Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Grrrrrrr
29,886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The thread about saving mounts or guns in the event of a fire got me to thinking about this.

Everytime I leave the house for an extended time I worry that I could come home and find someone had broken in and cleaned me out. EVERYTHING in the house can be replaced except for family photos...which no one would want....and my taxidermy. I don't have anything world class but it still wouldn't suprise me to see them gone if the unthinkable were to happen.

With that in mind....how many of you have enough detailed photos and measurements of your taxidermy to have replicas made if need be? Not sure I would spend the money...but I might. Also are mounts insurable? With what they cost, I'd think they should be....I'd sure feel crappy if they were stolen not only because of the memories they bring but because of what I have spent on them.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
wow I have no detailed photos of my mounts. I started the topic that you were referring to and now you got me thinking.

I guess I got some work to do on my biggest deer which is not huge but it means a bunch to me and also my turkey.

·
Grrrrrrr
29,886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have pics from several different angles including closeups....I want to get official measurements done too so I'll have them.

Not really sure if normal P&Y scoring would be sufficient....seems like I would need more measurements to make sure any replica would be accurate. Also precise measurements would make it easier to identify if found later...right?

I need to do a websearch on replicas and see what is recommended.

·
Jenny's Lackey
46,682 Posts
One of these days, I'm gonna go learn how to cast replica antlers. I know where & the basics of how & where to buy all the moldmaking materials, just need to find the time to take a roadtrip.

·
Grrrrrrr
29,886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Originally posted by pinwheel
One of these days, I'm gonna go learn how to cast replica antlers. I know where & the basics of how & where to buy all the moldmaking materials, just need to find the time to take a roadtrip.
You know...right after made the post about detailed measurements I wondered if castings of the original is the way it's done.....question is can ya do it with a completed mount???

·
PURE KILLER
37,998 Posts
i think the cost would scare yah to death:D and doubt if the insurance would even consider it.prolly give you fair market value for the horns and the some more for the mount.thats the general way is done in a fire:innocent:but trying to make a set from pictures. you would have to make by hand and that would be so labor intensive it would be unreal

·
Grrrrrrr
29,886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I was thinking maybe they would be insurable for the amount spent on taxidermy work...not replacement. Ya know if I spent bucks getting the work done was hoping it could be insured for that amount. No way for me to put value on a rack...and wouldn't expect to be able to insure it high enough to pay for a replica. What does a replica cost anyway???

·
PURE KILLER
37,998 Posts
oh depends on what buck yah want,they go from about 350 to start on average 170 and then go up with the size of the rack.i have only dealt one customer with loss of fire.he lost one completley and smoked up some others.ins paid for cleaning of the smoked ones and gave him a certain amount on the crispy one.i would think if yh have some dall rams ,polars or something like that i would suspect you should look into some ryder ins.i know some guys have killed some real good ones and have taken out the ryders ins for them.be a good question for fishy :thinking:

·
Registered
14,241 Posts
If someone cleaned me out, the last thing I would care about are the mounts. I have the memories and the pictures of them and that is enough. There are other items that have far more sentimental value to me than any game mount. For example the wooden decoys my Dad carved and hunted over. My great Grandpas Civil War BP rifle and many other things. Hate to say it, but some of ya are way too attached to the mount and not the experience and memory. Pictures are worth far more than any mount.:cheers:

·
Grrrrrrr
29,886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Originally posted by DADAKOTA
If someone cleaned me out, the last thing I would care about are the mounts. I have the memories and the pictures of them and that is enough. There are other items that have far more sentimental value to me than any game mount. For example the wooden decoys my Dad carved and hunted over. My great Grandpas Civil War BP rifle and many other things. Hate to say it, but some of ya are way too attached to the mount and not the experience and memory. Pictures are worth far more than any mount.:cheers:
To each his own DADAKOTA....I don't own any hand carved decoys or a Civil War rifle....With only a few exceptions pretty much everything in this house was purchased by myself and my wife with cash dollars. It can all be replaced by going to the nearest shopping center....except for the deer heads which are one of a kind....shot on my grandfathers farm and very special to me. As far as being way too attached to the mount and not the experience or memory..you are full of crapola if you don't mind my saying. Sure I have pictures and sure I have memories but I would be sick if the mounts were to disappear. Those mounts serve as re-enforcement of the memories...kind of "bring the hunt home" if you will. They are part of what makes my house my home. Surely you can understand that.

·
5,606 Posts
Originally posted by archer66
To each his own DADAKOTA....I don't own any hand carved decoys or a Civil War rifle....With only a few exceptions pretty much everything in this house was purchased by myself and my wife with cash dollars. It can all be replaced by going to the nearest shopping center....except for the deer heads which are one of a kind.
Ditto.

·
Registered
17,011 Posts
very true and i am probably as guilty as anyone. sometimes just catching a glance of one of my mounts takes me back to that time but in the scheme they are not worth much other than memories. i wouldn't take pics of them or measurements that way if i had replicas made they would grow bigger.:D

·
Registered
14,241 Posts
Mounts can trigger memories, but it is the memories that have value. Pictures trigger memories also. I may just not get the attachment to a mount. I am in no way validated by any mount I have or the amount of game or fish I harvest. My ego is not why I hunt or fish. The only time I strive for the most or the biggest is in a fishing tournament. At the end I let them go and am thankful for the experience. I am not saying there is anything wrong with being into one's mounts. To each his own. For me there are many things I would hate to lose worse than a mount. For one would be the pictures/videos of my kids growing up and through the years. But that is just me. Whatever floats your boat.:cheers:

·
Registered
38,389 Posts
Dadakota...You have a Civil War Rifle, and you haven't shared PICTURES???? Dangit man, let's see that piece of history!!!!!!!!:woot:

·
Registered
14,241 Posts
Split stock and all Fireman. It was last shot to kill a cat on top of the outhouse. Cat wasn't quite dead so grandpa introduced it to the butt of the gun and cracked the stock. I'll get a picture next time I get the camera out.

·
Former Chicken Man
20,095 Posts
Mounts can trigger memories, but it is the memories that have value. Pictures trigger memories also. I may just not get the attachment to a mount. I am in no way validated by any mount I have or the amount of game or fish I harvest. My ego is not why I hunt or fish. The only time I strive for the most or the biggest is in a fishing tournament. At the end I let them go and am thankful for the experience. I am not saying there is anything wrong with being into one's mounts. To each his own. For me there are many things I would hate to lose worse than a mount. For one would be the pictures/videos of my kids growing up and through the years. But that is just me. Whatever floats your boat.:cheers:
Hmmmmmmm, you look at mounts differently than I do. To me they're exciting reminders of hunts I've been on, they're real instead of just pictures and I'm surrounded by them all the time. I don't have to dig out old film pictures, and I don't have to go through folders on my computer to look at them. All I have to do is look around the room.
Ego doesn't play any role in it for me, because I have the mounts for my pleasure rather than what you're suggesting. I enjoy showing them to people, but I'd still have them even if nobody but me ever saw them. I think of the hunts and the people I was with at the time (on the ones where I wasn't hunting alone), and especially when I'm dusting them each one gives me the feeling I had the day I killed it. One example is a deer I shot from Shawncat's stand, went over to it and called Shawn from my cell phone. While he was on his way out to gut and drag that deer, I used that deer like a big pillow and just stretched out there on the ground and watched/listened to the various critters as it got dark. Some of these mounts are from a long time ago, and they give me a sense of the freedom I had at the time and some favorite hunting spots that I'll never see again.

They remind me of the days when I didn't have to rely on good friends to catch me when I fall. :cheers:

·
Registered
14,241 Posts
I hear ya Kurt. As I said to each his own. I do believe ego is a big part of it for a lot of folks. For me I cherish the memories that are ingrained in my brain. I don't want to knock anyone for what they like. I'd just save other things before I'd save my mounts in case of a fire. Just my opinion. I'll durn sure try and catch ya if ya fall again while I'm there. Have a great Christmas.:cheers:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts