alone without my own "doctorin" if you knowutimean..

And.. the vinegar based thin sauces arent for me either!
Yep----I will still buy KC Masterpiece when I run out of mine and then do a little playing with it on the stove with a dark beer and some brown sugar!!!!!YUMMMMMMM:cheers:

·
Registered
8,318 Posts
Originally posted by rat
teriyaki perhaps?? crushed red pepper??
Oh yeah... crushed red peppers!!
:cheers::cheers:

·
Registered
8,318 Posts
Originally posted by PlasticmanThe one style that I dont care for at all is the Memphis style taste----way to much vinager taste for me!
Same here... but I also do not like the mustard based sauces I've tried! :cool3:

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.