Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've read some posts from some folks about how they just prefer to save only the turkey's breasts, and I am thinking that may be the way to go instead of hassling with plucking or skinning the whole bird. Can some of you more experienced hunters tell me the best way to do that, where to cut, etc.?

·
10,944 Posts
sure can. first cut off the tail and beard if you want to keep them. lay the bird on his back and take your sharp knife and cut a small 3 or 4 inch slit on along the breast bone. then get a hold of the skin and just peal it down to the ground on each side, you can peal it down around the thighs and legs also. then from that same breast bone cut straight down as close to the bone as possible and work down till you have all the breast free, the real fatty, goooooey part in the front.....just cut it off. for the thigh push it down till the bone pops then cut it off at the joint. after both breast and thighs are removed go in for the liver and gizzard and heart......if you dont like them fried up they are great catfish bait. hope this helps.

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
Its probably not a good idea to say you only keep the breast since its a violation to toss the rest of the bird away. I skin the whole bird and use all the portions of the bird. Legs, wings and back get made into turkey noodle soup. I have plucked a couple and it will take awhile but for smoking them thats the way to go.

·
Registered
754 Posts
Originally posted by Hannibal
i always keep the legs and thighs and wings ,,,simmer em a long time and use em in gumbo or noodle soup etc.
You bet. That's what I use em for. :wave:

·
Registered
9,684 Posts
Originally posted by r2ahunter
:fart:
That reminds me of something from friday night. You might need some new underwear if you can fart outside of a building in 20 mile per hour winds, step inside 5 minutes later and make everyone gag.:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

·
Under appreciated
92,120 Posts
Originally posted by riverbottomhunter
Originally posted by r2ahunter
:fart:
That reminds me of something from friday night. You might need some new underwear if you can fart outside of a building in 20 mile per hour winds, step inside 5 minutes later and make everyone gag.:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:
This effect is amplified 20X inside the camper rbh!!

Glad we didnt make those baked beans after all.. no wonder r2 makes the best beans around!! :fart:

·
Registered
9,684 Posts
:hysterical::hysterical::hysterical: I can only imagine what that camper was like that night.

·
Registered
4,462 Posts
I use a technique similat to Hannibal except instead of lying the bird on the ground I hang it head up on a nail in a tree and pull its wings back around the tree and tie them together to get them out of the way.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.