Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
11,897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have always used FFF 80grains of Goex powder in my 54 and 50 caliber rifels, for the last 14 years. I switched to FFF from FF to reduce hangfiers. Added benafit of the switch was only having to cary one powder horn for my hunting since i bring out rifle and pistol.

Reason I am asking is we barrowed a ML barel for wifes Encore system from a freind. It is a 50caliber. Sadly it uses the 209 primers instead of the #11 caps. We can over look that devasite. The 1 in 28 rifling is going to be an agrevation since that rifling patern is not condusive to acuratly shoting patched round ball. Since wife is only going to use it this ML season (she wont shot my flintlocks) I detest shoting sabots, in my opinion and exsperience there acuracy pails in comparisen to a patched round ball. TC customer service said today that a 3 to 4 inch group at 100 yards is aceptable acuracy to there standerds when shoting sabots. ( I wont go there today)

Untill we can find a TC Encore 50cal barel with a 1 in 48 twist in it. We are stuck using the barrowed barel with the 1 in 28 riflling. Or a 12ga ML barrel for same system and just shot pached round ball out of it.

But my question befor i got to semi rambling is as fallows.

I am using a volume meashure device and set it to 80 grains.

How do I go about finding what diference volum meashering FFF is to FF?

Since we will have to use stinken sabets ill be using the Hornady 45cal diamiter .452 240GR XTP/MAG sitting in the Hornady SABOT 50caliber part number 6751 black. The manual says to not exed 150grains of FF for that projectile.

I supose one could say I have been risking my life for 14 years shoting 80grains of FFF volume meashure in my ML rifles instead of using 80grains of FF volume meashure.

But have never had a hangfire using FFF after the switch.

·
17,674 Posts
I use FFF and have never had a hangfire. I believe FFF burns hotter and faster than FF so you may need to measure more FF to equal same FFF measure. Im not exactly sure by how much tho. Talk to Yankee or Battman1, they are good guys to know for MLing I have found out. :cheers:

[Edited on 12-4-2009 by hun10]

·
Registered
38,393 Posts
Once you figure out a load for those foresaken sabots, try a patched roundball, just out of curiosity....You might be pleasantly surprised!!!:wave:

·
17,674 Posts
[rquote=1498601&tid=104574&author=FiremanBrad]Once you figure out a load for those foresaken sabots, try a patched roundball, just out of curiosity....You might be pleasantly surprised!!!:wave:[/rquote]

Exactly. I used round ball for deer and it stops em where they stand. Accuracy would surprise the heck out of you as well.:cheers:

·
Registered
11,897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well we will be putting 100 patched round balls down the barel to break it in today. My freind never used the barel. But unless its a odd ball barel the 1 in 28 twist will reak havoc on acuracy even at 50 yards. Thouhg I do have some 20 thousand of a inch thick patches and can try those instead of the 15 thousands of a inch patches, and see if that helps any. But I am shure that the 1 in 28 is twisting the round ball to slow for it to develop any acuracy.

·
17,674 Posts
Make sure you have a tight fit when you ram the ball and patch. It needs to be tight otherwise you could have hangfires.

·
Registered
11,897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Forgot to say that when talking to TC today to find out what rate of wtist the barel was, the book let dint mention any rate of twist at all. They fist said under no surcomstances use FFF and then said under no surcomstances shot a patched round ball out of it. I can understand the FFF tabo. But why they stating under no surcomstances shot a patched round ball? I guess they would have a coronary knowing i pland to use a non TC made projectile.

·
Registered
11,897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
[rquote=1498629&tid=104574&author=hun10]Make sure you have a tight fit when you ram the ball and patch. It needs to be tight otherwise you could have hangfires.[/rquote]

Yup. Learnd that one long ago. I have gone up in diamiter ball on my 54 to acheive so tight u nead ahammer to drive it in. Takes longer to load but worth the extra accuracy.

·
17,674 Posts
My inlaws have shot all kinds of MLers for years with FFF and have never had a problem. They just back off the charge a little cause its burns faster. Maybe they just don't think you should use the same charge as FF.

·
Confirmed Bachelor
10,482 Posts
What's about trying some of the cast bullets like maxi-balls, etc?

·
Registered
11,897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
When I first got my TC ThunderHawk ML which is 1 in 48 twist inline. I tried ussing the bufallow brand of maxi bullets. The things that had 3 rings in them paced with bore butter and dint use a sabot. I always got a dbl kick out of the gun when shoting those no mater the grain of powder used. I could never figer out what was causing the dbl felt recoil when using those so stoped using. Dint even finish the full pack of them.

My opinion of the sabots is as fallows. Just another guimick by manufactorers to sell easy ML shoting to ppl who dont want to take the time to shot them corectly or acuratly.

Patched round balls droped plenty of enemie trops and has droped plenty of game as well. Are cheaper to use then the sabots 22.55 for a 100ct of projectiels and 9.99 for a 50 pack of sabots. Verses 9.99 for 100 round balls and 5.99 for 100 pre lubed patches.

Like belly buttons we all got opinions and that is just mine.

·
Registered
19,796 Posts
My opinion of the sabots is as fallows. Just another guimick by manufactorers to sell easy ML shoting to ppl who dont want to take the time to shot them corectly or acuratly.

I'll thank you to quit giving out my secrets.....:rof2:

:cheers:

·
Registered
2,190 Posts
I called them recycled milk jugs for a long time but finally started using the darn things part of the time. No, they aren't just for those too lazy to do it right. You can get better ballistics with a superior projectile when using a sabot. And accuracy is just fine. Want to have a match? :D

I've NEVER liked patched round ball ... it took me two rifles and a bunch of money almost 40 years ago to decide that I did'nt like. Never mind that I didn't know what the heck I was doing, had nobody to help me, and there was no internet as there is today. Lessons were a little harder to come by back then and generally cost a heckuva a lot more (in today's dollars).

As soon as I made the switch to Maxi-balls, I stuck the rest of my supply of round balls in my melting pot.

You are going to try prb from a barrel designed to shoot NOTHING but sabot rounds. That QLA isn't going to help you a dern bit but some guys are able to get reasonable accuracy so long as they don't push them too hard. Recommend you back that measure down to about 50 grains for starters, regardless of powder.

·
19,117 Posts
longbow, i have shot almost a jug of fff triple 7 110gr charges from my encore, with no ill effect so far, it's got a bit more of a crack to it, im considering going to 100gr to experiment, on the chrono it was 100-150fps fast than 2f 777 of the same volumetic charge

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.