Question about vanes

Discussion in 'Archery Hunting' started by deer_slayer, Feb 20, 2006.

1. deer_slayer

deer_slayer New Member

Aug 1, 2003
    High Ridge, MO
    I see a lot of archers at the local shop shooting these little bitty short vanes lately. I think one of the brands is called Duravanes or something like that. Anyway, from what I gathered, the advantage to them is increased speed of the arrow. But then one guy said, "But you wouldn't want to use these for hunting. You need 4 inch vanes for that" My question is, is that statement true and why? Thanks for the help.

:wave:

2. membergone

membergone New Member

Jan 17, 2004
    No it is not true. 2" Blazers and the Duravane counterparts are used by a lot of people on their hunting arrows. Probably not by too many that use over a hundred grain broadhead or a shaft that weighs over 7 or 8 grains per inch though. (Those are just guesses.)

3. MoBowman

MoBowman New Member

Dec 16, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Most of what your seeing is probably the Bohning Blazer vanes, and they were designed to help stabilize the broadhead faster during flight. So this guy doesn't really have all the facts. As far as speed, I'am not real sure of, if so it would only be a couple FPS. They are also good with regular field tips. But, be advised in some 3D shoots they may put you up in a different class of shooters. Bowhunter divisions must have 4" vanes. But they have really started with a class of "Mens Release" and there they are good to go.

MoBowman ```------------>

4. deer_slayer

deer_slayer New Member

Aug 1, 2003
    High Ridge, MO
    So would they be a good choice on shafts that are 9-9.5 gpi with 100gr broadheads? I have always used 4 inch vanes, but I'm in the market for new arrows and I thought I might give these a try. And yes they were Blazer not duravanes. Brain fart! Also should I go with straight, offset, or helical?

:confused:

5. MoBowman

MoBowman New Member

Dec 16, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Be honest about it I have never used them myself, but you can pick up enough to do a 1/2 dozen arrows for about $7. If your gonna get new arrows fletch up a 1/2 dozen of each and give em a try. Whats good for one may not be good for another. If your trying to pick up a little more speed you might look into a bit lighter arrow.

MoBowman ```---------->

6. Chase635

Chase635 New Member

Feb 16, 2005
    One thing i noticed about the shorter vanes is you have to have more vane clearence between your rest and the riser, Also if you use a wide broadhead you might have stablity problems.

I have seen the blazer vanes work great with small diamater broadheads and expanable broadheads!

7. Landlover

Landlover Active Member

Jan 10, 2006
    Springfield, MO
    What do you plan on doing with this bow? The reason I ask is because you might need to shoot 4" vanes if you plan on shooting Bowhunter classes @ 3-d shoots. If you are going to shoot open or unlimited classes then you can go with what you want. I have used 3" vanes for about 12 years now and I think they are a good compromise for both. I shoot in the unlimited class so it doesn't matter, but I use the same arrows for hunting and they have worked great so far. I use AAE 3" vanes and really like them. If you don't do anything but hunt, I would stay with 4" vanes. The smaller vanes won't be that big of an advantage.

8. The shorter Blazers have definitely improved my shooting a great deal. I have turned alot of guys I shoot w/ onto these and they say they will never switchback. They have several advantages over the 4''-5'' vanes first is:

They are shorter which when puting on a good offset will help eliminate interference when shooting thru a "shoot thru" style rest.

They only weigh in at 5gr. a piece for the 2'' style and that X's 3 will generally cut your arrow weight by as much as 21gr. Which in turn will cut down on your tail weight and give you more F.O.C. which will improve your arrow balance resulting in better arrow flight.

They are also extremely durable and will not warp or distort when shot thru Whisker Bisquit style rest.

I also stood just off to the side and downrange of someone shooting the AAE 4'' and the Bohning Blazer 2'' on the exact same arrow and the Blazers were almost silent when flying thru the air compared to the AAE. Everyone wants a quiet bow why not shoot a quiet arrow?

As far as broadheads they were designed to steer a arrow as well as or better than a 4'' vane and I have not seen any problems with fixed broadheads up to 1.25''

I'd recommend them if you can't tell:) and if you'd like go to their website at www.bohning.com and get the toll free # and call and they will send you a free sample pack which will be enough to fletch 3-4 arrows.

9. D.R.N.18

D.R.N.18 New Member

Feb 13, 2006
    I switched to 4 in. quick-spin vanes early last summer, they tightend my groups up considerably. They were just too heavy. My arrow drop from 20-30 yards was a hard pill to swallow, along with their expense. Alwyshntn was shooting the blazer vanes and I was amazed at how much quieter they fly, night and day difference. So, I switched to them and will never look back. My groups were even tighter, there was virtually no drop from 10-20 yards, and about 4 inches from 20-30. These vanes are very durable, I shot 4 deer with the same arrow, the vanes always came through unscathed. In my opinion Blazer vanes are the best vanes for my set up, of course i shoot a light arrow with expandables. It could never hurt getting the free sample and trying them out, not much to lose. That is just my testamonial.

10. deer_slayer

deer_slayer New Member

Aug 1, 2003
    High Ridge, MO
    Are you guys fletching those blazer vanes straight, offset, or helical?

:cheers:

11. D.R.N.18

D.R.N.18 New Member

Feb 13, 2006
    I believe mine are slightly offset, alwyshntn will know for sure though.
    :cheers:

12. henry

henry Fan Boy aka Mr Twisty and

I do mine with a right hand helical arizona ez fletch. I like em fine,,but mainly for the lack of contact with my tm hunter style rest.

:cheers::cheers:

13. Slight Offset....

14. rat

rat Legbone

Dec 13, 2005
    I had trouble with the duravanes and ez-fletch because the flange on the those vanes are pretty narrow... they worked fine in the bitzenberger but I dont like duravanes. Who makes the blazers?

15. Bohning Archery

www.bohning.com

1-800-253-0136

Ask for your free samples of the Blazers....

16. rat

rat Legbone

Dec 13, 2005
    Ah... free. Thanks alwyshntn.. will do.